• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone ever convert a telelever K-bike to leading link?

gtrider

Anyone ever consider doing this? None of the aftermarket leading-link manufacturers I've checked with have done this on a K-bike. Unit has done it with a GS, but they are not interested in doing the K. While I have a Steer-Lite conversion on my K it still isn't an optimum setup IMHO and since the center-hub setups are insanely expensive I'm thinking the next best option is convert to leading link and set the trail where I want it. Looking at the brick K1200GT front end, it would seem that the stock shock could be replaced by a sturdy strut of appropriate length then the stock fork tubes replaced by a custom-made set that would still use the stock lower ball-joint bridge and incorporate the leading-link setup and shock mounts. I have a local machine shop that does top-notch work and they would do any fabrication I need if I furnish them with the drawings.

Upsides? Correct trail setup, possibly adjustable trail, move the front suspension out where it's accessible (the current aftermarket shock has to be removed in order to adjust the preload-- about 2 hrs work!), and assuming the parts are made beefy enough it may add some rigidity on the front end setup. Also could possibly convert the front to a car tire at the same time.

Downsides? Looks and cost, and a lot of work, I guess--but that's why I'm asking if anyone's done this, so I hopefully can avoid the same problems or mistakes.

Input and advice would be appreciated..

Best,

GTRider

Have you considered this telelever mod, moving the ball joint mount point .5"?

bmwr1200cstrgmod2.JPG

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/Mountinghardware/leading-legs-arm-trees.htm

I have it on my "C" and I can one finger steer w/ no damper.

Yes, I have the Steer-Lite installed which relocates the bridge forward to reduce trail. That brings some issues on the GT, however--like the front fender touching the nose of the fairing at full suspension compression. And making any adjustments on the suspension is a royal pain as a preload adjustment requires removal of all the bodywork and the fuel tank, and removal of the front shock. Also, there is a limit to the trail change that can be done via the ball joint/fork bridge relocation. My rig steers well now but I think it could be better with just a bit less trail and a bit more rigidity on the front end.

Best,

GTRider

I once saw a setup like you're talking about. Its was a few years back so I'm working from memory. Seems like they did replace the shock with a strut. I think it was an EZS front end. You might google them and find something.

Good luck

Mike

Back