• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Tires & Paint

After much research, we have determined that we are going to stay with a tire that is very similar in size to the original ones that would have been on the bike, not by brand, but by size. I received the below message from Josh today, so this is what we are going with:

"I am throwing the Battleax BT 45 Bridgestones on your bike. The sizes are close to the stock size tire. Slightly wider by about 5mm in the rear.
the front should be close to identical."

Hope everyone has a great evening, we also have some good news, Josh shipped out all the tins to Bill Hamilton at Hamilton Classics so that he can do the paint! Yeah Ha!

Thanks,
Shane

Front Fender. . .

Shane, you and Josh nailed it on the front fender. I just took a look at Josh's website, and see where he is "leaving it this way for now. . .(fender)" and IMHO, it looks perfect for the lines of the bike.

Needless to say, the battery "box" fabrication is more jewelry from the jewelry-maker.

You guys ROCK, and I can't wait to see the painted tin.

Keep on keepin' on.

Walking Eagle

Thanks

Shane, you and Josh nailed it on the front fender. I just took a look at Josh's website, and see where he is "leaving it this way for now. . .(fender)" and IMHO, it looks perfect for the lines of the bike.

Needless to say, the battery "box" fabrication is more jewelry from the jewelry-maker.

You guys ROCK, and I can't wait to see the painted tin.

Keep on keepin' on.

Walking Eagle

Thanks for all the kind words, I have forwarded them to Josh, the boxes with the tins are in route to Bill at Hamilton Classics in Martindale Texas, the historic Porsche K45-286 paint will be applied with our white Porsche Race Stripe! Can't wait!

Thanks,
Shane

at least say that you saw these tin types on the vintagent/oily rag. If you go on the vintagent facebook page you can even see a picture of our very own Daryl

Paul

at least say that you saw these tin types on the vintagent/oily rag. If you go on the vintagent facebook page you can even see a picture of our very own Daryl

How are you? I talk with Paul all of the time via eMail and via Facebook, he is a great guy. I posted this photograph that you see on Facebook, the actual photographer I identified as Ed Ross just a few minutes ago, it is his amazing photograph. I am the one that posted the photograph for Paul on his Vintagent Page, but the real credit needs to go to Ed Ross who took the photograph in the first place.

Thanks,
Shane

If you want to see more of his work you can find ad at:

http://edrossphotography.com/

I mean Paul posted a picture of Darryl Richman (a member here) with his 1928 R52 that he took. Paul is doing his own tin types while riding his own Velocette in the rally. I'm not talking specifically about the one that you've posted as I'm familiar with that picture already

http://www.oily-rag.net/?p=315

408181_10151090973003791_779263839_n.jpg

Cool

I mean Paul posted a picture of Darryl Richman (a member here) with his 1928 R52 that he took. Paul is doing his own tin types while riding his own Velocette in the rally. I'm not talking specifically about the one that you've posted as I'm familiar with that picture already

As you are familiar with this unknown photograph to me, I am familiar with Paul and all of his antics. His written word, lifestyle and wet plate photographs are second to none. The motorcycle world is a better place because of Paul and his cause. I had seen wet plate photographs before but until I saw Paul's the appeal never grabbed me, he is an inspiration. I am glad that I was able to give Ed Ross the credit he deserves for the photograph. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks,
Shane

Vin Plate Protector

I received my protective case for my VIN plate and emblem, turned out pretty good. Remember this IS NOT an original BMW emblem from my bike, it is some aftermarket emblem that came with one of the bikes, but it is all that we had so I went with it, would have loved to have the original from the factory, but when you buy basket cases like we did, you get what you get if you know what I mean. To have the origina VIN plate is cool though.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Emblem and VIN Plate.jpg
    Emblem and VIN Plate.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 165
Darryl

Darryl's bike is a show stopper, absolutely amazing in every way! Thanks for sharing the photograph.

Shane

.... and the image is reversed, why?

Tin types always are as they are direct images and not prints from negatives. Remember the famous picture of Billy the Kid that had everyone thinking he was a lefty? Same situation, he was actually right handed.

Funny

Wouldn't that get their attention at your local DMV office. :ha

Yeah, I know what you are getting at, Josh already registered the bike and as long as the replacement VIN has the same data, I cannot imagine an issue, many cars and bikes that are basket cases don't even have such plates, it could be a sticky situatioin, but with me having possessions of the originals for the car and the bike, I don't think there would be much trouble.

How are you doing? Nice to hear from you, have a great weekend Rinty!

Thanks,
Shane

Back