• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Roadcrafter--Does the Neck Seal Tight Enough?

Greetings
The neck on mine always stays nice and snug until I turn my head then the velcro comes loose. I can never get the velcro to stick again while moving.
Tony

I want one but can not seem to part with the money in case I am not happy.

:sick

I want one but can not seem to part with the money in case I am not happy.

:sick

You can buy used. The Roadcrafter is great, but not for everone. I know folks who have picked up suits in excellent condition for 1/2 the price of new.

I like mine plenty -- for running errands and commute like travel. If I know I'm going to be on the bike all day I prefer separate pants and jacket. So in addition to my one-piece I have a two piece bottom that I wear with a BMW Rally 2 Pro jacket.

My one piece is currently back at Aerostich. After 8 years it's time to refresh the velcro, patch a tear in the lining, and replace the back reflective panel that was torn in a low slide 4 or 5 years ago. I figure it will be good for another 8 years of the kind of (ab)use I give it once I get it back. :thumb

You can buy used. The Roadcrafter is great, but not for everone. I know folks who have picked up suits in excellent condition for 1/2 the price of new.

I like mine plenty -- for running errands and commute like travel. If I know I'm going to be on the bike all day I prefer separate pants and jacket. So in addition to my one-piece I have a two piece bottom that I wear with a BMW Rally 2 Pro jacket.

My one piece is currently back at Aerostich. After 8 years it's time to refresh the velcro, patch a tear in the lining, and replace the back reflective panel that was torn in a low slide 4 or 5 years ago. I figure it will be good for another 8 years of the kind of (ab)use I give it once I get it back. :thumb

Where would one find a used one that can be purchased in the correct size?

I wear my Roadcrafter zipped together for most rides. I have rarely unzipped them, though do for putting them in the washing machine. Very comfortable in my experience.

If the weather is hot, I wear Heine Gericke V-Pilot, zipped to the pants. All those zippered vents make it more comfortable than the Roadcrafter, despite that it is leather.

I wear one of the Aerostich wind triangles ( I have both)in cold weather .I have been in bad weather on the RS and the GS with my Roadcrafter two piece ,I have never had any issues that I would consider worth complaining about .

Why is that?

Because when I stop, especially in restaurants, I want to remove my jacket. Don't care much about removing the pants. A jacket will fit on the back of a chair. The roadcrafter one piece doesn't. At least it doesn't comfortably. Either you wind up sitting on the armor or people trip over (or step on) dangling arms and legs.

I could leave it on the bike, but when traveling storage space is full so I'd have to lock it down with a cable lock. I have such a lock for just that purpose, but then I have to unload the pockets. It's pointless to lock your suit to the bike if the keys and your wallet are in the suit.

For those, and other reasons, I find it more comfortable to wear a separate jacket and pants when on an all day or multi day ride. Jackets that I like include my current R2P and the Darien that I once had. I may go back to the Darien when my R2P wears out. I tried a Rev'It jacket for a short while but it was shorter than I like.

Makes sense. Yesterday was the first longer ride I've taken in my new one. When I stopped for lunch, I just used the cable lock that I was going to use for my helmet anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I did have to put my phone, wallet, and keys in the fleece jacket I was wearing.

My plan for the dealing with the R1P is to just unzip the sleeve cuffs and the main zip down to the waist when I stop in moderate weather. In the really hot weather, I will probably just slip the whole thing off and either stuff it in one of the panniers, or carry it with me (like into a restaurant). I really considered a R2P, but that is essentially what I have now with a Rev'it jacket & Olympia pants, and I know that I will almost always default to jeans instead of the Olympias.

I also wasn't sure about dropping that kind of $$$ on another piece of riding gear, but again, I really think it's worth it. I also called Aerostich before placing my order and was guaranteed that I could return it for a full refund if it didn't fit or I didn't like it, as long as it was in "new condition."

Last edited:
Here's a lesson I learned the hard way with my 1-Piece... dont just flop it over your bike after riding... My leg zipped touched hot pipes and melted, and I had to get a new one sewn in. That being said it took aerostich about a week to get a new zipper, clean, and rewaterproof it for me :thumb

That being said it took aerostich about a week to get a new zipper, clean, and rewaterproof it for me :thumb

I guess lots of folks send their suits in during the winter. I was recently told my fixes won't be done for about 3 weeks and that was 2 weeks after I sent it in (but figure at least one of those weeks the suit was in transit). I miss it. :violin

Yeah, they told me two weeks, but mine was gone 9 days total... this was in sept/oct so I could have it done prior winter riding

I guess lots of folks send their suits in during the winter. I was recently told my fixes won't be done for about 3 weeks and that was 2 weeks after I sent it in (but figure at least one of those weeks the suit was in transit). I miss it. :violin

If it makes you feel any better, they quoted me 3 weeks for production of my suit and it was at my door in 2 weeks :thumb

I have bought used Roadcrafter one and two piece suits. I had trouble with one being too tight in the knee area, and a person from Aerostich to me to trim a little off the side edges of the knee pads. The suit I use most often is an old one piece with pads without the plastic cover on the pads. I am sure they have less protection, but they are much more pliable and comfortable.

I've ridden many times in day long downpours and no rain ever got into the neck area of my Roadcrafter. It did leak in the crotch area "once" but some NIXWAX and treatment as recommended by the folks at Aerostich solved that problem. As someone posted, during warm weather you can fold the neck gaiter in half and it will "remember" that position.
I commute daily so after three years of on, off, on, off daily, I sent the suit to Aerostch to be refreshed. They did a great job at a great price.
Great product, great service, and money well spent.

Back