• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Ok

Down here in South Texas, we call that "building a taco"... ;) :thumb

Ok, you guys have all sorts of names for this process, please explain to me what you are referring to? Remember I am new to this entire process and would like to get in on your secret build language? :)

Thanks,
Shane

Ok, you guys have all sorts of names for this process, please explain to me what you are referring to? Remember I am new to this entire process and would like to get in on your secret build language?

Shane -

This post:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=810082&postcount=779

essentially shows it. One of the shoes (the right one in the pic) is pulled up nearly perpendicular to the brake housing. If the other shoe were done the same, that would be the "taco". It is easy to assemble the shoes and springs in this "taco" fashion, position the metal ends of the shoe near the posts on the braking plate, and then unfold the taco so it is flat...like a tortilla to keep the metaphor going. The shoes will snap into position (mind the fingers!) and you can adjust the shoes as needed.

gotta say, "penforhire" did a great documentation job on his /5, but when I got to the section on the rear brake shoes I was.. . .. . amused, and reminiscent of the day I discovered the "taco connection"
09.gif

Here's a couple of shots from the page.. .. .

Such a simple solution for such a vexing problem.

2098-turnbuckle-not-working.jpg

like he's even going to get that spring hook into that hole... ..

2102-vice-grip-2nd-spring.jpg

A LOT of great /5 photo documentation in this blog by the way. A LOT.

Thanks

Thanks for explaining to the ignorant the Taco concept of Brake Shoes. You guys are the best, have a great weekend, Josh is going to spend some time in the garage this weekend and maybe next week I will have more pictures to share!

Thanks,
Shane

Be careful!

If you use too much sauce on the taco, it will contaminate the linings, and this isn't a good thing.

Safety first.

Walking Eagle

Progress

As promised, Josh spent some time with the bike this weekend and we have some new pictures to share, he has trimmed the front fender down by about 3", and we are determining how wide to have the race stripe. I have always known that we want a beefy stripe and since the tank and tail stripe will be wide, it is probably too wide to incorporate into the front fender, so I have decided to go with an all white front fender to do something different. Here are some photographs to share, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• _1030502lr.jpg
    _1030502lr.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 122
fender

Just food for thought. What if you shaved the fender's sides a bit. Or tapered it so it is narrow in the front and wide in the rear? That would take a few grams off the weight, don't know how it would look.

White Fender. . .

Really sets off the white hubs, and that's a GOOD THING -- very, very nice.

Also, the wide stripe gets my unreserved support.

No kidding, this thing already has me drooling, and there ain't even no engine jewelry in place!

Keep on keepin' on. . .it won't be long now. My experience with much more modest project bikes is that the process seems to take forever . . . and then it comes together very quickly -- suddenly, there it is, ready to roll. What a thrill.

Walking Eagle

Thanks

Just food for thought. What if you shaved the fender's sides a bit. Or tapered it so it is narrow in the front and wide in the rear? That would take a few grams off the weight, don't know how it would look.

How are you? Josh and I kicked the idea around as to changing the shape of the front fender and we decided to go with stock, just cut back a bit, you know a front fender is something that can always be changed later, but good idea.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks

Really sets off the white hubs, and that's a GOOD THING -- very, very nice.

Also, the wide stripe gets my unreserved support.

No kidding, this thing already has me drooling, and there ain't even no engine jewelry in place!

Keep on keepin' on. . .it won't be long now. My experience with much more modest project bikes is that the process seems to take forever . . . and then it comes together very quickly -- suddenly, there it is, ready to roll. What a thrill.

Walking Eagle

Thanks for the thumbs up, we will keep doing what we are doing! :thumb

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks

Shane: I'd go real skinny on the stripes; JMO. :)

Think, how would Butzi do this? :)

Butzi would do it like his Father, and his Grandfather before him, with perfection! Many times while Butzi and I were sitting having coffee together, he would say to me "if I ever did a BMW bike I would have a nice wide race stripe", I remember these conversations vividly. :brad Here is a picture I snapped with my cell phone, um, I mean my Polaroid camera during one of our conversations.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• FerdinandButziPorsche.jpg
    FerdinandButziPorsche.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Back