• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Racing Suits

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
Dear BMWMOAers,

I know that professional racers wear one-piece leather suits to race. As I plan on attending my first track day event at Grattan Raceway this spring, I am wondering whether textile suits are recommended for use or even allowed.

I understand that two-piece suits whose jacket zips fully with the pants are permitted but I'm not clear if leather suits are mandatory. If any of you have personal experience I would be interested in hearing from you.

As an aside, I would be curious which of the two materials is more durable/tough in withstanding abrasion with asphalt (I have no plans to dump my bike but it's good to know that I'm well protected should it happen).

Kent

P.S. I have a BMW AirFlow and a BMW Rallye 3 two-piece suit neither of which I suppose is ideal. Thanks.

It really depends on who is running the track day. I have gone to VIR and Barber for track days. Some clubs require leather, others will allow textile if it is either one piece or has full zipper. I have an Alpinestars one piece leather track suit. I'd also recommend a chest and back protector. Back protectors are usually required, chest protectors optional.

I know you don't 'plan' on dumping the bike, but no one plans to! It happens. It can happen and not even be your fault. Maybe you are leaned over in a corner and hit oil, or the guy in front slows down and you hit his rear tire, or a deer jumps out, or....

Leather does protect better than Textile. A good leather suit can skid on the asphalt many times before it is shot. You can't get better protection.

Cow leather protects as well as Kangaroo, but Kangaroo leather is MUCH lighter. If you become a serious track rider, go Kangaroo, but you'll pay 2 to 3x more for it.

You can also rent suits at most tract days. Consider that, too.

Most tracks I have attended require the helmet to be no more than 5 years old, and they check the date of manufacture at the tech inspection.

If you buy a suit, go for perforated. You get very hot in a leather suit w/o perforation.

Motorcycle superstore usually has great prices, and they have one suit on closeout for $400.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/22500/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Tattoo-One-Piece-Leather-Suit.aspx

A suit should fit snugly, too. Don't get one too large as it should be tight and stretch with use so that it fits snugly on your body.

Finally, if you have time, old 'racers' sell their suits all the time on craigslist and ebay, and you can get a good deal. It won't be too long till you see mine for sale!

Finally, you also need to check what they require of the bike, if you are not renting one. Minimally, I've never been to a track that didn't require the oil fill and drain to be wire tied. It is easy to do and you can buy the tool cheaply if you shop around.
Robo

Last edited:
If this is a track day sponsored by BMW SEMI then I'm betting textile will be fine. Their track days are very well run, splitting classes into groups of 5-7 riders, each with an experienced rider/coach in the lead. After a few sessions they'll give you a lot more latitude, but the coaches are out there to give advice and assistance if needed.

Motorcycle superstore usually has great prices, and they have one suit on closeout for $400.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/22500/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Tattoo-One-Piece-Leather-Suit.aspx

I'd pay a lot extra to NOT look like that.

2010-Fieldsheer-Tattoo-One-Piece-Leather-Suit-Black-White.jpg

Two piece textile is fine if it zips together. I am sure this is the track day Southeast BMW in Canton, MI is attending. Call Audrey over there and talk to her. That being said the main issue with textile is you ruin the suit if you go down. Leather protects you better and is the choice if you decide to do this for a hobby. A friend of mine attended several last year in his aerostitch suit. You can find used leathers on eBay. If you want a new set or even used you will need to get your size. There is a Dainese store in Chicago that carries them, Baird Cycles in Elkhart, IN carries Alpinestars suits and Sportbike Trackgear in MI carries suits as well. I am not sure where you are located but as you are attending Grattan I figure you are are close to one of these outlets. I have one warning for you.....it is addictive like crack so be prepared. Good luck.

Dave Aldana (the crazy kid from Pasadena) is a regular at the motorcycle shop where my son works.

s600_112507002.jpg

ian

Back