• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Josh

Just had a 45 minute talk with Josh over the phone, always good to hear his voice, we ironed out some questions we had. He is going to have the tins ready for paint hopefully in the next couple of weeks. We are looking to Spring as the completion date for the bike, that would give him time to break the bike in as well and make any adjustments before I have it shipped back to North Dakota. I am very excited to continue with this wonderful journey, it very therapeutic for me.

Thanks,
Shane

Dakotaians Unite!

Somebody up there in the northern prairie needs to loan/rent/give Shane a motorcycle so he can get a few rides in before the earth either freezes or burns up over the winter . . . Spring will come, and we hear now that this beautiful work of art is on the way home along with it. The rider must ready himself for the road ahead.

This machine won't be a living room ornament, and we don't want any abraded bar-ends nor head scrapes on those marvelous lustrous peanuts before their time, eh? That's just plain wrong.

If no volunteers for this worthy cause, at least North Dakota is one of the better places to learn to drive, ride a motorcycle, or fly a kite, and this new little baby isn't exactly a Goldwing. Besides, any guy with a Porsche knows some hand/eye coordination right smart.

This thread just gets better and better as time approaches. You and Josh are really building something special together, so don't let him get married again and take a long honeymoon until this is finished!

Walking Eagle

Thanks

Somebody up there in the northern prairie needs to loan/rent/give Shane a motorcycle so he can get a few rides in before the earth either freezes or burns up over the winter . . . Spring will come, and we hear now that this beautiful work of art is on the way home along with it. The rider must ready himself for the road ahead.

This machine won't be a living room ornament, and we don't want any abraded bar-ends nor head scrapes on those marvelous lustrous peanuts before their time, eh? That's just plain wrong.

If no volunteers for this worthy cause, at least North Dakota is one of the better places to learn to drive, ride a motorcycle, or fly a kite, and this new little baby isn't exactly a Goldwing. Besides, any guy with a Porsche knows some hand/eye coordination right smart.

This thread just gets better and better as time approaches. You and Josh are really building something special together, so don't let him get married again and take a long honeymoon until this is finished!

Walking Eagle

Dear Walking Eagle, damn I look forward to your posts, you have a way with words, don't worry, I will have practice under my belt, I will take the safety class and with license before driving the Cafe Racer, this summer just gotten away from me, but trust me, in the spring, it will be done and I will post my progress. You are absolutely correct, it will be driven, I just turned over 3000 miles on my Porsche and people always say "why do you drive that car around?" and I say "Not driving this car would be like being married to a super model and not being able to sleep with her!" Jay Leno says, restore the vehicle to 100 Point Concourse Perfection and then drive it until it is down to 1 and restore it again, I like that philosophy.

Thanks again,
Shane

Last edited:
Shorai

We are going to go with the Shorai battery for under the rear cowl, hidden and out of view.

Product Information -
BrandShorai Inc
Manufacturer Part Number42-3813
Item Weight 4 Pounds
Height 8.30 inches
Length 9 inches
Width 5 inches

Ordered it today, cheapest on Amazon. $182.28.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Shorai Battery for Under Bike Seat.jpg
    Shorai Battery for Under Bike Seat.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 131
Race Stripe

After much playing around, I think Josh and I have come up with the magical width of the Porsche White race stripe for the bike. 3" appears to be just perfect. It was important for me to have it be wide and beefy and to encompass the gas filler and the emblem on the ass end of the bike, and as you can see from our tape mockup, mission accomplished! :twirl

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 08-21-12_1 Race Stripe Width.jpg
    08-21-12_1 Race Stripe Width.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 120
License Place Bracket

Josh was just not happy with what he had going for the license plate bracket so he got some aluminum and fabricated a newer one, it sits more snug up under the seat cowl. I think we will have it painted with the tins,

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMAG0854.jpg
    IMAG0854.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 318
Picture

Not the best picture but gives you an idea as to what it looks like.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMAG0857.jpg
    IMAG0857.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 317
BMW Emblem & Tire Selection

Josh has sent me the original VIN plate from the front column for safe keeping. With the Porsche I encased the VIN plate with the original hood emblem and keep it in the glove box of the car, I want to make the same kind of protective case for the BMW VIN. The problem is that we do not have an original BMW emblem off either of the two bikes, they just were not included when we bought the bikes. But there was one BMW logo, it is an aftermarket emblem and we do have that, here is a picture of it, it will have to suffice, at least it was with the bike for some years, would nice to have an original but what can you do. I will share a picture of the final case once I get it back from the trophy shop.

