• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which BMW

jaherbst

Jack Herbst
Which BMW model is the most popular with women and why. I am trying to get my SO off her Dyna Low Rider Harley onto a BMW with little success. I am thinking R1200R, F650GS, F800ST or ? What would you suggest and for what reasons. She is 5"7" and medium build. Short to medium trips up to 1000 miles.

Thanks,

Jack

Difficult (and extremely dangerous) to make generalizations about women riders. I see many women on the G650GS (Single Cyl) and it's predecessors in several different variations. Also the F650GS (Twin Cyl) is seems popular. But just like men, what women ride is a factor of stature, experience, skill, money, anticipated use and preference. Coming off a Harley she may want a bigger bike. If so, then the R1200R is a great choice in my opinion.

I know of a lot of women that ride RT's, 1200 GS's and K1200/1300 bikes. AKBeemer is right. It's difficult to make generalizations.
Have your SO do some test rides at your dealer. She can always start out testing a 650 and work he way up to what she's comfortable with. And it goes without mention;
She should make the decission.

My buddies with "big" beemers always referred to my K75 as a girl's bike. Of course, if she's infatuated with the Harley a chrome plated R1100C might be the way to go. :D

What - if any - factors contribute the the sutability of her Harley compared to various model BMWs? Is height or inseam (short legs) a factor? Is upper body strength a factor? Is experience level a factor? Is the riding position a factor.

Without knowing this it is hard to answer the question. Voni has had a few K75s, an F650, an R65, an R80, two R1100RSs, an R1100S, an F800s, and a few more too.

Other than the R1200C no BMW will approximate the feet forward seating position. A standard K75, F650GS or Dakar, or other GS or RT will be quite upright seating but not forward controls. One of the roadster models, R1100R, R1150R, R1200R are almost upright but not quite.

The S and RS models are more sport-riding (forward leaning) yet.

But if you want one model to guess with it would be a K75 low seat standard.

Have you looked at the new R-1200-RT's and GS's that come from the factory lowered. They have all of the options of the other bikes minus the adjust on the fly suspension. I did sit on the lowered R-1200-GS and with a 29" inseam could almost flat foot the bike. Good luck in your search.

K12R gets my vote! She won't know what to do with all that power!

Or maybe she will get an S and all you will see on your R is a tail light:brow

Know a few women who came from Cruisers and know exactly what to do with more power...I see tail lights a lot:thumb

my 2 cents

I have witnessed experienced riders trying to transition from a "low seats" (H-D Dyna, 883, other cruisers) to "higher" (R-RT, R-GS, etc) with difficulty. Sitting higher can give a sense tipping over earlier.

On the other hand, I have seen the opposite when people go from the higher bikes to the "lows".

The fact that your SO likes to ride is good enough. Let her ride what she likes, and just have fun!:brow

She should ride, what ever makes her happy!

Although I understand the reason why you want her to "Upgrade"(LOL...) to a BMW, I agree,she should ride what she likes!! Count yourself lucky,she rides her own bike!!! Been trying to convince my girlfriend to just try the motorcycle course to see if she'd like it,(on my cost) but no luck! She's happy to be the passenger she says!

Rule 1: anything you recommend will be wrong, she will find some minor fault to make the rest of your life miserable

Rule 2: Refer to Rule 1

Let her choose whatever she wants...BTDT, enough times to now know better

Dang, to this day I miss my K75S, but the R1200GS is looking like a keeper.

I agree that whatever she is comfortable with is the right one. Your dealer can help with test and fit.
A lot depends on inseam and anticipated riding style, on- or off- road or a combination thereof.
I found my R1150R to be a good compromise, although I can't speak to the newer R1200R having not ridden one.

You won't achieve anything if she thinks you are scheming to get her off her Harley.

Why don't you take her along to the dealer because you want to test ride something. Perhaps you can get the salesman to offer her a ride on one so that she can ride along.

It will have to be her decision and she will have to conclude that the bike is right for her.

Just be careful that you don't get sucked into buying a new bike for yourself.

ask her what type of riding would excite her....I mean a cruiser to me is one dimensional and you can only ride one way....straight and on tar. :brad

Seriously, if she is intersted in ADV riding then look at the GS family. Depends on money, interest and how adventurous she might be.

I absolutley love my R 1200 R! It took some getting used to. I had to work my way up from a Honda Hawk but I'm so glad I did! I feel like I'm flying!

Back