• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

DMVs are gittin real picky about vin numbers on plates, on vehicles, stamped variously places. My bike sat in a "vehicle 'inspection' center", for about 15-20 minutes, for what I'll never know because I was told to "leave" the "inspection" area until the "inspection" was completed?

Never started the bike, probably couldn't, all I could figger is that they were trying to git a look at that riveted plate behind the fairing, R90S. And after being told the bike "passed", still took over three months to clear the title up all the while fearing that it would be seized if a number turned up stolen in some data base. Two more written communications were needed with follow up on a particular receipt that had been shown three months earlier? Go figure?

Save every friggen receipt ever acquired in a folder for every bike owned. Saved my bike in the end. May be redundant, just sayin.

Yeah

DMVs are gittin real picky about vin numbers on plates, on vehicles, stamped variously places. My bike sat in a "vehicle 'inspection' center", for about 15-20 minutes, for what I'll never know because I was told to "leave" the "inspection" area until the "inspection" was completed?

Never started the bike, probably couldn't, all I could figger is that they were trying to git a look at that riveted plate behind the fairing, R90S. And after being told the bike "passed", still took over three months to clear the title up all the while fearing that it would be seized if a number turned up stolen in some data base. Two more written communications were needed with follow up on a particular receipt that had been shown three months earlier? Go figure?

Save every friggen receipt ever acquired in a folder for every bike owned. Saved my bike in the end. May be redundant, just sayin.

I had a situation with the Porsche at the DMV, not because of VIN but the original BILL OF SALE was from 2 years previously and the guy I bought the car from disappeared, I had it notorized, but the Bill of Sale had the Engine Numbers on it, but not the VIN, I was there for over an hour and talked to a manager, finally I told them, go to my Build Site and you can see that this is my car, the VIN number was on the Build Site and she said "this is good enough for me", close call.

Thanks,
Shane

...go to my build site...

Good thinking. The incorrect VIN would have been easy to miss.

Certainly, there are some complex titling and registration situations that I've read about, here and on other forums.

When I brought my car into Canada from Utah, the young Canada Border Services guy said: "Hey this title transfer isn't notarized." I (very politely :D) explained that Utah transfers (they actually call them assignments, for some reason :scratch) don't require notarization, as explained in the fine print on the back of the title. He was OK with that.

Yucky Carbs

We have a couple of sets of carbs that Josh is going to rebuild, here is a picture of the best of the two, which is not saying much, he is going to have them vaporblasted and try to get them looking good and then he will completely rebuild them.

Thanks,
Shane

PS: Bill has confirmed the tins have been received and the bodywork and the paint will be applied!

Attachments

• 09-19-12_1 Bing Carbs.jpg
    09-19-12_1 Bing Carbs.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 209
Stand Up

Crazy and stupid, this is how Indian Larry died, and he had been doing it for decades, but cool picture none the less.

Attachments

• StandUpBMW.jpg
    StandUpBMW.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Carbs

Josh's wife was gone for the evening, so what did he do, what any good restorer would, he took advantage and brought the build onto the kitchen table, she would kill him! :nono

We had a couple sets of carbs and this is the best of the two, stock BING carbs, I am going to buy the rebuild kit for them. Josh used the Sharpertek Ultrasonic Cleaner I gave to him some months ago, it does a great job, he said the water in the tank was like mud when he was done, a little Simple Green and water is all that you need. You see my company has been selling ultrasonics for over a decade now, how and the hell do you think I pay for this fiasco in the first place? Definately not with my good looks.

So here is to all those guys that go behind their wives backs and restore a vehicle or bike in the house!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• carbs_1030968.jpg
    carbs_1030968.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 128
Always Use Basket

Always use a basket with any ultrasonic, if you just throw parts on the inside it will degrade your transducers over time, that is why you never and I mean never buy a used ultrasonic tank, trust me on this one.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• carbs_1030995.jpg
    carbs_1030995.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 296
So Sad. . .

By "cheating" using ultrasound, Josh has deprived himself of the joys of using Simple Green and several Costco-large boxes of Q-tips to "properly" clean these things!

SHAME!

I do, however, applaud him for sneaking into the house and using the kitchen table as a work-surface. . .that said, this seemingly innocent step can act as a Gateway Drug to parking the machine in the living room, which sets foot on the tragic path leading straight back to the single life.

If this ultrasonic "cheating" turns you off. . . be advised that you can BOIL carb bodies in water to clean them. I bought a large pan at Goodwill for the purpose, and use my (outdoor) electric grill. About 20-30 mins usually does it. [For you Southerners, use that deep-fat turkey-fryer! (kidding)]

See the above caution for how to remain in a stable relationship. . .and don't use the stovetop for the heat source. Unless SWMBO has anosmia, she is not going to enjoy eau de dirty carburetor, and you'll be out on your ass.

Walking Eagle

By "cheating" using ultrasound, Josh has deprived himself of the joys of using Simple Green and several Costco-large boxes of Q-tips to "properly" clean these things!

SHAME!

I do, however, applaud him for sneaking into the house and using the kitchen table as a work-surface. . .that said, this seemingly innocent step can act as a Gateway Drug to parking the machine in the living room, which sets foot on the tragic path leading straight back to the single life.

If this ultrasonic "cheating" turns you off. . . be advised that you can BOIL carb bodies in water to clean them. I bought a large pan at Goodwill for the purpose, and use my (outdoor) electric grill. About 20-30 mins usually does it. [For you Southerners, use that deep-fat turkey-fryer! (kidding)]

See the above caution for how to remain in a stable relationship. . .and don't use the stovetop for the heat source. Unless SWMBO has anosmia, she is not going to enjoy eau de dirty carburetor, and you'll be out on your ass.

Walking Eagle
Back in the 90's when I was single, fresh out of the Army I used to park my airhead in the entrance hallway of my brothers condo. No hassle no worries, we lived a block from the beach in Cocoa Bch. I hated the salt air and the drunks coming out of Jonathons pub so I protected my prized airhead any way I could, every time one of the girlfriends complained they were promptly put in their place:kiss. Aaaa the single life....

Back