• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C3

2011-04-01_14-17-47_849.jpg

chin vent open

2011-04-01_14-18-02_309.jpg

and closed

2011-04-01_14-18-13_297.jpg

Well, against my better judgement I ordered a helmet on line. Revzilla's no hassle return policy made it a no-brainer. With a vendor this customer oriented I only hope that I got the size right ( I did call and was advised to go up one size)
I lead a boring life, I'm kinda excited to get a new helmet

A little more $$ up front...to get a tool of a life time...

...at least for me at 61:snore

e04zk9.jpg

God Bless America,
pipestone

I learned something about this helmet while riding today. Opening the chin vent at highway speeds is noisier. I would say it bumps the noise level by a good 3-5db considering how noticeable the noise jump is. I found that running with the chin vent closed gets pretty good ventilation. It feels stuffier by comparison but after a while you realize it's ok. When you take a deep breath you can feel the cooler air entering your nose so it still lets cool ait in, just not to the same degree. If I get a little stuffy I open the chin vent for a few seconds and then close it, problem solved.

My helmet does not have the velcro on the chin strap pads. Does anyone else have the velcro or is it just mine? Revzilla shows the velcro in their video and the manual says it should be there. I'm wondering if they made a change to the US version or did the quality control take a break during my helmets trip down the line?

Now that it's breaking in it fits great.

My helmet does not have the velcro on the chin strap pads. Does anyone else have the velcro or is it just mine?
EDIT: I mis-read -- I thought this was about the chin air dam; my Euro C3 does have velcro on the chin strap cover strips.

Last edited:
I guess when you pay good money for a product you get good customer service. I got a response from Schuberth first thing monday morning.

Here it is.

Mr. Tsonos,

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your concerns. Let me put your mind at ease and assure you that the Velcro type material was intentionally left off the DOT configured helmets. The information in the OwnerÔÇÖs Manual was prepared for global distribution, so refers to some features that are not applicable to the helmets that we get here.

While the Velcro could be seen as an additional convenience feature, the certification process required us to remove it. The ÔÇ£lawyersÔÇØ didnÔÇÖt want anyone to misunderstand its purpose and think that it was a stand-alone retention system.

I hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact me at any time if I can be of further assistance.

Phil Chapman
Dealer Development
Schuberth North America
27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175
Aliso Viejo CA 92656
949-215-0893
phil.chapman@schuberthnorthamerica.com

Love my C3

I've been riding with the C3 now for about a month and I love the helmet. I didn't get the Bluetooth setup because my FM hearing aids are Bluetooth compatible and with the C3 I can wear the aids under the helmet. I love the fact that it doesn't fog up. I ride year round and cracking the visor in the winter to reduce fogging isn't fun; with the C3 that isn't a problem.

Then only downside is it doesn't fit in my saddle bags or my top case. Without a traditional chinstrap and D ring you can't lock it on the bike. Not sure I would want to anyway consider the cost.

It is very quiet and another bonus is the aerodynamic design reducing the wind buffering of your head so now I can ride at 65 with the windscreen all the way down.

I presume you're talking about an RT.

Open the chinbar and then put it in the saddlebag. Fits with the chinbar to the front or rear, as does my larger Shoei MultiTech.

Added: Also fits in my "smaller than BMW" Cogo top case.

I presume you're talking about an RT.

Open the chinbar and then put it in the saddlebag. Fits with the chinbar to the front or rear, as does my larger Shoei MultiTech.

Added: Also fits in my "smaller than BMW" Cogo top case.

If he has an XL or bigger it may not fit. There's quite a jump in shell size from L to XL.

That would be a heck of a jump. Like I said, my MultiTech fits. I may be wrong here, but even the XL shell of the C3 is a smidge smaller than the Shoei Shell.

Regardless, a lot of riders don't know that simply opening the helmet and raising the chinbar will fit the helmet to the saddlebag. If that's not your eperience, that's fine.

Have a great day.

Greetings
I tried on a c3 for an hour at hermy's bmw today. I think I feel asleep.
I now have helmet envy.
Tony

Picked up a C3 yesterday to replace my 7 year old Shoei RF1100. I've never owned a modular helmet, never found one that impressed me enough to choose it over a standard full face. The Schuberth changed that. :dance I was comparing it to the other brands they had on display, and I would not have chosen any of the other modulars other than the very (way too) pricy BMW system helmet. The features and quality of the Schuberth had it miles ahead of the others not to mention the significant weight(less) advantage. If not for the Schuberth, I'd have likely been wearing another full face, most likely the Shoei Quest.

