• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PENNY pinching idea's:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Anybody have any great suggestions, so I can PAY for my gas to Pennsylvania this year!!! I camp, try to eat less on the road and may even have to slow down my GSA1200 to PENNY pinch my way along the USA byways this Summer. Any tips may help me get a few more miles:). I'm trying from the West Coast this year again:). Its usually a 8000m loop for myself and all my sightseeing and I figure my purse must get bigger soon. We are over the 4 dollar thing out here already. The rally in PA this year is a great locale I want to see again and again. Those smaller BMWs get more and more interesting with their better MPGs:), which the GSA is poor in this regard:(. Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear":thumb

I thought you couldn't make it. I'm glad things have changed.

Maybe shipping your luggage? Don't know how much difference the weight will change your gas mileage. Just thinking out loud.

If you're planning to stay in hotels, sign up for whoever has the best plan to earn free nights.

Anybody have any great suggestions, so I can PAY for my gas to Pennsylvania this year!!! I camp, try to eat less on the road and may even have to slow down my GSA1200 to PENNY pinch my way along the USA byways this Summer. Any tips may help me get a few more miles:). I'm trying from the West Coast this year again:). Its usually a 8000m loop for myself and all my sightseeing and I figure my purse must get bigger soon. We are over the 4 dollar thing out here already. The rally in PA this year is a great locale I want to see again and again. Those smaller BMWs get more and more interesting with their better MPGs:), which the GSA is poor in this regard:(. Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear":thumb

I've checked out a few of these...interesting

http://freecampgrounds.com/

Hospitals have at time decent meals in their cafetieres at decent prices. Catching a few ZZzz in their Emergency waiting rooms I've been known to camp out..:)

If you go on Wednesday and volunteer for early set up they will let you camp Wednesday night. Saves one night camping fees for someplace else. :thumb
Mike

Knew a guy once that went from PA to CA, on a Triumph, only bought a couple tanks of gas.

He would stop at the SERVICE station, you know when they did repairs too. He would offer to clean their rest rooms for some gas. As they could make more $$ changing tires and fan belts, most jumped at the offer, and gladly topped his tank and Jerry can.

Probably still could be done, but much harder.

One of the best ways we've found to cut costs while traveling (car or bike) is to eat out as little as possible. On bike trips we shop at grocery stores and cook at camp. For the price of a sit down meal you can buy enough raw food to last for several meals, and it's usually better for you. It takes more effort but it saves money and adds to the experience. With practice you can get pretty good at it as evidenced by the attached picture. Pancakes are from scratch by the way and all done on a one burner stove.

Attachments

• breakfast in whitehorse.jpg
    breakfast in whitehorse.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 296
Randy, if you are going to be part of the GS Giant and have contacts from previous years why not hop a ride with a vendor ? Not to mention any names but there is a California missionary bringing the GS spirit of community to Bloomsburg that lives southwest of you. There are two aftermarket manufacturers from the PAC West that may have an empty space for you and your bike. And didn't you drive truck once in your life ?

I could even fill your GS tank if you are tagging along with the GS Giant crowd. But you have to be here for that to happen.... :wave I certainly want to give you enough gas to get out of my area once the rally is over. I don't want Pennsylvania to be another Oregon or Washington filled with Californians unless they are here just for the rally.

:hide

How I save money is eat lighter and stay hydrated. I camp remotely or ask permission to sleep on church, Masonic lodge, and fire company property or if you can stand the noise sleep behind Walmart and slab rest areas.

Great idea Clay about ER waiting rooms. :thumb

Last edited:
Thx:)

Well, I've made 7 of the last 8, so I did mention I could not make this one, but!!! I still try and may save enough$$$ and time off to make another, family willing:). If the TV News folks and talking heads are near correct, we may see 5 bucks a gallon before the rally, sad to say:(. Just because I ride a most expensive GSA Beemer, doesn't mean I can afford it, LOL...I take all ya comments to heart and listen well:), so thanks...This will get ya? I have a small acreage horse property and the horse hay is now at 18$ a bale out here, ouch:violin...They eat better than ME. Maybe I will go see my BMW Dealer again soon, for another look see at a BMW that gets good mpg's vs. this GSA. Randy:thumb

Randy,
Church lawns & cemetaries are great places to catch some Z's...
www.gasbuddy.com is a good place to find lowest gas prices in any given locale.
Hot dogs. Cheap, you can store them inside a camelback in a ziplock - That and a loaf of bread & a bag of fritoes, and you are full. They can be heated over a very small fire made of branches found under any tree.

