• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Modeling Has Begone

Josh has spent a little time in the studio with the bike and he is not sharing too much until they are perfect, I am so very excited to see the bike in June,

http://beemersandbits.com/2013/05/f...paign=Feed:+BeemersAndBits+(Beemers+and+Bits)

Over the months I have been told by many of you to notify the MOA about the build and maybe they would do a story about our journey with this old basket case. Does anyone know who I would contact directly and their email address?

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 132
Shane -

There's infomation on the MOA main page about submitting a story:

http://bmwmoa.org/BMWOwnersNews/SubmissionGuidelines.aspx

Basically, you just write the story in say Word, include pictures, etc., and they'll do the rest. Rebecca and Vince are the people to contact. But I think you should be the one to write the story...you have the most knowledge about the project and of course, the most passion.

Perfect

Shane -

There's infomation on the MOA main page about submitting a story:

http://bmwmoa.org/BMWOwnersNews/SubmissionGuidelines.aspx

Basically, you just write the story in say Word, include pictures, etc., and they'll do the rest. Rebecca and Vince are the people to contact. But I think you should be the one to write the story...you have the most knowledge about the project and of course, the most passion.

That is just perfect, I will wait to get more professional images from Josh and I will send everything over, you are the best,

Thanks,
Shane

Shane, anytime a story about a motorcycle is written, it is more impressive if an impartial third party rides the bike to give his or her own opinion on the quality of work. I could be persuaded to be that third party if you want. Just let me know. :heart

Wayne

While I can say I totally can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into this, I am not into the asthetics of this bike. Regardless it is a great build thread and awesome to see the process/etc. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

While I can say I totally can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into this, I am not into the asthetics of this bike. Regardless it is a great build thread and awesome to see the process/etc. Thanks for sharing!

Yep, anytime someone does something custom and for their own tastes I am sure it is not for everyone. For me if I had to drive a stock BMW or a stock Porsche for that matter, I would probably pass and get into something else, but I love the German machines and have made them my own. Guys had fits, literally fits and were so abusive and threatening on the 356 Registry site when I decided to make an Outlaw, it was crazy. I have not had any of the bad experiences that I had out there, in this wonderful forum, the 356 Registry should take notes on how to operate a forum, and the people that visit here have so much more respect for each other, I am very thankful that I decided to document it here with all of you.

Thanks,
Shane

Image For All of You

Josh has spent some time in his photo booth with the bike and has many, many wonderful images, they are amazing, unfortunately I cannot share them yet because we have a few publications that want to do a story on the bike and they can get picky about images already shared online and going into a magazine. But here is one for all of you, when we have these publications ironed out, I will be sure to share each and every image with all of you.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 05-14-13_1.jpg
    05-14-13_1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 427
Coincidence, I Think Not

Look at the odometer as the bike arrived in Josh's studio for the photoshoot. 72 miles, the same year as the bike, a coincidence, I think not. :)

Thanks,
Shane

PS: By the way, I started my motorcycle safety class last night 5 hours of bookwork, next 3 days we do nothing but ride bikes.

Attachments

• 05-14-13_2 Odometer Day of Shoot, 72 Miles, the Same Year as Bike.jpg
    05-14-13_2 Odometer Day of Shoot, 72 Miles, the Same Year as Bike.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 191
One nice thing about old stuff is, whenever you please, kicked back in yer lawnchair, beer in hand on a beautiful afternoon, with the old stuff parked within eyesight, you can always decide to make a change or two comensurate with yer changing aesthetic tastes. Gittin the bike back on the road is just the beginning of a journey. Every winter improves the breed. Yer bike is wa-a-ay better than when you started. rubber down, enjoy.

Shane, what I like about it is you did not go too far. It is something that BMW could have created for a prototype. Beautiful.

Wayne

Yep, anytime someone does something custom and for their own tastes I am sure it is not for everyone. For me if I had to drive a stock BMW or a stock Porsche for that matter, I would probably pass and get into something else, but I love the German machines and have made them my own. Guys had fits, literally fits and were so abusive and threatening on the 356 Registry site when I decided to make an Outlaw, it was crazy. I have not had any of the bad experiences that I had out there, in this wonderful forum, the 356 Registry should take notes on how to operate a forum, and the people that visit here have so much more respect for each other, I am very thankful that I decided to document it here with all of you.

Thanks,
Shane

Wow thats crazy. I actually very much enjoy your Porsche 356. It's lines and scheme are quite perfect for this look. WIth the r75/5s I'm just not a huge fan of cafe's with this style tank/etc. Just my personal preference. The line's arnt quite my favorite.

But yeah I saw your 356 a while back and its quiiite beautiful.

Wish I had the $$$ for something like that.

Good luck with you rider training! I hope you don't have to wait too long before you are able to ride 'your bike'!:dance

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R

PCH and Rider Training

Just finished my 16 hours of rider training, 98% on written and 98% on skills course. Going to do some practicing with my brother's Harley in the next couple of weeks so at least I can go for a quick little drive for Josh when I visit him next month. I use to drive off-road bikes down at the desert here in Bismarck as a kid and it is funny how quickly it comes back. I also had a couple of years experience on a scooter in Orange Country going to college years ago.

Here is a picture of the bike at PCH as of yesterday,

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 05-15-13_1 PCH.jpg
    05-15-13_1 PCH.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 162
Nice job. Of course, I would have done it differently, but..... yea yea we all would do it differently. That's what makes it so cool. The lines remind me of the now gone Iconic Seattle Ferry, the M/V Kalakala. Glad to hear you are getting in some riding time. :clap:clap

I am Licensed

After taking the extensive training and safety course, all that was needed was for me to go to the DMV and take the written test and they have upgraded my license with the "M" marking, I am street legal. Just a few weeks now and I will see the bike for the first time. I cannot say enough good things about the course that I took, very detailed, we had hours and hours and hours on the bikes on the course, running over scenarios, making sure we could maneuver the bikes in all kinds of different situations, it was a bunch of fun to boot and it is amazing how quickly my bike ridinng days as a youngster on a dirt bike came back to me. Had a great time, the team of instructors were wonderful as well. I cannot say enough nice things about the experience. We have had some large rain here so hopefully over this next week or so I can take my brothers bike out a few times and get some more practice.

Thanks for all the kinds words my friends,

Sincerely,
Shane

Back