Josh is picking tires out this week I believe. He has been doing much research and everyone is recommending going with the stock size tires, we were going to go beefier but I think we may just stick with stock width. Any thoughts about tires, please post them, would love feedback and input from guys in the know.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 08-28-12_1 BMW Badge, Not Original But On the Bike When Purchased.jpg
    08-28-12_1 BMW Badge, Not Original But On the Bike When Purchased.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 278
You could post a wanted advertisement on the forum for old original badges, or on the IBMWR , and Adventure Rider forums.
Lot's of fairly obscure stuff shows up in all three locations.

Fat Tires

I'm no expert on /5's, but have read a LOT of tire threads here, and I can tell you that "fat" isn't always a good idea for these bikes. They may actually handle a lot better with the "mountain-bike" tires that came standard. . .except now the compounds and tire construction are much, much better versus when the /5's were new.

We've now become accustomed to seeing "fat" on the newer bikes to the point where "skinny" just looks plain weird.

Think of the poor squidly astride a new 600cc rocket -- just passed in the twisties by your cafe, going like a striped-assed ape and riding on those itty-bitty tires. Hey, that alone is worth staying with stock sizes!

Walking Eagle

Thanks

You could post a wanted advertisement on the forum for old original badges, or on the IBMWR , and Adventure Rider forums.
Lot's of fairly obscure stuff shows up in all three locations.

Yeah I thought of that, but if it was not original to the bike, the point of preserving does not have as much meaning. This old reproduction cheap emblem was with the bike we are restoring so it deserves the spotlight, I cherish very much my Porsche original VIN and Emblem off the hood and it will be the same for the bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Well Said

I'm no expert on /5's, but have read a LOT of tire threads here, and I can tell you that "fat" isn't always a good idea for these bikes. They may actually handle a lot better with the "mountain-bike" tires that came standard. . .except now the compounds and tire construction are much, much better versus when the /5's were new.

We've now become accustomed to seeing "fat" on the newer bikes to the point where "skinny" just looks plain weird.

Think of the poor squidly astride a new 600cc rocket -- just passed in the twisties by your cafe, going like a striped-assed ape and riding on those itty-bitty tires. Hey, that alone is worth staying with stock sizes!

Walking Eagle

Well said and good point.

Thanks,
Shane

I have tried fatter tires on both ends of other bikes in the past.

On my race bikes it would slow or speed up the turn in / lean angle a small amount, but on the track any small improvement can be a good thing. The opposite can also occur :banghead

IMHO most riders do not even closely approach the traction limits of the OEM recommended sizes of their tires .

Is there an improvement in a bigger size ?

I think it's mostly in the mind of the rider.:nyah
A fashion statement for sure:bikes

Yeah

I have tried fatter tires on both ends of other bikes in the past.

On my race bikes it would slow or speed up the turn in / lean angle a small amount, but on the track any small improvement can be a good thing. The opposite can also occur :banghead

IMHO most riders do not even closely approach the traction limits of the OEM recommended sizes of their tires .

Is there an improvement in a bigger size ?

I think it's mostly in the mind of the rider.:nyah
A fashion statement for sure:bikes

Yeah, it is all about size right!:wave I went with wider tires on the Porsche and I really like the look, I have a spare tire upfront in the Porsche on a minilite wheel just like on my car and there is only so much space upfront on the Porsche for a spare so we had to go to a smaller tire up there for a spare, a couple weekends back I put the smaller tire on the back of the car just to see what it looked like and it was goofy to me to say the least but that is all that I was use to seeing. I am going to leave this up to Josh and his decisiion, this is a vintage bike, big beefy tires were not on them back in the day and they do not need to be today if it does not make it handle or perform better.

Remember guys, this is not a track bike, a bike to take trips on the weekends, so I am not going to be pushing it as if on the track.

Thanks,
Shane

Back