If you want to stop in SW Missouri on the way, you got a free bed, meal & shower on the way.

Ken

Travel with friends that do not have locking fuel caps.

Premium-Grade Jiggler - Shaker Siphon Hose
$7.29
Amazon.com

Product Features

Premium-Grade Jiggler - Shaker Siphon Hose - Aluminum Siphon End

Just insert siphon end in liquid and shake up & down - unique one-way valve creates suction force

60" x 1/2" anti-static flexible PVC hose; transparent so you can see liquid moving

Great for transferring water and other liquids from one container to another

Extends filling reach without funnels; siphon-end diameter 1"

Attachments

• Siphon.jpg
    Siphon.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 259

Ride on the GS Giant Gypsy Tour... 3 nights of camping, two dinners and two breakfasts, plus FREE beer... just $100. :buds

more info in May issue of BMW ON.

ian

ps => it's really good to hear that you might be able to make it out here.

Randy, if you can make it to Kansas, try rigging a sail with your sleeping bag. Should the wind blow you my way, you can camp, eat, and shower here. I'll even make sure the gas can is full so you can top off your tank.

Since the rally's out for me this year, you have to go so I can enjoy it vicariously.

Tom

Travel with friends that do not have locking fuel caps.

Premium-Grade Jiggler - Shaker Siphon Hose
$7.29
Amazon.com

Product Features

Premium-Grade Jiggler - Shaker Siphon Hose - Aluminum Siphon End

Just insert siphon end in liquid and shake up & down - unique one-way valve creates suction force

60" x 1/2" anti-static flexible PVC hose; transparent so you can see liquid moving

Great for transferring water and other liquids from one container to another

Extends filling reach without funnels; siphon-end diameter 1"

I've got one of these, and use it all the time. Usually to empty old gas from machines during seasonal equipment transitions. One guy saw it, and referred to it as my "Midnight credit card.":D My only complaint is that the hose has stiffened over time.

It's interesting that AKBeemer brings this product up. My buddy introduced me to them. He first saw them... drum roll... when he was working in Alaska!

They're definitely a great product! http://www.supersyphon.com/SuperSyphon.html
(It's their company, they can misspell "siphon" any way they want!):nyah

Sell your boat,plane,other bike,truck.pick up cans, uses your BMW Anonymous Book
Or put in your 18 wheeler & haul it East

with gas approaching $4.00 a gallon and Bloomsburg 166 miles from my house i'm sure glad i ride a little F650GS

128331195.jpg

Ya'll coming through:)

Now this is what I call membership:). Great tips from all. Missouri, Kansas,Alaska and even NY on a F650 with a NEAT plate. Bragger @ 65mpg's. I'm saddened by that with my GSA1200:( and 39-40mpg. Ian, the GS Giant package is sounding very cool. Alaska! Does a bullet proof vest come with hose,lol? May have to cammo my bike a bit to shop gas this way:). The "church rest" idea is very warming an idea. I'm sure many may well be interested in finding ways to ride the USA, saving bucks where they can. I make a good living, so don't take me wrong for asking the Penny Pinching question, but its just me and my way to share. All the same applies to anybody riding through my town, welcome to my ranch:). Randy"Polarbear"Owens. Clovis,CA. :usa

and even NY on a F650 with a NEAT plate. Bragger @ 65mpg's.

it's not often that the little F650 can best the mighty 1200GS but in the MPG catagory we win hands down.

tell ya what, since your gonna spend so much on gas getting to the rally, i'll meet in the beer tent sat night and buy you a few beers to help offset the cost of your travels.

Last edited:
Back