• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

I would have to admit

The "trim" on motorcycle seat is very nice, good luck finding some similar "trim" here. The edge guard on the back of the seat might be obtained at an automobile upholstery shop that deals in antiques and vintage cars.

mmmm... . you'll probably not want to hear this.

By placing a weld onto the frame bracket at the short end of the reinforcement mending plate, you've inadvertently set up potential stress across the bottom web of the original frame bracket. A crack is likely to emanate along the red line, starting at the outer edge of the web.

The preferred placement of the weld would have been along the long side of the mending plate (green line), with no weld across the end.

:hide :bolt

Attachments

• braket error.jpg
    braket error.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 347
Or the brace could have been stepped down into thinner sections to help the transition of load from the very stiff brace to the more flexible frame member.

They proved to me that they did not charge for items not sent, so I am going to have to find 3 more pushrod tubes and the shocks somewhere else.

Thanks,
Shane

Yeah they didn't charge me for the whole thing, all is good. I did get a call from them today saying they were bought out by a new owner and that if I wanted the backordered items could be kept on my account and ship when they come in. I realize you're in the midst of a project so time is more imperative, everything I ordered was stuff just to have for future jobs

Looking at your attached photograph is post # 296, it appears as if the muffler hanger is not parallel to the frame tubes. Is that an optical illusion? If it isn't straight, that will affect the alignment of the exhaust system and that of your foot peg. Hopefully, you addressed those issues before you welded in the gussets, because once those are in place, it's impossible to properly readjust the hangers.

Those gussets are somewhat similar to the parts that I include in my frame kits but the section that runs down the lower lip of the hanger is superfluous and could be eliminated. The main thing is for the the frame down tube, the cross tube and the bracket, to be tied together using steel plate and a continuous weld.

The rear sets are available form: http://www.motocicliveloci.it/
Or
Omars here in the states: http://www.rearsets.info/bmw_rearsets.html

The only real issue with them is that you end up loosing about 80% of the effectiveness of the rear brake. If you're a rear brake user, as I am, you'll need to make some changes in your riding style but if you come up with a work-around, I hope you'll share it. :laugh

Thanks

Looking at your attached photograph is post # 296, it appears as if the muffler hanger is not parallel to the frame tubes. Is that an optical illusion? If it isn't straight, that will affect the alignment of the exhaust system and that of your foot peg. Hopefully, you addressed those issues before you welded in the gussets, because once those are in place, it's impossible to properly readjust the hangers.

Those gussets are somewhat similar to the parts that I include in my frame kits but the section that runs down the lower lip of the hanger is superfluous and could be eliminated. The main thing is for the the frame down tube, the cross tube and the bracket, to be tied together using steel plate and a continuous weld.

The rear sets are available form: http://www.motocicliveloci.it/
Or
Omars here in the states: http://www.rearsets.info/bmw_rearsets.html

The only real issue with them is that you end up loosing about 80% of the effectiveness of the rear brake. If you're a rear brake user, as I am, you'll need to make some changes in your riding style but if you come up with a work-around, I hope you'll share it. :laugh

Thanks for the input, Josh has already mocked the exhaust onto the bike and it is some sort of optical illusion with the photograph I think, very excited to see what the R12 exhaust looks like when all said and done. Thanks everyone for all of yoru input, your comments, your concerns and feedback, much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• 12-19-11_1 Restored Speedo.jpg
    12-19-11_1 Restored Speedo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 227
Look Great!!

:clap:clap
Guage Looks great!! Very Nice and will look good on bike I Like the speedo/ Tach in one unit and the White Face looks Great!!

OK ? what is "UPM" on the tach???

OK ? what is "UPM" on the tach???

Don't know if this anywhere close...probably need to hear from the Germans or people fluent in the language...but google translates "revolutions per minute" to "Umdrehungen pro Minute". :dunno

Love it

Thanks for the German Translation, that is what I love about these bikes and the Porsche Cars, authentic. My Porsche has an Oel Cap as well. Just another reason why older cars and bikes are so appealing and unique versus modern cars. I would not take a modern BMW motorcycle over a vintage one anyday, there is something about the history and something special about something old being brought back to life for the road.

Sorry to get philosophical again.

Shane

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 210
Then there was the gal who told her car dealer that she was missing part number 710. They looked it up, found nothing, insisted there was no part number 710. She took them out and opened the hood and pointed to the OIL fill spout and said "see, the cap that goes on there is missing. I remember it had a number on it - 710"

Then there was the gal who told her car dealer that she was missing part number 710. They looked it up, found nothing, insisted there was no part number 710. She took them out and opened the hood and pointed to the OIL fill spout and said "see, the cap that goes on there is missing. I remember it had a number on it - 710"

Ah, that would be the the ID 10 T error on computers.

Funny

That is funny, thanks for sharing, have to remember that one.

Thanks,
Shane

Back