Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Crash Chronicles (Crashes and Near Misses)

Pallet Ride

Rode in with H this morning, then long way back towards post office and home. Nice two laners with rolling hills and sweepers and all the traffic headed the other way.

After coming into Wimberley, noticed and dodged a damaged pallet and shrapnel just on the right edge of road.Was in a construction zone and figured it would be addressed quickly

Then when the road gets fun , noticed another in the middle of road straddling the double yellow. I pulled over and removed it for the next guy...ran a few miles and found this ahead of me with some rocking on the rear edge of the trailer...cruddy pic, but was trying to get his attention flashing lights. He kept rollin'.
    P1080562.jpg

He spit one out and I backed way off, still flashing some lights , he kept rolling...pulled over and drug another to the grass...seriously?
    P1080563.jpg
    P1080567.jpg
    I counted 5 I got out of the road. Two were in shaded curves and I moved a bit quicker clearing the road.
    Never did catch the ol' boy to commend him for his excellent loadmaster skills

" It'll Ride" was no doubt somewhere in the loading process...idiot.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

tain't no fixin' stupid.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

stupid or was he trying to get rid of pallets and still have plausible deniability?

You've got to wonder though - if he meant to have pallets at his destination and now doesn't...

Reminds me of the ladder across the far left lane riding through Chicago...a taxi ran over it. I was thankfully in the far right lane.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

The rampant lack of accountability on our roads finds me saddened this evening. I'm glad mr. "I don't care" is in custody, I pray for justice for the victims. I was especially impressed with the women holding hands over the victims in the video. It struck me that they were praying and needing to feel the touch of someone in the midst of tragedy. There is no shortage of hatred and malice in this world. Steve, I'm glad you or Helen didn't catch one of those pallets under the tires. Ride safe out there my brothers and sisters.

Stunt Riding Crashes

This really has me wondering about replicating stunts. I would imagine that at speed this must have happened to this rider or one of his posse. Still no Gear? Is this a cultural element of stunting?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b063179911e30e

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    . Still no Gear? Is this a cultural element of stunting?

Wow!
    The age of assuming being bulletproof . Like other groups, peer pressure is potentially deadly.
    Its one thing doing that stunting in a parking lot or a controlled event...on a common roadway is criminal...and just stupid. Don't have any sympathy for the dumbass. Luckily he did not have a passenger as some videos have shown. One thing you being an idiot, risking a passengers life is beyond comprehension.

Where to begin..

This may go with epic fails but a man lost his life. I wonder if there was no clutch or kill switch of any sort.

http://www.stjoechannel.com/news/loc...owing-accident

The foot brake fallacy

This rider was lucky in many ways. I am glad I was taught the correct braking methods in MSF and I ride a bike equipped with ABS.

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/3046024...ught-on-camera

stubborn deer

That time of year for sure, the deer are moving about as hunting opened.

Ran into town to pick up mail around 4PM yesterday, overcast and low light. Turned off US281 onto our narrow county road and throttled down to 35. Came around blind curve to see a 6 pt buck broadside maybe 100 yds ahead...He decided to stand his ground and did not move unti I eased up to within spittin' distance. I was almost stopped on top of him when he flicked his tail and slowly eased out of my path.No Fear! He either had other things on his mind, or moving from rifle reports.

One of those familiar road almost home situations. I always take that curve cautiously as typically if you see a vehicle on the road, it's in that narrow spot and in the middle of the barely two lane road. Still got the heart rate up.

That video will provide a great teaching moment for MSF instructors. Many bad things going on there. Perhaps his poor skill level would have been overcome if he had ABS... ABS is reported to reduce accidents by 31%:

Source >> http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...torcycles.aspx

The study >> http://www.iihs.org/iihs/brochures/m...o-ride-with-it
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    This rider was lucky in many ways. I am glad I was taught the correct braking methods in MSF and I ride a bike equipped with ABS.

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/3046024...ught-on-camera
    Excellent video. I think it proves all bikes should have anti lock breaks (yeah I know training...). Anti lock breaks have totally saved my life and my wife's too many times to count. The most recent event a mustang in front of me going from 60-0 in 5 seconds with no brake lights because he forgot his left turn was coming up. I thought I was dead on that one, I really did. I was able to come to a complete stop thanks to training and anti lock breaks.

I think the video also clearly displays the absolute need for a helmet. Excellent find. I thought the video was a good training tool.

Jam on that rear brake and off he goes. Lack of experience and training is an obvious conclusion.

ABS is great and has enhanced our safety toolkit...but still have bikes without it and go back to training and experience...and sometimes a bit of luck.

Mebbe he should have been lane splitting
    Glad he walked away regardless, that could have been ugly.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that he tells his friends that "I had to lay'er down to avoid an accident."
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I wish the news agencies would get an expert to walk through this during the report and point out the errors this rider made in slow-mo. My chapter President made some interesting points after he looked at this about realease the rear brake in the skid causing a high side. I thought he grabbed the front brake as he was headed to the Jersey barrier compressing the front end. Regardless not taking advantage of the inertial force by heavy use of the front brake severely increased his stopping distance. I suppose there might be some sort of exposure to litigation