Thread: Shocks

Shocks

I have a R25/3 that, while riding last summer, some of the grease from the rebuilt shocks gushed out the bottom of the shock. The person that rebuilt the shocks is no longer at the dealership. Does anyone have an idea what type of grease is used in vintage shocks?
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

My owner's manual as well as the shop manual says to use a lubricating grease that is "service proven" and "BMW agents will gladly recommend job-tested lubricants." Lots of help, huh! Certainly Vech at Benchmark Works will have some suggestions. I believe I hooked up my grease gun I use for other joints such as the swingarms on my /7, sidestand grease fitting, foot shift lever, even the grease that I would use on the steering joints on my aging car/truck. Seems to be OK...I'm not sure I can tell the difference or if it's even working.

Edit: Heard back from the German-based singles forum and one suggestion was to use any typical lithium based grease maybe referred to as "white" grease.
    Last edited by 20774; 03-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!