• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best time of year to tour the Canadian Maritime Provinces?

beemer01

'Thinking about this option for this summer's trip.

What are the best weeks from a weather standpoint and while we're at it can anyone suggest roads/routes that are 'must rides'?:brow

Two middle aged American guys on K-bikes, so prefer paved roads this trip.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I would recommend August or September...ie post bug season. But I have jsut been a tourist there several times...

Google temp and precip by location during the summer months...that would help too

Some one local could probably give better advice.

Fall Riding

My wife and I spent 10 days touring Nova Scotia and PEI the week after Labor Day. The weather was perfect for riding. All of the vacation traffic was cleared out. When we went to the north shore of PEI to see the Anne of Green Gables area, many business were already closed. Be aware, Nova Scotia is larger than you think! I underestimated the travel time a few days and since we had a series of reservations at B & B's we did some long days. Great trip. If you get to PEI be sure to visit the culinary institute in Charlottsville for dinner.

New Brunswick

I have done that trip in August 1975. The days are short and cold weather comes early. Never drive at night. Get to camp or lodging early. Lots of slow moving big brown antlered critters! Bears, too.
French Canadian truckers are very aggressive and DGAS about anything.
It is a wonderful trip. If going through Maine the coast roads are busy and there are lots of people turning into and out of driveways.
The road in Canada south of the St. Lawrence is beautiful as it follows the waterway south.
Have fun!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11S1000RR
:thumb

Before Labor Day can be rough with tourist traffic.
That wasn't our experience last year (went the week before the RA rally..) Apparently tourism is WAY down in Nova Scotia (and likely Newfoundland) since the ferry stopped running between Maine and NS.. And the reason the ferry stopped running was tourism was way down.

The people in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia were very happy to see us, and in talking with a few, we heard tourist revenues were off by over 50% from 4 years ago.. We had no traffic on the roads, and no problem finding accommodations (we normally started looking around 3PM or so..)

I have been there early August (last year) and early September (a number of years ago) - both times weather was fine, September a bit brisk in the evening, but very pleasant days.

That wasn't our experience last year (went the week before the RA rally..) Apparently tourism is WAY down in Nova Scotia (and likely Newfoundland) since the ferry stopped running between Maine and NS.. And the reason the ferry stopped running was tourism was way down.

As always, there are variables depending on your roads and destinations. A friend from Maine swore he'd never ride the Gaspe in August again based on his August 2010 trip back from the Saquenay. (He rides in the Atlantic provinces almost every weekend.)

When you go east, do ride the Gasp?® Bay Peninsula. It is well worth the extra few miles. You might even wish to ride the islands of St. Pierre or St. Madeleine to get bragging rights to riding in France.

my Maritimes rides

I rode to Cape Breton from Wisconsin through New York and New England last summer, a week after the Salty Fog Rally.

On this forum are my ride report and comments from Foggers.

I have ridden the Gasp?®sie in June 2008. Attached pic was taken east of St. Anne on Highway 132 - a great road I had to myself all day, heading east to Gasp?®.

I wish you good riding on both trips, and advise you to make sure your rain gear is all set. I got rained on in Gasp?®sie in June '08. I spent a day waiting out Hurricane Earl last September, then faced rain and high winds all the way home. Sound like fun?

Attachments

• 2008 BMW Gaspésie - 1.jpg
    2008 BMW Gaspésie - 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
If you are planning late August - September bring good rain gear and a positive attitude.

In Cape-Breton, especially in the Cheticamp-Margaree area, there is a weather phenomenon locally known as a "suete". These events, and they occur throughout the year, bring high winds (70-80 mph) and rain. My wife has been known to go outside and dance in them.

Just for information and please note that you can find reports for any time of the year:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/12/01/cheticamp-wind-bus.html

That said to both my wife and I it is still the most pleasant part of the world where we go to find peace.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC00699.jpg
    DSC00699.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 108
Been there in July 07, August 09 and September 09 and the weather was fine each time with no rain. Must have been the luck of the draw.

Been there in July 07, August 09 and September 09 and the weather was fine each time with no rain. Must have been the luck of the draw.

We've found that July can be sunny and hot as well as in August. Please note that it is only certain areas that experience this type of rain.

Like I said in my previous post - Be prepared as your experience may vary.

BTW the pic was taken in August 08 (at the end of August 08 the area experienced heavy rains that caused damage in the millions). Will find the news clippings if interested.

When you go east, do ride the Gasp?® Bay Peninsula. It is well worth the extra few miles. You might even wish to ride the islands of St. Pierre or St. Madeleine to get bragging rights to riding in France.

Good advice...except the French islands are St-Pierre et Miquelon. Les Iles de la Madelaine are still part Canada (Qu?®bec). Last time I was in Newfoundland, you could not take your vehicule to the french iles (or it was complicated). Take a small boat over and walk around, buy french wine and perfume.
So many great places in the Atlantic provinces that it would be hard to make a list of 'must dos'.
Early fall is the best time, but anytime (other than winter) is fine.

The best travel time is just after Labour Day .... if you want some (usually) fine weather and few RVs and traffic. However, many local events like suppers, special events, etc are earlier (a numbers thing I suppose). Still lots to do and uncluttered vistas after Labour Day. We prefer to provide our Salty Fog Riders Rally (see link on line below) in early September because the focus is on the ride and the chance that the weather will be in our favor. Fewer blackflies too. No matter when you come though you are likely to have a wonderful experience. Camping is usually open until October 15th approx. - Bob

Bring your electrics and be prepared for wet, then rejoice when the weather smiles on you.
Wet or not, you'll never have better hospitality or scenery than in the Maritimes.
And don't forget to try the Screech rum. :hungover ... But not too much of it.

Bring your electrics and be prepared for wet, then rejoice when the weather smiles on you.
Wet or not, you'll never have better hospitality or scenery than in the Maritimes.
And don't forget to try the Screech rum. :hungover ... But not too much of it.

Not that cold up here and September tends to be dryer than July/August. Hospitality is +++++ and Screech is resident to Nfld..... although we like it here as well. Captain Morgan tends to be a NS choice. Too much? really? :brow - Bob

Back