• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddle bag liners

Rka

Just bought a set of RKA liners for a 2011 RT.

$85 for the 49 Liter

$105 for both side cases

Will post images and review once they arrive.

I had reall good service from a set of RKA bags a few years ago.

TLC Bag Liners

I had the RKA bag liners on two prior bikes (Hondas) but when I got my expensive BMW touring bike I had no more money so I got the TLC bag liners. For the money they are great and actually have more features than the RKAs that cost twice as much. Their purpose for me is pack them in either the house or hotel and lock in the bike. At the hotel I take the liners and always leave the bags on the bike. Plus your stuff stays cleaner in the liner than simply inside the bag.

Also I want to add that I have about 40 different canvas and nylon bags that I got at conferences that I used to attend but I don't use them on the bikes because using something that is not custom made wastes precious space in your saddle bags.

Hope this helps,
tsp
Blog stuff: swriding.blogspot.com

Freebies....

1234420738_YyL5c-S.jpg
1234420679_Ufvmo-S.jpg

A perfect fit and the color ensures that no-one is going to rip me off :whistle

Also I want to add that I have about 40 different canvas and nylon bags that I got at conferences that I used to attend but I don't use them on the bikes because using something that is not custom made wastes precious space in your saddle bags.

I agree with that. I am reminded everytime I take a trip that even the largest side cases have only limited capacity and with custom liners you get every square inch.

I agree with that. I am reminded everytime I take a trip that even the largest side cases have only limited capacity and with custom liners you get every square inch.

Depends upon the bag and the case. Plus, not all custom liners are equal. Case in point... the BMW liners for the GS vario bags are at least 3 times thicker than any other liner and noticeably reduce your carrying capacity. Yet they are custom made for the bike.

The plus side to the BMW liners is that when the vario case falls off the bike and shatters into eleventy seven pieces after being used as a the ball in a game of automobile soccer the very thick BMW bag holds your contents together, suitable for lashing to the luggage rack to get home.

1234774382_cqqGi-S.jpg
1234774338_hcXKm-S.jpg

Depends upon the bag and the case. Plus, not all custom liners are equal. Case in point... the BMW liners for the GS vario bags are at least 3 times thicker than any other liner and noticeably reduce your carrying capacity. Yet they are custom made for the bike.

That is a good point. Did your insurance covered that side case? The only liners I have had are Kathy's, so I did not know the BMW liners are that thick. Kathy's liners are not thick, but they are made of Cordura, so I would hope they would hold up reasonably well.

Another thing I noticed about Kathy's liners is there is a left and a right liner. They are not interchangable. I believe I read somewhere that the BMW liner is the same for both the left and right. The part of the side case that wraps under the muffler on each side of the Dakar is tapered from front to back, so there is a left and right side case (they are not interchangable). Kathy's liners are tapered to match side case. Obviously the BMW liners are not tapered to match the side case if they are interchangable, so you would have to lose a little bit of storage.

The TLC bags are fitted for right/left and model specific. $39.95 with custom embroidery!!! That's all I'm sayin...

AMAZING DEAL.

(and it ain't cause I'm cheap.. I did get the newest R1200RT BMW tankbag... )

That is a good point. Did your insurance covered that side case? The only liners I have had are Kathy's, so I did not know the BMW liners are that thick. Kathy's liners are not thick, but they are made of Cordura, so I would hope they would hold up reasonably well.

I replaced the BMW liners with Kathy's. That was a big improvement with respect to storage space over the BMW liners. But I was never happy with the vario cases and eventually sold them, putting Zega cases on the bike. Liability insurance only here, the replacement case came out of my pocket.

Kathy's are the ones I have, and I bought them from Bobs. They are made with Cordura, and are really tailored exactly to the side cases so you can use every square inch of the space in the case. My cases are expandable and the liners have a zippered gusset that expands the liners to fit the cases when they are expanded. I really like the expandable feature, by the way, because I use the cases on the bike nearly all the time, and when they are not expanded the cases look a lot more compact. When it is time to go on a trip, expanding both cases gives you a lot more room for the extra gear you need on a trip.

I was a little concerned about the expandable feature from the standpoint of keeping the water out with that expansion seam there, but I have ridden a number of times in real downpours without a drop inside the cases. But that brings up another benefit to the liners. Even if your cases do leak, the liners are waterproof.
Have these & agree on all counts!!!!!!!!

I use space saver bags inside the canvas totes. They're waterproof, and I can organize everything. Little stuff goes in the tankbag.

P

Kathy's??

Being the owner of an '88 Airhead can sometimes be difficult. So while people are throwing around brand names I started to do a little research. The idea of totes is simple but the elastic straps inside my bags are already starting to be, well, non-elastic. I really don't see me fighting with the tote and its handles trying to prevent everything from falling out as I close the bag. I mean, that is why I am considering liners in the first place.

Upon further research it appears that Kathy's is the only company that supports Airhead products. So I do believe that Bob's will be getting a call from me tomorrow. Especially since I do need a very distinct left and right bag.

Just $0.02 from an old fat guy...

I just received the bag liners from RKA for my "11 RT.

They are fitted L and R perfectly!

They each have seperate zippered outide pocket that's esily accessible when the side case is opened.

They have a shoulder strap on each if you want to heave the cases on the bike and just take the stuffins.

They have what seems to be a sprayed in coating inside foe additional waterproofing that seems like it would probably not be needed.

Black Cordura construction with double sewn seams and seem well worth the $105.00 for the pair from ASCycles.

I have had other RKA stuff on my GSA and was reaaly pleased with it until I melted it. That's not their fault!

Highly reccommended.

I have the Cee Bailey's bags too.
Bought them cheap on Fleabay
Being floppy is ok by me and I like the outside pockets.
Floppy lets me use them in my C50's saddlebags also.

Just ordered Kathy's bags from Bob's. I have seen them on (in?) another bike and was impressed by their heavy-duty construction, the inside and outside pockets, waterproofing, and the lifetime guarantee.

We'll see...

Back