Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Crash Chronicles (Crashes and Near Misses)

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Glad you missed the crash part and thanks for sharing.

Yeah, don't miss the urban combat commute I did daily. It does give one real time experience with just about every possible scenario one can digest.
    Every situation different on how to handle, so no comment on technique...have done 'em all it seems. The speed for survival and have to immediately slow again doesn't leave room for any other factor, as said, BTDT

What fine ' burb did this occur in? Even though it happens everywhere.
    Just on the north end of Bernalillo NM on 528 in line with Wally World.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    And you and your new friend may be commuting on the same roads at the same time for many days to come. Good luck!
    Unfortunately you are correct.

Education.... We need education!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soocom1 View Post
    Education.... We need education!
    Education only works with someone willing to learn. She probably wouldn't qualify.

I-459 Near Miss

The setup-- School has just started, and traffic has picked up everywhere, and everyone is doing their best to show their stuff. There were 10-12 wrecks reported this a.m. as people were driving to work, trying to adapt to the new traffic patterns because of "mommy dear" taking their darlings to school.

On the way to my volunteer gig this a.m., I left the house an hour early to drive the 18 miles. As I looped up onto US280, then onto I-459, I'm thinking, "This is great! Where's all the traffic I'm expecting?" US280 was almost empty, I-459 was trafficky and light. I'm cruising on I-459 at a comfortable speed, matching trafficas flow. As I passed the first off-ramp, then the on-ramp, traffic was picking up a bit, and the lanes to my left were full. I was in the right-most lane. As I was passing the on-ramp, I saw a pickup truck coming down the on ramp, and his speed was such that we were going to meet right at the end of the on-ramp/merge lane, and I couldn't slow down without being rear ended, and I couldn't move to the left, as those lanes were full. I hit the throttle and made it past the pickup truck when I noticed the truck in front of me had come to a dead stop! ABS worked! And I stopped (and the pickup that was now behind me) also managed to stop w/o running into me. Now it's a 7-mile "walk the bike" until I can exit this parking lot and take an alternate route to my volunteer gig. It's always a good day when you roll into 'work" unscathed. (The cause -- one of those 12 wrecks was on I-459, near the intersection of I-459/I-20, some 10-12 miles ahead of where I hit my brakes! Traffic was backed up that far.)

Oh, I've got to replace that crappy "peep! peep!" of a horn. Where did BMW find that piece of junk? I'll need to look back through the threads to find the part no. of the BMW car horn that's a direct plug-compatible replacement.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Get a Denali SoundBomb. It is virtually a lethal weapon.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Maybe you could go to a wrecking lot and get a car or truck horn.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    The setup-- School has just started, and traffic has picked up everywhere, and everyone is doing their best to show their stuff. There were 10-12 wrecks reported this a.m. as people were driving to work, trying to adapt to the new traffic patterns because of "mommy dear" taking their darlings to school.

On the way to my volunteer gig this a.m., I left the house an hour early to drive the 18 miles. As I looped up onto US280, then onto I-459, I'm thinking, "This is great! Where's all the traffic I'm expecting?" US280 was almost empty, I-459 was trafficky and light. I'm cruising on I-459 at a comfortable speed, matching trafficas flow. As I passed the first off-ramp, then the on-ramp, traffic was picking up a bit, and the lanes to my left were full. I was in the right-most lane. As I was passing the on-ramp, I saw a pickup truck coming down the on ramp, and his speed was such that we were going to meet right at the end of the on-ramp/merge lane, and I couldn't slow down without being rear ended, and I couldn't move to the left, as those lanes were full. I hit the throttle and made it past the pickup truck when I noticed the truck in front of me had come to a dead stop! ABS worked! And I stopped (and the pickup that was now behind me) also managed to stop w/o running into me. Now it's a 7-mile "walk the bike" until I can exit this parking lot and take an alternate route to my volunteer gig. It's always a good day when you roll into 'work" unscathed. (The cause -- one of those 12 wrecks was on I-459, near the intersection of I-459/I-20, some 10-12 miles ahead of where I hit my brakes! Traffic was backed up that far.)

Oh, I've got to replace that crappy "peep! peep!" of a horn. Where did BMW find that piece of junk? I'll need to look back through the threads to find the part no. of the BMW car horn that's a direct plug-compatible replacement.
    That was a seat puckerer (I think that's a word) for sure! Glad you made it unscathed. When your aggravated, those little horns do seem to lack feeling. I can yell louder than that!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Well, this was ugly.....

The motorcyclist was very lucky.

More at the Rhode Island local channel 10 News.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/vide...3-year-old-boy

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Nearly deerly

This all went down yesterday, as part of a 300 mile round-trip ride to lunch (and some leaf peeping along teh way).
    Sue (riding a Spyder F3) and I had a fabulous morning ride over Trail Ridge in RMNP, as the heavy inflow of vehicles (15 mins to get into the park!) all seemed to disappear, and we were able to get down the west side with little backup from incompetent drivers (which really seem to be most American drivers). We then headed up to Steamboat, hoping to take Gore Pass over to Toponas, and then head north. Not to be, as the Silver Creek fire has 134 shut down.
    Found our way into SS, and enjoyed a lovely lunch at Salt/Lime. (excellent soft tacos, btw), then headed back over Rabbit Ears. Color was good up high, not yet much down in the SS valley area. Once we got past the caravan of vehicles doing 15-20 under the limit (WTF is wrong with you people?!?!), we headed up US 34 from Granby to Grand Lake. More great color (well, great for CO, pretty wimpy for New England). Along the way, we ran into another rolling roadblock, running 15 under (seriously, if you don't know where you're going, pull the fuk over to check your directions, rather than screwing with the rest of us for 5 miles!). Here's where things got "interesting" (sometimes, I hate that word!)...

From the corner of my eye, i see a flash of brown to my right, as a LARGE female deer bolts onto the road, attempting to thread her way thru some "thick" traffic all around (maybe a dozen cars or so), directly in front of me! Jumping on the brakes of my GS, she launches herself past me... and right into the front end of a pickup/SUV in the other lane. Missed me completely! Sue, running behind me, said the forest rat just exploded into a million pieces as it took out the truck! I never saw any of that... and when the adrenaline finally dissipated, I realized how very close I had been to taking a direct hit. It would have been very nasty, what with all the cars waiting to run me over if I'd gone down!
    Whew.
    Training, situational awareness, a great bike, and continual practice of riding skills paid off once again.
    Yesterday was not my day to die.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Glad that went better than it could have!

Still in the camp of a Near Hit instead of Near Miss in these cases as the former sounds closer to the reality.
    Seconds and feet are close enough for me.

Side note of wondering how the fires have impacted favorite routes. We see no updates of any fires after the news cycle moves on. Used the Colorado Forest Service site or whatever it's called to try and figure out routes of a planned ride earlier this summer.

My Saturday as posted in Regionals...not on bike so didn't share here first

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...PecosTX-hazard
    Last edited by henzilla; 09-17-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Thanks
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Thanks
    de nada. If you head up near RMNP, gimme a shout.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Here's a decent video on tips on riding in traffic. And the roads he is on are dangerous - multiple lanes, 55 mph speed, no access control at all. Serious wrecks are quite possible on roads like these. As a start, one must appreciate how dangerous these roads are.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)