• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100 R Tire Question

easy

I have a '97 R1100 R. I'm on my third set of tires. Currently have Metzler ME Z4 but would like to go to something what will last a little longer. Thinking about a set of Metzler ME 880s. But, it looks like the 880s were designed for the 01-03 R1150 R, according to the ancient and outdated Metzler webpage. Their webpage also shows my rear rim to be 1/2 inch narrower than the 01-03 R1150 R rim. QUESTION: Has anyone put ME 880s on a 97 R1100 R? In the alternative, any suggestions for a longer lasting tire.

Easy said:
I have a '97 R1100 R. I'm on my third set of tires. Currently have Metzler ME Z4 but would like to go to something what will last a little longer. Thinking about a set of Metzler ME 880s. But, it looks like the 880s were designed for the 01-03 R1150 R, according to the ancient and outdated Metzler webpage. Their webpage also shows my rear rim to be 1/2 inch narrower than the 01-03 R1150 R rim. QUESTION: Has anyone put ME 880s on a 97 R1100 R? In the alternative, any suggestions for a longer lasting tire.

Switched from MEZ-4's to MEZ-6's on all the bikes and it was the single most productive modification that I've put on any of them. Liked the 4's but absolutely love the 6's.Tremendous grip in all weather, smoother and quiter ride, and much more confidence inspiring. They really transformed the personality of the bikes. Have a max of 4k on one bike (95 - RS) and it is showing some wear on the rear but not nearly as much wear at this mileage as did the 4's even though some riders report faster wear for the 6's over the 4's? Long life tires are cost effective but a compromise in most cases biased towards longer life and less stick. There are many of them on market. It's your bike, your money, your skin, your choice. :)

Last edited:
I love a good tire tread -er- thread

Easy said:
Currently have Metzler ME Z4 but would like to go to something what will last a little longer.
How many miles did you get from the Z4s??? I have an 1100RS and was planning to switch to the Z6s but were told that they were discontinued. Perhaps I got some misinformation and need to try another source.. Unfortunately the 880s aren't made in the sizes that I need - I would have to put another rim on the bike to have them fit. Now that I'm thinking of that it might not be a bad option...

boxergrrlie said:
How many miles did you get from the Z4s??? I have an 1100RS and was planning to switch to the Z6s but were told that they were discontinued. Perhaps I got some misinformation and need to try another source.. Unfortunately the 880s aren't made in the sizes that I need - I would have to put another rim on the bike to have them fit. Now that I'm thinking of that it might not be a bad option...

The little lady gets more mileage out of tires than I do but on my RS I got about 6.5k good miles and on the RT about 6.0k on the backs and perhaps 9.0k out of the fronts. Never enought on the fronts to match the timing of two rears though. I do change my tires a bit early for safety reasons so others might have gotten more. MEZ-6's REPLACED MEZ-4's in the Metzler lineup. Even though the MEZ-4's were discontinued you can probably find a few in vendors inventory. Try the 6's on your RS, you'll LUV EM !

Avon Azaro

Hey BG look into the Avon Azaro AV45&46 I think it is. If you look at the RS site you will find that most have been very pleased with them on that bike. I think they are my next set of tires. I dont care for the lack of wear bar on the MEZ6. The z4 is the discontinued tire, it is the earlier model.

lorazepam said:
Hey BG look into the Avon Azaro AV45&46 I think it is. If you look at the RS site you will find that most have been very pleased with them on that bike. I think they are my next set of tires. I dont care for the lack of wear bar on the MEZ6. The z4 is the discontinued tire, it is the earlier model.
I'm going with Z4s for now, then Z6s. It's a long story though - too long for this thread which I seem to have highjacked! Sorry Easy. I hope that you can get the 880 on your bike - I have it on the airhead and it's a great tire.

Another R1100R tire opinion

I conservatively ride a 1996 R1100R -- mostly touring straight up -- and got just over 6,000 miles on MEZ4s, and so far over 8,000 on the discontinued Dunlop 205s. The bike liked the Dunlops. My observation on tread depth: tire makers simply increase tread depth and add a little harder rubber to the center, which won't affect twisty-turny riding. The tires I see look like they're almost worn out brand-new.

You want life??

Scratch that.. Life and stick???

Simple.. Michelin Pilot Road.. FANTASTIC Sport Touring Tire.

I wasn't getting squat for life on my R1100R.. 4K-5.5K was about it with everything I tried, and I hated MEZ 4s..

My last set of Pilot Roads were good to 10K, stuck like glue, and worked great everywhere, including in the rain. Odd thing was, when I thought they were about done for, they just didn't go away.. I changed them at 10K and they still had good tread left. :thumb

Try them, and you'll love them.. And they're cheaper than Metzelers... :clap

I don't get it. What's up with this 4,5, 6 thousand miles on a set of tires crap. What are you guys doing to these tires... burn outs, haulin' cinder blocks, towin' tractor pull sleds? Jeez, I just wore out my 3rd set of Metzlers in a little over 2 years, 2 sets of Mez 4's and one set of Z 6's, and they all went over 13 thousand miles per set. This includes just about every kind of riding 'cept dirt, including the occasional track day. Most of this has been cross country with gear strapped on and the bags full. The last set (the Z6's) had a higher amount of interstate than normal. My typical day is well over 500 miles with a best of 1190 miles. And no, I'm not running these things anywhere near the cord :dunno

Tire Life

Well, for me, I know I'm damn hard on tires. Most of the time, I accelerate and brake pretty hard. It's what I enjoy. On top of that, I'm only 20-30 miles from some super twisty roads in Southwestern Wisconsin and Northwestern Illinois, and Eastern Iowa. This is just another excuse to ride like I stole it..

Even back in the old days, I was lucky to get a 10K out of a set of Metzeler ME 33/88 combo on my R100RS.. :dunno

Ozonkiller said:
I don't get it. What's up with this 4,5, 6 thousand miles on a set of tires crap. What are you guys doing to these tires... burn outs, haulin' cinder blocks, towin' tractor pull sleds? Jeez, I just wore out my 3rd set of Metzlers in a little over 2 years, 2 sets of Mez 4's and one set of Z 6's, and they all went over 13 thousand miles per set. This includes just about every kind of riding 'cept dirt, including the occasional track day. Most of this has been cross country with gear strapped on and the bags full. The last set (the Z6's) had a higher amount of interstate than normal. My typical day is well over 500 miles with a best of 1190 miles. And no, I'm not running these things anywhere near the cord :dunno

Maybe you could share your secrets to Z-4 and Z-6 tire longevity with us as I for one, would be more than interested in getting an education as how to extend tire life on these tires. Not trying to be a Smart A.. here, but if there is a way to get more miles out of my tires that I'm not up to speed on, I'm all ears. :D

I used to have an R and it had Michelin Macadams - the precursor to the Pilot Road. That was the best wet tire setup I ever had on any bike - those things were good in dry and great on wet - and they still had meat left after 6K miles when I sold the bike! You may be able to find some new ones in stock at very cheap prices -they are an older model but I think they are just a perfect tire for the Beakster.

Back