• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 GS - Mounting Rotopax 1g fuel/water

robbflynn

Picked up two 1 gallon canisters (fuel + water) for my trip this summer (water for camping, fuel more for piece of mind than anything else). I've got the standard Vario sidecases, and I noticed that they fit almost perfectly inside the lid. My thought is to use a simple velcro strap to hold them in place, one on each side, keeping the weight nice and low. The Varios are rated at 20 lbs, and as long as I am careful about what else I put in the cases, I think this will work out well. Am I overlooking something? Is there a reason I should avoid doing it this way? Ideally I'd pick up different (ie. a bit more rugged) panniers and mount them externally, but that's not financially viable at the moment. Christmas gift to myself next year, perhaps :)

By the way, I've scoured these forums over the cold winter months planning and prepping for this summer. I haven't posted much, but have learned a lot from everyone here, so thanks for that :)

The only thing I can think of is what happens when one leaks? If they are inside with clothes or food, it could be a disaster. Also, I haven't seen a plastic gas can that doesn't smell, no matter how careful you are filling it. So I'd expect the gas smell to get on everything in the side case.

So, for me, I'd at least pack the gas on the outside.

Picked up two 1 gallon canisters (fuel + water) for my trip this summer (water for camping, fuel more for piece of mind than anything else). I've got the standard Vario sidecases, and I noticed that they fit almost perfectly inside the lid. My thought is to use a simple velcro strap to hold them in place, one on each side, keeping the weight nice and low. The Varios are rated at 20 lbs, and as long as I am careful about what else I put in the cases, I think this will work out well. Am I overlooking something? Is there a reason I should avoid doing it this way? Ideally I'd pick up different (ie. a bit more rugged) panniers and mount them externally, but that's not financially viable at the moment. Christmas gift to myself next year, perhaps :)

By the way, I've scoured these forums over the cold winter months planning and prepping for this summer. I haven't posted much, but have learned a lot from everyone here, so thanks for that :)
Hi Robb, glad to hear your enjoying the forums. I'm not a big fan of having fuel mixed with other items such as clothing or food. When/if there is a leak or expansion from heat spending the rest of the trip stinking of gas-well you know. If the water leaks your just wet and it will dry. I'm going to move your post over to the Gear section that way you will have more views other than the gang in Hex/Cam. Good luck, Gary

Hi Robb,

Also glad the Forum is helping answer questions for you.
I wouldn't put the fuel in a sidecase for the same reasons mentioned. Just like not being a good idea to put a container in the trunk of a car. Vapors often will get out and could pose a hazard of ignition inside the case, or as it is opened in the wrong place. There are outside mounting options for many sizes of gas jugs,even with the Varios.

best rest has a mount that replaces the passenger pegs. not cheap but a good setup to carry fuel externally and low.

You might be able to fabricate something that goes on the passenger peg. I came up with this setup for my Triumph:
DSCN1423855x642.jpg

DSCN13971944x1458.jpg

DSCN13991944x1458.jpg

That's a nice job, Dave! Really nice bike too.

Having seen both the Rotopax and BestRest products in use, I prefer the Rotopax for durability and slim design. My order (one gallon gas and water with mounts) arrives next week and I'll mount them to the bulkhead in my sidecar. Last summer I carried water in gallon jugs and my poor dog had to put up with them rolling around on his bed if I braked hard.

Neat tanks:)

I saw these first, just this past January in Death Valley, as many many bikers used these on dirt bikes and GSs. These are really neat how they mount. HOW much are they. I did not ask anybody and had forgot the name of the product, so thanks for sharing:). Randy

That's a nice job, Dave! Really nice bike too.
+1 :thumb

I saw these first, just this past January in Death Valley, as many many bikers used these on dirt bikes and GSs. These are really neat how they mount. HOW much are they. I did not ask anybody and had forgot the name of the product, so thanks for sharing:). Randy
Randy and all, I don't know on the cost but they are being used in a big way in the ATV industry. Especially on the larger units such as the side by sides. Most of the ATV catalogs have them. Gary

Yes, I saw the Peg Packers mentioned in another thread, but I'm concerned about the clearance both when paddling the bike and just in general for the big ol' boats at the end of my legs :) Plus, I'm not willing to spend $125 apiece for them.

I may end up just lashing one Roto to the top of each Vario sidecase since I won't need to go into either one until I'm ready to make camp for the night. I am going to look into coming up with a similar setup as the Triumph, though. That looks sharp! Well done!

BMW Panniers

Hi Robb,

I picked up two today myself - red one for fuel, white one for water (1 gallon size). I am planning on mounting them to the outside of my BMW Panniers on my GSA. Going to try a piece of rubber around the bolt head so the water won't leak through to the inside of my case. I am with everyone else, fuel and and water, other then a small water bottle, go on the outside of my panniers.

Adam

Hi Robb,

I picked up two today myself - red one for fuel, white one for water (1 gallon size). I am planning on mounting them to the outside of my BMW Panniers on my GSA. Going to try a piece of rubber around the bolt head so the water won't leak through to the inside of my case. I am with everyone else, fuel and and water, other then a small water bottle, go on the outside of my panniers.

Adam

Hey Adam :)

I had the Vario cases and ended up lashing one to the top of each case with some industrial-strength velcro to help with slippage and cushioning the plastic-on-plastic. Worked great for 50k+ miles of traveling. The only thing I discovered rather quickly was that with the 2L Camelback I also wear while riding, the 1gal of water (and the associated weight) was overkill. When I upgraded the cases this winter (the Vario's finally bit the dust - went with the Zegas from Touratech), I opted for a larger fuel can and smaller water bottles bolted to the rear of the panniers (larger fuel can is primarily for the Dalton this summer, but it'll come in handy when I'm out in the middle-of-Texas nowhere, too).

You'll love the Rotopax, though. Neither the water nor the fuel canister ever leaked on me.

Robb

Thanks Robb,

I had not realized you posted that way back in 2010. I am happy you responded though. I did not think about all the weight that the Rotopax fuel and water 1 gallon canister would add to my bike; especially along with all of the camping equipment, etc. I have not installed them yet on the bike. I may bring them back and look for another spare fuel option. Something closer to a half a gallon is probably all I need for my purposes.

Back