• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/2 advice for exterior of engine

norton1

I'm restoring a 1967 /2 and am wondering if anyone has advice on a coating for engine case to keep it clean after I have it blasted with dry ice? was told that high heat clear coat will turn yellow after a while.Any suggestions would be appreciated.:banghead

It will turn yellow. A local rider did this and it isn't very pretty. It didn't take all that long, either.

The usual advice is to rub the cases down with WD-40 every now and again.

It will turn yellow. A local rider did this and it isn't very pretty. It didn't take all that long, either.

The usual advice is to rub the cases down with WD-40 every now and again.

Thanx for the reply may try this.seems you can use wd-40 for everything!!:brow

There is a better product for this than WD-40. It is called Gibbs brand penetrant. Works way better & also does not affect surfaces you want to paint as much as WD-40. It has been used in the Hot Rod industry for a while now. A friend told me he has even painted over it, though I have not tried it. I used it on my magnesium American Racing spokes wheels with great results, it did not need the constant attention to re-use that WD-40 did.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

Order some, you will not be diappointed.

John.

I never done anything

I have ridden my R 60US for about ten years and it is still very clean since the restoration. The trick is to never let dirt or oil sit on the crank case for any length of time, I use de-chlorinated brake cleaner and sometimes I will rub just a little WD 40 onto it just do it with clean hands or you will make it dirty.

There is a better product for this than WD-40. It is called Gibbs brand penetrant. Works way better & also does not affect surfaces you want to paint as much as WD-40. It has been used in the Hot Rod industry for a while now. A friend told me he has even painted over it, though I have not tried it. I used it on my magnesium American Racing spokes wheels with great results, it did not need the constant attention to re-use that WD-40 did.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

Order some, you will not be diappointed.

John.

Sounds great I will try to get some.:usa

Back