• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kickstand blues /5 or /6 LWB

A

airhead6

Does anyone have a really good diagram of how the kickstand connects to the frame on a 74 /5 or /6. I had a home-made turkey weld thing to the foot peg when I purchased the bike a few years ago. I have since replaced the footpeg with the orginal parts and have aquired an orginal kickstand with spring.
I purchased the clevis pin as it is missing from my bikes frame.
How does the pin conncet to the frame? and how does the kickstand attach to the clevis pin?
Clymers does not have a very good picture and I cannot tell how it all works due to the front engine mount bolt being in the way. :dunno

Thanks

Gmac

My 71 /5 used the engine mount bolt,IIRC.I replaced it with a modified Brown stand which also used the motor mount bolt.

Kickstand info#1

From parts manual. #4 would be the front motor bolt. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 105
SideStand

Change to a Brown's side stand best thing you could ever do. No more self retracting sidestand.

Cal Garcia
Sarasota, FL
1974 R90/6

Follow up

There is a boss on the frame facing the road under the bike that the side stand hinges on. The pin holds the stand in place. #3 and #6 in the illustration are the attachment points for the center stand springs. The angled tang on the bottom of #6 meets the end of the side stand boss when installed correctly. The side stand spring attaches lower than the center stand spring on the left side, maybe #17 on the illustration. This is essential to keep springs from interfering with each other. I put springs on a friends bike last weekend and got a good look at the nomenclature. It's all tucked away in a potentially filthy crevice.

Cal said:
Change to a Brown's side stand best thing you could ever do. No more self retracting sidestand.

Cal Garcia
Sarasota, FL
1974 R90/6

If you rotate the spring attachment at the frame end you can defeat that self-retracting/destructing featue.

Back