I got a 60-61 size (XL in US sizing) in glossy silver - also a departure from my usual black helmets. Nice to be able to get a decent colour without a whole lot of gaudy graphics - I'm not into the racer wannabe look, thank you very much. The display model was the hi-vis yellow, and while I respect that as a potential safety choice, I just couldn't see myself wearing it (I suspect my wife would have disowned me too, she's rather fashion conscious about that sort of thing and would have probably refused to be seen with me). Fortunaetly they had several other colours in stock to choose from.

I got it home and went to work stripping my Autocom headset out of my old Shoei and putting it into the C3. Very easy install, first helmet I've owned that had accomodations for speakers with no need to hack away a bunch of foam or liner to make them fit. :thumb I used the boom mike and it clears the chin bar fine except when the added chin seal piece is installed, but that item catches on my chin as well when closing the chin bar so a bit of fiddling is needed with it anyway. Probably won't use it most of the time, so no big deal. I did have to make a small pass through hole in the bottom neck skirt to let the cable pass out of the helmet. I also shortened the wires to the mic and speakers for a neater install as there was not much space to tuck away the extra length neatly. Autocom is way to generous with their cable lengths, not just with the headset, but with everything. Still, I think it took me less than an hour to get it all put together. :clap

I like that it comes with the pinlock visor, it'll be good to have the non fogging in cold and damp conditions. That was always a big problem with the RF1100. Also like the sunvisor as I can now skip the sunglasses. I expect I may be headed for prescription glasses before too long, :gerg so that makes it easier for those when the time comes.

Now if it'll ever stop snowing I'll go road test it.

I found that the easily removable top vent scoop is great for cleaning the bugs out. Also, if you lower your windshield and let the air hit you the helmet has incredible airflow. With full wind and all vents open you still need earplugs but not as much as other helmets.

I just got a C3 last night and rode about 60miles today in 20 to 25 mph winds. I'm very happy:D with the very low noise level in the helment.The fit of the helmet is perfect so far,I where a XXL and have trouble with finding a helment to fit wright on my forehead but seems to be a perfect fit so far,I think I'm going to really like this helment alot.:clapAnother happy customer.

Kicking Tires

I do love mixing metaphors but I digress.... Time for the Boss to get herself a new helmet so I dropped in at my local dealer - BMW ATL - last week. Fit & finish was on point - just as nice and maybe a bit nicer than my Arai XD. Parts Guru said different sized cheek pieces are available but not all colors are available in both mens and womens sizes. Which seems odd but after all, they are German :nyah and BMW bikes, parts and accessories have more oddities than Carters has Liver Pills. At least our owners manuals do NOT have warning to "Beware the Skid Demon" or "tootle your horn...".

I know she'll love the fit and finish but will cringe at the price. I'll most likely wait another year or three for myself as my XD is only 2 years old and has that wonderful beak which has no substitute when riding into the sun.

Remember when just about every lid had the attachment points for aftermarket visors?

And besides, since I have an 07RT and still have the OEM battery and a long dead fuel strip, better to replace those than replace the XD.

Love the communications options idea though I love the idea of silence even more and even more than that extra $800 staying in my pocket.

I have an HJC IS max, and find that the built in sun visor isn't dark enough for full sun riding. So I replaced the standard clear visor with a smoke visor, then use the sun visor with the smoke outer visor and all is well.

You folks with the C3: is the pull down visor dark enough? Or am I looking at another 85 for the smoke visor? (my HJC visor was only around 20 from my local BMW dealer)

You folks with the C3: is the pull down visor dark enough?
It is dark enough for me. Not sure how that relates to what works for you. I suggest you find someone with a C3 and see for yourself.

I probably should mention that I live in NM where we have a lot of sun and high temps. Yesterday coming home from Lubbock, TX it was 91 and very bright out. No problem with the C3.

yeah I think it is dark enough... it is definitely darker than the one on my nolan where I had to do the double tinted visor thing like you did.

so far on the C3, i just wear my normal glasses underneath.. no need for shades. Im in Alabama and its plenty bright and hot here already.

I find the C3 is a shade darker than the C2 if that helps at all. I don't think a strong sun will be an issue with this one as much as it was with the C2.

Back