• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire size question

A

airhead6

I would like to be on a new set of rubber for the ride to Ohio this year.

I currently have a decent pair of Chen's and would like to replace with Metzers or the like. Does anyone have some good suggestions for a touring tire on these old bikes (tubes).

Also my tires are suppose to be front: 3.25 19" and rear: 4.00 18"

What does that mean? How do you buy a new tire when the tire listings look like 110/90 18". I figured out the diameter part but the rest has me dumbfounded.

Thanks again for the help.

Gmac

Mac50's

airhead6 said:
I would like to be on a new set of rubber for the ride to Ohio this year.

I currently have a decent pair of Chen's and would like to replace with Metzers or the like. Does anyone have some good suggestions for a touring tire on these old bikes (tubes).

Also my tires are suppose to be front: 3.25 19" and rear: 4.00 18"

What does that mean? How do you buy a new tire when the tire listings look like 110/90 18". I figured out the diameter part but the rest has me dumbfounded.

Thanks again for the help.

Gmac

You didn't say what year or model bike you are riding, but from the sizes I'm assuming an early '70's airhead.

3.25x19 & 4.00x18 are "english" tire sizes which have been replaced by metric sizes. The new sizes are not exactly the same, but you can get something in a conversion which will be close enough. However, you can still get quality tires in exact sizes your bike requires.

My favorite tires on my 1972 R75/5 are the Michelin Macadam50's. They have very crisp handling, are great in the rain, wear well, and really complement the bike - and you can get them in just the sizes you need. I like them much better than anything from Metzeler for the /5-on airheads.

Check out this link: http://tinyurl.com/4pjf4

Tire size

When I had a R75/5 it had slightly oversized tires. The bike came (used) with them and I never gave it a thought. Two up, and fully loaded at about 70 mph, on interstate 210 in LA coming back from a weekend in Santa Barbara, the bike had a rapid deflation of the rear tire. (no incident, other than the bike fell off the ramp when I was trying to load it into my truck a few hours later) An examination of the bike revealed that the tire had been rubbing on the inside of the fender. There was a hot spot on the fender where the paint had actually bubbled and burned. My theory is that the air in the tire got so hot and expanded so much that it just blowed up. Trial and error is a great way to learn stuff, but I would prefer to use someone else's error. Feel free to use mine. :doh

Bob_M said:
When I had a R75/5 it had slightly oversized tires. ... Two up, and fully loaded at about 70 mph, on interstate 210 in LA coming back from a weekend in Santa Barbara, the bike had a rapid deflation of the rear tire. ... An examination of the bike revealed that the tire had been rubbing on the inside of the fender. There was a hot spot on the fender where the paint had actually bubbled and burned. My theory is that the air in the tire got so hot and expanded so much that it just blowed up. ...

Some folks don't pay close enough attention to the little things. I'd say your theory is right. The tire-to-swing arm clearence on a /5 isn't very big to start with.

Greg Feeler said:
3.25x19 & 4.00x18 are "english" tire sizes which have been replaced by metric sizes

3.25X19 and 4.00X18 tires remain available. It would be illegal to mount anything else in Germany.

Try Michelin, Metzeler, Continental.

A 3.25x19 is close to the 90/90 19, and the 4.00x18 is close to a 120/90 18.

you could probably also use a 100/90 19 and a 110/90 18 and not have to worry about clearances.

Back