• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Famed CA.HWY 1 Closed:(...

Polarbear

Polarbear
Part of this wonderful highway has gone to SEA, just North of Big Sur and will remained closed for a good month to get a temp in place. Sad, but not so unusual for this 75 mile stretch of scenic byway. It seems we get slides a lot more, these past few years. I just rode it last weekend, camping at Gorda and riding the entire loop, so I guess I'm fortunate not to have used my GSA life raft! FYI; The highway is still accessable from points South to North but you must retrace your footsteps at the slide, about a 60 mile retrace to CambriaCA. As a tourist on a bike, I would "still" suggest doing this road this next few weeks, otherwise mid Spring should see it open again. Its a wonderful ride anytime, a National Treasure Byway:)...Happy Trails, Randy

1%

I have ridden this road just twice. I figure that's about 1% of the recommended lifetime dose.

Pic lifted from BMWsportouring
1220612653_CiwFy-S.jpg

That stretch of road between Cambria and Carmel Highlands is probably my favorite section of road in Northern California. Highway 108 (Sonora Pass) is probably a close second. Both have limited LEO presence and if scheduled right, limited traffic.

We love our HWY1!

She'll be missed a tad, this early Spring:(. I was fortunate enough to get my loop in just the week before this slide:). "The Nacimiento RD." is an alternate route, through "Hunter Liggett Military Base". A great ride from Jolon,CA off HWY101(King City,CA). Be SURE you have all your papers in ORDER, including a current insurance card on the bike!!! They ask for it all(and will CITE you for non compliance$$$$$, in CA.), going through this base. Anyhow, this road comes out mid way on the famed HWY1, near Lucia,CA. A very pretty curvy road through the coast range, on your way to HWY1...FYI:). Randy:usa

Adventurous Riders (AKA Dual sport GSA types) can get around the slide by taking Old Coast Road ... right at the moment a muddy mess, but when the weather clears a bit, an option.

I live pretty close to this area but personally prefer heading north on 1 - once i get past SF and get over to HWY 1 it is glorious all the way to the redwood forests and beyond. Probably been on a couple of hundred rides that way and still can't wait for the next one.

And it is all opinion, but the Dragon for me way a bit boring and way too short. HWY 1 up to HWY 36 and across is a day or more of twisting winding roads with amazing scenery. You can keep going north on 1/101 cost roads to Washington and never get bored.

HWY 1 up to HWY 36 and across is a day or more of twisting winding roads with amazing scenery.

Carmel Valley Road (G16) over to Greenfield on 101 ... you'll be too busy stirring the handlebars to even notice the scenery (which is pretty bleak...).
09.gif

Stopping at the Running Iron Cafe in Carmel Valley helps; Carmel Valley Road and Via Contenta [36??28'41" N, 121??43'44"W].

If you're eastbound, it's the last housely house for forty-five miles.

Three's a charm!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sunday, 27 March, 2011

A mudslide consisting of multiple rocks has closed Highway 1 in both directions at Alder Creek (Post Mile 8), which is 38 south of Big Sur. As a result of this recent slide, Hwy. 1 continues to be temporarily closed on both sides of Big Sur -- Rocky Creek on the north and Alder Creek on the south.

Due to severe roadway damage to the southbound lane, a 2-mile section of Hwy. 1 at Rocky Creek (Post Mile
60.5) continues to be closed in both directions. The closure is north of Big Sur from the Bixby Creek Bridge to Palo Colorado Road, south of Carmel. This barricaded closure is for all travel including emergency vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.

Hearst Castle (San Simeon) is open via the southern approach via Cambria.

CalTrans Report posted Monday, 28 March, 2011

So Big Sur is totally cut off? We were planning on camping there in June...

IIRC the south blockage is only a rock slide. That might be easily manageable. The road that dropped off the mountain is another story.

So Big Sur is totally cut off? We were planning on camping there in June...

We have reservations out there at the end of June too. I think the chances that by that time one end or the other will have at least one-lane access is good. I certainly hope so.

(pause)

I just checked the CalTrans website for road conditions. The northern closure (between Bixby Creek and Palo Colorado Canyon) is still closed. The southern closure at Limekiln is not mentioned; I take that to mean the slide there has been cleared. As to the other southern closure just south of Lucia, the CalTrans site said:

IS SUBJECT TO LANE REDUCTIONS IN EACH DIRECTION 0.5 MI SOUTH OF LUCIA
(MONTEREY CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 9/2/11 -
DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

So: access from the south is now available.

Last edited:
NEWT's:

Watch for "Newt" Crossings sign on Carmel Valley Road! Funniest sign I ever saw, for NEWTs:)....Yep, its a small salamander critter:):thumbRandy

Southern access is open to Big Sur. The northern end is expected to take a few more weeks.

Shot taken from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (looking south).

I swear, this should be the site of AMA Supersport Championship.

Attachments

• Hwy 1.JPG
    Hwy 1.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 328
Back