• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Good Experience . . . .

CTellman

Today I drove my S1000RR 330 miles for the first service. It was an early departure to arrive at 9:00AM.
Capitol Cycle in Raleigh was ready to bring my S1000RR up to spec. The rev limiter came off and a fresh oil change and I am ready to go. The most amazing thing was the motorcycle. What a unit! It is comfortable and smooth and very responsive. The seat was great but leaning on my wrists was uncomfortable. Once they are conditioned I will have no problem.
Capitol BMW took good care of me and got me in and out in about 2 hours.
They treated me like I was family!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Off with the rev limiter, eh?
Ooooh, you squid!
Just kidding Campbell.
Enjoy your prize!

Just curious, as a new rider ( 2 years) and having a blast riding my 120GS, what are the chances that I would be able to really appreciate what the RR can deliver. I might add that later this year I am going to the California Superbike School for a 2 day camp on the RR. I'm strongly considering getting one afterwards if it still seems like a good idea. I'm 55 but not overly risk averse. Any thoughts?

Living with an S1000RR . . . . .

I have had mine for about 7 months. We had an unusual winter and so I have only about 1300 miles.
I am 63 and the lucky winner of a 2011 S1000RR from this great group. I have been an airhead driver on and off since May 1972. BMW has always meant reliability and carefree miles plus quality. This new BMW is no different. It is easy to ride, reliable, smooth and fast as hell. Needless to say I will never use all of the power. I also have a clean license and low insurance rates. While I cannot do 800 mile days anymore (even on my R100RT) it is very comfortable. No monkey butt and once the wrists are conditioned a great ride. I recently drove it 330 miles for the first service. It is more comfortable at 100 than at 70. I have had it to 125 and it was as steady as if sitting still. The safety features are amazing! I have never felt so in control. The best brakes I have ever used and the flexibility of the "fly by wire" allows for the rider to tone things down for wet weather or move it up a notch for spirited use. It is so responsive that you can hit triple digits and back off to a legal speed very quickly. I always wear earplugs and the sound of the engine is excellent.
The riding position is with feet high and so it is important to be limber. I usually practice that move before driving off. The CG is probably the main difference from my airhead . . . oh and the power.
As for as using the performance I would say a track would be a wise choice. In our state 50mph over the limit results in forfeiture of the vehicle.
The kids with the Suzukis and Yamahas all look in amazement when they see an old man on the S1000RR!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Last edited:
Thanks for that great reply. Of course you know you have just made it seem even more inevitable that this bike will be in my garage this year. As far as the ergos, I stay flexible by doing yoga stretches regularly, so I hope that won't be an issue, but as far as wrist conditioning, mine are pretty thin. Any advise as to how to get that area strengthened up now? Thanks for the response and have you posted a pic of your bike? Would love to see 'er.

Back