• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth C3

Just finished a 5200 mile trip around the Great Lakes and thru the Midwest to PA wearing my C3. I also had upper forehead discomfort and looking inside the helmet noticed that it was right where the flap for the top vent (the one you use to block the vent in really cold weather) was folded under. I had no pain with that fabric in the winter position, so used a spoon to compress the foam there just enough to make room for the extra fold of liner fabric. Much better now.

I have some visor issues which Schuberth and RevZilla are addressing - so far I'm very happy with their support.

My one nagging complaint about the helmet is that the visor will not stay up and it has no city position (partly open). Coming thru the hot and muggy Midwest I would raise the visor at every small town, but it would abruptly slam shut at 30mph. In that heat, having a visor stay open till 50 would have been a blessing, or having a 1cm gap would have been nice as well. The slamming door effect got old quickly, and I found myself holding the visor open with my left hand. I could lift the chin guard, but with my big chin pulling it down again is a two handed process as the wind curtain has to be held or the guard won't latch.

Did I mention it was the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn..?

Here's Schuberths official response.

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the base plate mechanisms cannot be tightened.

This is actually a feature that was built into the design on the helmet.

The Faceshield is designed to close at speeds of around 30-45 MPH (depending on bike, riding position etc.)

Michael Talarico

Technical Communications Manager

Certified Master Technician

Schuberth North America

27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175

That seems like a really lame excuse. The visor should stay put whatever position its in. My Arai never moved once set - of course it was also far more difficult to remove.

The issue is there is not enough tension on the ratchet to hold it in place. I fixed mine with a couple of furniture sliders. Can't even tell they are there. Occasionally it will still close during a heavy gust or shuddering from dirty air but for the most part works well.

Overall I think it's a great helmet except for this one issue.

Rising disappointment with C3

I've had my C3 for about three months now. For $700, I expected more.

The good:

It is the quietest and lightest helmet I've experienced.
The internal sun visor is a huge improvement over wearing sunglasses in a helmet.
It is the best-vented helmet I've experienced. Open the chin vent and the top vent and a wind-tunnel moves across the faceshield, quickly removing fog and condensation.

The bad:

The faceshield is locked to the chin bar by two locking plastic levers. These levers appear to be a five-cent ABS plastic part. One of mine fell off. At first, Schuberth wanted me to ship the helmet to them at my expense so they could snap in a five cent part. A $700 helmet shouldn't have fit and finish issues like cheap little plastic parts falling off. Schuberth has just agreed to send me the replacement plastic part for free, and to let me install the part. They really tried to encourage me to send it in for repair. I wasn't thrilled about spending $40 to ship my helmet so they can spend 10 seconds snapping in a five cent part.

I got a nasty scratch on my faceshield. A replacement faceshield costs $89. That's outrageous.

The faceshield won't stay up when moving at speed. Reach a certain speed and the wind slams the visor down. That's no good.

My prior recommendation of this helmet has been downgraded to "neutral". If Schuberth makes this easy, I'll again recommend the helmet, but with the warning that replacement faceshields are insanely over-priced, and that the faceshield removal levers are cheap plastic crap that can simply fall out of the helmet while riding.

Last edited:
C3 with camelback issue

The base of the C3 is so constructed and closed around the lower front (even with optional chn piece removed) that using a hydration pack water tube requires raising of the chin bar to provide access to the hydration tube. Not a huge issue, but does require extra step that my Arai didn't.

If anyone has found a way around that I'm sure interested to hear it.

Mine is low enough forward, the I can just crack the faceshield open and stick the drink tube in my mouth from the top of the chinbar. No problem.

My wife and I are at the rally in Bloomsburg and we stopped at the Schubert booth to ask again about the visor closing at ~25 MPH. They reiterated that it is designed that way and nothing can be done/adjusted. I have taken my foam earplugs, compressed them and placed them in the middle of the baseplate, snapped on the shield and so far so good. Their suggestion was to place a piece of foam under the visor in a different location. Not for anything but that is a bunch of crap for a 700 dollar helmet.

Before I put the foam in she was using a clothespin, he didn't have a response except to tell her she shouldn't be riding with the visor up (as we rode back to the B and B the bike thermometer said 102 and in the name of survival I wouldn't think of telling her not to put up the visor). My wife did not have a friendly conversation with the rep. A woman who was at the booth heard our complaint, asked my wife about it and when my wife was done the Schuberth rep couldn't wait for her to leave.

I laughed at her and said that what she gets for getting one of those fancy, highly engineered German helmets. My Nexx carbon helmet has a visor that stays open in any position (like every other helmet we've owned). We probably aren't smart enough to fully appreciate that if they decide the visor needs to close than that is what is best.:scratch

It's funny because if they designed it to stay open everyone else would complain how hard it is to close once it's open.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the shield is open your top vent is blocked so no airflow. It very much defeats any cooling your getting to your face by overheating the top of your head, making your entire body feel hotter.

The base of the C3 is so constructed and closed around the lower front (even with optional chn piece removed) that using a hydration pack water tube requires raising of the chin bar to provide access to the hydration tube. Not a huge issue, but does require extra step that my Arai didn't.

If anyone has found a way around that I'm sure interested to hear it.

I am using a 90 degree fitting from AeroStich with my Arai. Not sure if this will help.
The 90 is shorter then the CamelBack brand and I can get it in sideways and use it that way.

I have had this helmet since last November and love it. After riding with it for 3 straight weeks on a CA to NY round trip I have 2 complaints about it that are relatively minor. The first is that it is a pain to use my Camelbak. I found that I have to open the visor an run the tube in that way. With my old AGV, I was able to ride with the tube in place from the bottom without issues. As for the other complaint... This helmet gives a whole new meaning to "Hemet hair". Showing up to work after wearing this helmet for a while makes it difficult to look presentable. But it is more comfortable, quite, and light than my Shoei or AGV. After using the C3, I don't think I will every be able to go with a conventional helmet again.

Just my 2 cents...

It's been hot here in New England since I got back from the RA Rally. While recharging the SRC one day I wore my Arai on the commute to work. The airflow was so much better with a visor that stays put that it will now be my hot weather helmet. The Schuberth with that "as designed" visor that simply will not stay open over 25mph doesn't offer enough ventilation to qualify for the job.

Outstanding helmet in all other respects, but that visor IMO limits the comfort zone to below 80F.

cleaning

Do I understand correctly that it's not recommended to use any type of cleaning product on the face sheild?

Clean with a damp cloth..................

How do you just happen to have a damp cloth with you?

gsjay

Do I understand correctly that it's not recommended to use any type of cleaning product on the face sheild?

gsjay

I carry a wet microfiber cloth in a ziplock bag. When it dries out I dip it in Barley's water bowl. :)

gsjay

I emailed Schuberth asking that very question. I usually use a micro fiber towel and window cleaner that's window tint safe (no ammonia). My issue is what is soapy water. What kind of soap and what if the water is hard or soft? Its been 2 weeks and no reply.

Microfiber cloth lives in some shock cord attached to my tank bag. About 3 drops from the water bottle that lives in the tank bag gets the cloth damp enough to clean any visor, glasses, whatever. It doesn't take a lot of water.

I've been using "Plexus" product on my shield, and it's working fine! No problems whatsoever!!

Back