• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Bing

I just LOVE the look of Bings, except for ONE thing: The little 24mm dia. top-area that simply cries out for an enamel BMW logo badge, or maybe a little yin-yang badge, or something to make them look really great. Once you start looking at what is out there and available (or have a custom badge done by a jeweler), you'll find the right one, or it will find you!

Somehow, that top-part manages to look crappy without either adding something (such as a badge), or polishing hell out of it - I've got some blue/white rondels on order right now.

Walking Eagle

You are right, the BING logos were shot before the process and we called BING and they use to be able to replace them with new ones but they no longer offer that service because it was too time consuming and sometimes did not turn out well, so it is what it is, we are still pondering on this, Josh was thinking pollish the hell out of that area. Thanks for continuing to follow, I always look forward to your responses and input.

Sincerely,
Shane

That is going to be Beautiful!
I can't wait to see it parked next to the Porsche!
What would be a really good picture would be seeing the Porsche chasing the BMW through a corner!

Ken

Ken

That is going to be Beautiful!
I can't wait to see it parked next to the Porsche!
What would be a really good picture would be seeing the Porsche chasing the BMW through a corner!

Ken

Don't think that has not gone through my mind, thanks for following. I am also very lucky that Josh is a professional photography by day, and I mean professional, he has promised some exceptional photographs of the bike when it is done so I also have that to look forward to. I started doing Wet Plate Photography a few weeks back, it is 160 year old technique, one of the first forms of photography, less than 1000 people practice this art form in the world, I saw a wet plate and fell in love and had to figure out how to do it. Got myself a bunch of books, got a 1870's lens from Greece, had a camera box built around it and have been doing it for a couple of weeks. My main goal is to capture people that are important to me in my life, but also to get some good wet plate photos of the car and the bike, this process is so magical I cannot really describe it, I have created a simple website to share what I have done already. Wet plate is essentially capturing images in silver on glass using light and your dark room has to be right next to you because your plate cannot dry from sensitization, to exposure to development. http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/wetplate.htm if you are interested in seeing what I have done already. Understand most wet plate guys are expert photographers and want to take their game to a new level, not like me, my wet plate camera was my first camera I have ever owned. It is so rewarding.

Thanks,
Shane

Otherworldly

Fantastic images!

Saaaaay -- could you photoshop an image of Honest Abe riding the Cafe and chasing Robert E. Lee, driving the Porsche????? That would be swell.

Walking Eagle

Happy Halloween

I am very happy to report that Josh has been able to install the motor in the frame! :D Here he is with the bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Josh with Bike 10-30-12.jpeg
    Josh with Bike 10-30-12.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 414
Five Speed

Both my bikes came as four speeds so one of the things we wanted to do is upgrade the transmission to a five speed. We found one in good condition, have gone through it and it is now installed.

Waiting for paint to come back and then we will really get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 11-05-12 Five Speed Installed.jpg
    11-05-12 Five Speed Installed.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 341
Dented Headlight Bucket

The first coats of primer are going on the tins and we have known about this one area of concern, there is a significant dent at the bottom of the headlight bucket, we are going to have to remove the rivets and repair this area and then fasten new rivets.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 11-07-12_1 Dented Headlight Housing.jpg
    11-07-12_1 Dented Headlight Housing.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 293
Disaster Averted

Josh went on a little holiday for a couple of days and when he returned, a water main had broken in the garage above our bike. Water damage everywhere, but for some reason, the bike was not touched and remained bone dry through it all, Josh thinks the bike has a guardian angel.

Thanks,
Shane

Transmission Install

Josh did a nice tech write-up about putting the tranny on the bike,

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/11/t...paign=Feed:+BeemersAndBits+(Beemers+and+Bits)

It turns out the water damage in the garage was rather significant, again luckily the bike and the parts remained bone dry but Josh has had to take everything out fo the garage and the insurance company is replacing the entire inside garage, so a few week setback, we are still waiting for the tins from paint so this is as good of time as any, but sucks for Josh, real mess.

Thanks,
Shane

100,000 and Counting

Thanks guys for all of the visits, we just went over 100,000 hits.

No real updates, we are in a holding pattern awaiting the paint to be done and for Josh's garage to be fully redone after the water break. It was a total mess for him and then they found asbestos on top of it so had to have it professionally removed and quarantined off. The good news is the bike and the parts all stayed bone dry. As soon as I have anything, I will report immediately.

Thanks,
Shane

Back