• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R.I.P Streetmasters Instructor Paul Palika

Turkus

Where to next ??
(Cross posted from my thread in another forum)
For any and all of you who were fortunate enough to meet, know, or be trained by this wonderful man.........

Gawd I really don't like posting stuff like this:

Posted in the North County Times (San Diego) today (Monday 03/21)-

A collision on a storm-soaked stretch of Interstate 805 in Clairemont Mesa killed a 60-year-old Oceanside man Monday morning, authorities said.
The man was identified as Paul Palika, according to the medical examiner's office. The crash occurred amid heavy rainfall shortly before 6 a.m., on I-805 near Balboa Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.
A motorist traveling about 80 mph in the far left-hand southbound lane of the freeway encountered slow-moving traffic ahead of him near Balboa Avenue, causing him to lose control of his Lexus SUV, CHP Officer Allen Reyes said.
The Lexus slid to the right, struck a big rig and caromed back to the left across the roadway, crossing directly in the path of Palika's BMW motorcycle, Reyes said.
Authorities said the motorcycle struck the driver's side of the Lexus, ejecting the rider, who died at the scene.
The driver of the sport utility vehicle was not injured. Reyes said authorities had not decided whether the driver of the SUV would be cited in connection with the crash.
The southbound lanes of the freeway were closed for the investigation. All lanes were open again by just before 8:30 a.m., Reyes said.

For those of you who have taken this class and met this man, you are MUCH better for the experience; and I'm not just talking about Paul's motorcycle ability.
Former Gunnery Sergeant Paul Palika, USMC was a man's man. Vietnam Veteran, MSF Instructor, Iron Butt Rider, the list goes on and on but most escape me now.
Paul had the unique ability to converse with you on so many levels, when you finished any conversation, you had learned something that you could take with you forever.
I had the privelege of being Paul's "room-mate" for most of the weekends that I shot photos at the Streetmasters classes in 2009 and 2010.
I got to know him very well and consider myself very lucky to have him call me a friend.

Rest In Peace Gunnery Sergeant, the world is a better place for having you in it !!

My condolences to the Palika and Streetmasters families......

PP 4.jpg

At the request of Walt & Nancy of Streetmasters - I am posting information on the "Celebration of Life" service for Paul:

April 3, 2011 - 2 PM
Kindred Spirits Dog Training facility
3343 E. Vista Way
Vista, CA

The training facility is located between Gopher Canyon and Highway 76.

Liz Palika wants this to be a big send off so please let everyone that knew Paul know about the service.

If you need a map or directions, please contact Walt Fulton at:

Walt.Fulton@streetmasters.info

or

Walt.Fulton@kmc-usa.com

or click here:

http://streetmasters.info/paul/index.html

Just got notified of a pre-service Run by Paul's Brother-in-Law, Bob Stout (via Facebook) and I am posting this with his blessing...

My brother in law was killed Monday on his BMW on his way to work.
There is a memorial run, followed by a service on April 3 - Sunday. The run starts in the back parking lot of Oceanside Harbor (where the tour buses park) at 1200, kickstands up at 1230. Up the 76 to 3343 East Vista Way (Liz's Training field) where the service starts at 2:00.

Any and all are invited....... :2thumbsup

UPDATE: If you would like to make a donation in Paul Palika’s memory, their service dog training center is a registered 501(c)3 organization.
Paul was very involved in the group.

Make checks out to Kindred Spirits Canine Education Center and send them to:

Terry Albert
14021 Earie Lane
Poway, CA 92064

You’ll receive a receipt for your tax deductible donation.

Last edited:
what a sad and needless waste of a person's life.

what kind of fool would drive 80mph in a driving rain?

sorry for the loss of your friend, and please pass this along to his family if you know him.

hopefully, the driver will receive punishment that reflects the severity of their crime. it wasnt' an accident, it was a crime. :mad

ian

Sad to hear another about another senseless death.

Somewhere down the road we should address the behavior of the car driver.

"The driver of the sport utility vehicle was not injured. Reyes said authorities had not decided whether the driver of the SUV would be cited in connection with the crash."

You can never be too vigilant. Be careful out there.

From your description of the accident, there was nothing Paul could have done to avoid it. It seems that sometimes life can be so unfair. Fair winds and following seas MARINE.

A memorial for Paul Palika

This was posted in my thread on Pashnit last nite:

Good evening everyone my name is Scott Stites I was a friend of Paul's. We lived in the same neighborhood and he passed by my home everyday on his way home from work. Often he would stop and we would chit chat. Paul and I shared several of the same passions (Marine Corps - Motorcycling - BMW's) and become good friends over the course of 7-8 years. Paul taught my wife the in's and out's of motorcycling at Palomar College and a couple of one on one sessions in are neighborhood.

All week I have felt like I wanted to do something in Paul's memory as my wife and I respected him so much as a man, a Marine and as a motorcycle instructor.

This evening I got permission from Paul's wife Liz to move forward with my idea. I want to get Paul a paver at the Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California. It would be a memorial so to speak so that all of the people that Paul touched in the motorcycle community could visit him and pay their respects while at the raceway.

I have also told Liz that anything over the price of the paver would go directly to her or to her organization Kindred Spirits. Liz has agreed to sit down with me once the funds have been raised to determine exactly what will go on the paver. I would like to get Paul the big paver (12x12) and also get Liz the replica. This comes at a cost of $600.

Please cut and paste this and put it on all of your motorcycle forums. Make sure when the money is sent that it is sent as a donation. Otherwise paypal will take a portion (3-4%) as a fee.

Paypal address is stites@cox.net

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/LSFund-steps

http://www.lagunasecaracewayfund.org...corkscrew.html

Thank you,
Scott Stites

Back