• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo 660 at Costco

clowry

For those in the market, Costco.ca is offering the Zumo 660 for $589.99 including shipping and handling. ONLY online, and ONLY until March 27.

For those in the market, Costco.ca is offering the Zumo 660 for $589.99 including shipping and handling. ONLY online, and ONLY until March 27.

Looks like a good deal. Amazon.com has the same price through JR music with free shipping also.

pick your poison.

Ok, thanks for that. Biggest difference for me is no a2dp in 220.

Good point--unlike the 660, the 220 is not designed to also be an MP3 player. That works for me because I prefer to have all of my music on my Ipod rather than spread across multiple devices like my satnav or wireless phone.

If not interested in BT.. I suggest look at NUVI 500/550. Waterproof, motorcycle friendly... and a steal. I used one as my main for a few years and now keep it as backup. I already had to send the Zumo 660 back for service and having the 500 was great. Really works well.. and after getting the Zumo.. I appreciate it more for how good a unit it really is.

And check this out:<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALDiGADCl9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got my Nuvi 200 at Sam's Club 2 years ago for $50.00. All I wanted was the GPS function. It's been working fine. I already have an MP3 player that cost me $39.00 at Best Buy so tunes were covered. If I really need to have the GPS on the bike I'll put a sandwich bag over it. I figure I can buy a bunch of them for what I saved on the GPS. :nyah

^Motor31... no offense, but your missing the point of what a GPS can do for you... that is CUSTOM ROUTES... cheap GPS won't accept custom routes. Point-to-point GPS to me for a motorcycle, is best given to someone in a car.

Totally missing what a GPS can do for you... i.e. I have created routes for the upcoming National Rally that you could download and take you for an incredible ride on roads that you would have NO idea about... all you do is follow your GPS and it would take you for a GREAT ride...

^Motor31... no offense, but your missing the point of what a GPS can do for you... that is CUSTOM ROUTES... cheap GPS won't accept custom routes. Point-to-point GPS to me for a motorcycle, is best given to someone in a car.

Totally missing what a GPS can do for you... i.e. I have created routes for the upcoming National Rally that you could download and take you for an incredible ride on roads that you would have NO idea about... all you do is follow your GPS and it would take you for a GREAT ride...

Got news for you. I can do the same thing on mine. I can also interface it with my home computer if I do not want to just set up my route by way points. You might try looking at what the unit can do before trashing it.

Frankly I prefer to look at a paper map, to select routes to explore. That field of view is far superior to the 3" x 4" screen or even the 20" screen of my home computer for seeing roads to check out when picking the tour of the day. Setting up the route on the GPS is neat and keeps me headed where I wanted to go. The GPS gets real handy if the road conditions are poor or it's time to call it a day and I want to head home the quickest route.

Like I said I use the GPS for navigation, not entertainment. I do not need tunes, I have a MP3 player and radio on the bike. I do not need to look at pictures on my GPS, I have better photo viewing options on my home computer. I do not need blue tooth for my phone as I don't use the phone while driving. The computer also stores data for me in a far more usable format than the pricier GPS units do. If you feel you need all that in a GPS system, have at it. I'll use the money I saved by leaving out all the frills on the GPS to buy more gas to go driving with.

Motor31 .. I'm not trashing the unit. Setting waypoints from the GPS interface is NOT what I'm talking about, BTW.

What unit did you get that allows custom routes, that is custom routes that you create on your PC and upload to your unit????

And the complete map of the US is at my fingertips on a GPS, I just drag the screen to see anywhere I want and zoom in or out to see roads, it is a MAP.. just electronic.

I'm not trying to argue with you..

EDIT: re-read, saw you got the Nuvi 200.. it can't do custom routes...

Motor, here is a "whole view" of a ride I have planned for the Rally. You certainly can follow this on map and I can send you turn by turn directions.. but this is what is going to be uploaded to my GPS (and many others) and it will take them on a "guided tour".. turn by turn in an area many have no idea about, and where they would be going, as well as "is this a good road?" (Without having to "guess") It is a 141 mile loop encompassing PA 125 (Pennsy's Dragon) A GREAT Ride.

Attachments

• shamokin.jpg
    shamokin.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 747
Im not sure what spurred the harsh response but having a gps that combines several features is a huge benefit when touring. I have a tom tom now that's equal to the 200 series garmin, just no BT. Being able to create custom routes is important because otherwise the gps will look for the shortest route. You can play with it to make it reroute to avoid interstates but you waste a lot of time doing it that way. If you have a bt headset in your helmet having a gps with multiple features allows the different inputs to have priorities so the gps alerts override music, and a phone call to override gps. Since the gps is mounted where you can see and touch it makes it easier to change music and see your caller id so you can see if its an important call.

Well gee we must have been using our GPS to make up routes all wrong then since it supposedly can't do that. But hey if you say it can't then by gosh we'll stop doing that.

Sorry to have brought up a less cost option to the thread.

Hey--this is a BMW board! "Less costly" is heretical. It's bad enough that people save several hundred dollars by buying the one that doesn't have the BMW logo on it!

Well gee we must have been using our GPS to make up routes all wrong then since it supposedly can't do that. But hey if you say it can't then by gosh we'll stop doing that.

Sorry to have brought up a less cost option to the thread.

Motor31.. Nuvi 200 specs(from Garmin website): (BTW, I have the Nuvi 205W model in my car- NO custom routes, so I am very familiar with the unit you have...) The spec of interest in the last one: ROUTES. That is the one regarding whether you can upload custom routes. GPS's that allow custom routes will have a number there, that is the number of custom routes that they can hold at one time. i.e. a Zumo 550 will have 50 in that field, it can hold 50 routes. If you can run CUSTOM ROUTES, you will also find a button for "Custom Routes" on the "Where to" option in your GPS.

Nuvi 200 specs (from Garmin website)
Basemap: yes
Preloaded street maps: yes (regional)
Includes lifetime map updates: no
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: internal solid state
Accepts data cards: SDÔäó card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 500
Routes: 0

I understand your wanting to bring up a low cost solution (and I've offered that with the Nuvi 5XX series...) but I just wanted to point out (what MANY don't understand ) is that there is a real difference in a low cost GPS that doesn't allow custom routing and what your getting in a unit that allows custom routing. Putting in waypoints along the way.. isn't custom routing.

But really, I'm not trying to hassle you, just explain that there is a difference.. "Anyway.. "Whatever floats your boat" is the moto I live by... I was just trying to give you an idea about what you "could " do...

For me not having custom map routing is a deal breaker. I have been able to route along the Blue Ridge Pky when the auto map sticks to I40 or I81 for example. Custom routs are the reason I bit the bullet and sprung for the Zumo 550. For me, after custom routing every other feature higher end units have like XM, MP3, water proofing, etc are nice, but I can do without. Also being to route on my desk top with the map detail it provides is a winner compared to routing on the fly which is almost painful.

Back