• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

AA Motorcycle Transport

I am booking with AA Motorcycle Transport to pick my bike up in Culver City and deliver it to me here in Bismarck,, $565 was the total cost, it is covered transport.

Thanks,
Shane

Epic Ride down Pacific Coast Highway

I thought I would share this quick little video that Josh took as I was experiencing the bike for the first time. He lives in Culver City and PCH is not far away, one of my favorite stretches of road, the bike is amazing and the ride could not have been long enough,

http://sharoncol.balkowitsch.com/bmw82.mov

Thanks,
Shane

Can't beat seeing an airhead, especially one having so much work done to it, on the front cover. hats off to the editors. Seems airheads are becoming more desirable as a ride everyday.

Thanks

Can't beat seeing an airhead, especially one having so much work done to it, on the front cover. hats off to the editors. Seems airheads are becoming more desirable as a ride everyday.

Thanks for confirming that my bike made it to the front cover, that is spectacular, I cannot wait to see. I think it was all the interest and responses out here in the Forum also that brought so much attention to my bike, so my hat goes off to each and every one of you who have followed our antics. My experience out here at BMW MOA has been positive in every way, so unlike the experience I had at the 356 Registry which was just a terrible experience. You guys are the best.

Thanks,
Shane

The Day

Josh calls this one "Men and Steel Horses", from our day together with the bikes.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 6-15-13_7.jpg
    6-15-13_7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 180
Pride in the Achievement

Who would have ever guessed this photo would take place, not me.

Attachments

• 6-15-13_8.jpg
    6-15-13_8.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 213
An airhead can git into yer blood like no other machine, have a good ride, and thanx for the thread. Each time another airhead is rescued, built up and shown, all gear heads git more ideas, and that's the real purpose of a forum. a forum is nothing more than, "Hey, look at this, Whaddayu think?" thanx again for the trip through your build.

Shane,
Very happy to hear your bike made the cover, and deservedly so!

The build is comparable to your 356 only in a different medium. Thanks for sharing with us, and kudo's to you and Josh for a job well done.
It may not be exactly what each reader would have done, but it's not their motorcycle is it? :)

Thanks again

Ken

Thanks

Shane,
Very happy to hear your bike made the cover, and deservedly so!

The build is comparable to your 356 only in a different medium. Thanks for sharing with us, and kudo's to you and Josh for a job well done.
It may not be exactly what each reader would have done, but it's not their motorcycle is it? :)

Thanks again

Ken

Your words are very kind and I have forwarded them to Josh. The bike is schedule to be picked up around July 17th.

Thanks,
Shane

I think this might have been mentioned before. You should have flown out to Oregon, met up with Josh, then go to the rally. I think they have a seminar spot open...have Josh explain what he did! :stick

Simply beautiful! I've been following along on and off. So nice to see the finished product. To be honest, I am not a big fan of cafe racers (I like to tour) but yours is very tastefully done and looks very rideable. Congrats and enjoy that beautiful machine!

I don't know if this has been covered before but what kind of mirrors are those? How do you like them?

Mirrors

Simply beautiful! I've been following along on and off. So nice to see the finished product. To be honest, I am not a big fan of cafe racers (I like to tour) but yours is very tastefully done and looks very rideable. Congrats and enjoy that beautiful machine!

I don't know if this has been covered before but what kind of mirrors are those? How do you like them?

Thanks for the nice compliment, Josh got the mirrors at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

They seem to work fine, must adjust them with a wrench so it is not like you can just grab and adjust it, you must loosen the fitting, adjust it and then tighten.

Thanks,
Shane

I don't see those type of bar end mirrors at that website. Any more specifics? What sort of adaptor is needed to the bar? What about the grips...were they modified?

Hey Shane:

Just got back from holidays, pulled out the mail, and there's your bike on the cover of the News! What a surprise!

That's going to be a long three week wait in July. Looking forward to seeing your pics of the first ride.

Thanks my Friend

Hey Shane:

Just got back from holidays, pulled out the mail, and there's your bike on the cover of the News! What a surprise!

That's going to be a long three week wait in July. Looking forward to seeing your pics of the first ride.

Yeah, Josh knew all along that it was making the cover and kept it a secret from me, I cannot tell you how proud I am of what Josh has accomplished with the bike and to have a Caf? be embraced by BMW MOA in this way speaks volumes about the editor and the staff in my opinion. We took 2 basket cases that would have ended up in the dumps and made something new out of them. I am counting the days, they pickup around the 17th and then will take 5-7 days to arrive back. I am having it delivered to my office where I have all my gear ready and I can take the bike home that night and leave my car. You have always been so supportive and I want you to know that means much to me. Have a great weekend, as soon as I get it back I will get some pictures. Paul D'Orleans from www.thevintagent.com is promising a story, he runs the most popular bike blog on the planet, he wants a picture of the two machines side by side.

Thanks,
Shane

I don't see those type of bar end mirrors at that website. Any more specifics? What sort of adaptor is needed to the bar? What about the grips...were they modified?

look to be pretty standard bar ends. In most cases you just cut the ends of the grips, put in the bar end and tighten up. Most bar ends have a bolt that when turned, tightens a nut that expands a metal clamp (only thing I can think of to describe it) to the inside of the bar. Nothing special

If this bike gets on the Vintagent, I'll surely be unsubscribing to that blog - no offense

What?

look to be pretty standard bar ends. In most cases you just cut the ends of the grips, put in the bar end and tighten up. Most bar ends have a bolt that when turned, tightens a nut that expands a metal clamp (only thing I can think of to describe it) to the inside of the bar. Nothing special

Nice

Last edited:
Back