• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Information

Information about photograph of Ms. Weber:

Fred Jakobs, of the BMW Archives tells us the following about our club logo:

ÔÇ£Concerning the picture I have these informations:

The woman is Marianne Weber, a Journalist from Belgium. She tested the R68 for the French magazine "MOTORCYCLE" (issue 81/August 18th, 1952) and achieved a top speed of more than 160 km/h and gave the proof, that the R 68 was a real 100-mph-racing-bike.

The photo was made by "R.G.Everts" in April 1952. Marianne Weber (later) achieved 162,895 km/h (101,24 mph) in a "kilometer lanc?® nearby the City of Waterloo in Belgium, 1954.

Last Updated ( Saturday, 19 May 2007 )

Lower Triple Tree

Josh has taken the forks apart. He is also going to send our frame in to make sure it is square and true. He has a guy who has a jig and checks it over for any issues. Hope everyone has a great day.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 10-31-11_1 Lower Triple Tree.jpg
    10-31-11_1 Lower Triple Tree.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 237
Thread Jack: ON

Hey Shane,

Here's some inspiration for you. A short clip of the silver /5 after replacing the clutch on Saturday. Figured I'd make sure everything was ok, and set my freeplay before putting the mufflers back on. So here it is, the hot rod version with open headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgtNAmsA8A&noredirect=1

James

James!

I can not, for the life of me, get my /5 to idle as comfortably as yours does in the video. What kind of arm twisting would it take to get you to do a step-by-step video of that procedure?

And please guys ... . don't post any links to Bum's, Duanes', or any other sites. I've read through them, and I'm sure others have as well.

Some of us learn by seeing and looking (visual), some by hearing and listening (auditory) and some by touching and doing (kinesthetic) ... in my case it would be auditory; the hardest part to understand in any of the "explanations" offered online being what the engine actually sounds like before/after adjustment.

For me, eye-balling is easy, ear-balling, not so much.

Thread Jack: OFF

Paint

Josh and I are discussing who to have paint the bike. My first thought is to have Bill and his team at Hamilton Classics who did my Porsche do the bike. We can send the tank and the fenders over to them, they already have all the paint codes and they can get it done for us, I have a call into him asking him if he wants this rather small job.

Other than that, just keep moving forward.

Thanks,
Shane

Bare Bones

Josh has the bike pretty much completely stripped down. I have contacted Bill and he has agreed toe help us with the painting of the bike. We will send the tank, fenders and headlight off to him at some point so he can have the Porsche k45-286 Silver and Porsche Grand Prix white stripe applied.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 11-14-11_2.jpg
    11-14-11_2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 361
Shane.... I'm sure you've checked thoroughly, but a re-chick might be in order while the frame is stripped.

Some of these old bikes (mine is one) have sustained damage (cracked) to the gusset(s) that are a part of the muffler/passenger peg mount(s); where it is welded to the small-diameter cross tube behind/under the battery.

Here's a shot... not clear, but it shows the area I'm referring to.

Not the sub-frame down-tube, the gusset behind it in this shot.

Attachments

• Frame Gusset.jpg
    Frame Gusset.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 611
Thanks

Shane.... I'm sure you've checked thoroughly, but a re-chick might be in order while the frame is stripped.

Some of these old bikes (mine is one) have sustained damage (cracked) to the gusset(s) that are a part of the muffler/passenger peg mount(s); where it is welded to the small-diameter cross tube behind/under the battery.

Here's a shot... not clear, but it shows the area I'm referring to.

Not the sub-frame down-tube, the gusset behind it in this shot.

Dear Lew, thanks for your help, Josh is going over it with a fine tooth comb, in fact sending the frame into a guy who puts it on a jig to make sure it is straight. That is the advantage of taking the bike down this far, you hopefully find any problem and can address it as they appear. I appreciate you taking the time.

Sincerely,
Shane

Speedo before Palo Alto

Here is a picture of my speedo before we send it off for restoration to:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

Broken needle and a dent in the bezel, but once we get it back it will be like brand new, we are going to do a WHITE face as well, sporty look to match the paint.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 11-16-11_1 Speedo.jpg
    11-16-11_1 Speedo.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 314
Tail Light w/ Mounting

We decided on the license plate mount and light for the bike, we think? We bought this from www.retrocycle.com, Josh is going to try and incorporate that old vintage light we found into this mount and license plate frame, we will see.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Taillight and Mount.jpg
    Taillight and Mount.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 275
Good plan to reinforce the muffler/rear set mounts. Lots of rotational stress on a not so robust structure. It would be ideal if you could box them in, but there may not be clearance for it (brake arm/switch)

Mine cracked on the yellow line (both sides). The "notch" for the battery vent tube was the instigator. I rank that design decision right up there with using "bend-over" tabs to mount the /5 main switch and key shroud assemblies.
rant.gif

Attachments

• rear set mods.jpg
    rear set mods.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 446
Reinforcement

Josh is going to do some reinforcing of the frame now that we know it is straight and true. Here is a picture of some of the stuff he will be dealing with.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 11-22-11_2.jpg
    11-22-11_2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 612
Back