• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crash Chronicles (Crashes and Near Misses)

Knowing how to ride has nothing to do with Crashing. As has been proven by one or the best trainers who was killed by a deer, crashing happen. There are many post about riding, this is just a report without judgement in most cases.

Every where on MOA you get information about training, and skill. Keep talking training, and proper motorcycle maintenance to help prevent accidents. Let these posting serve as warnings to be careful out there.

I disagree, strongly. Knowing how to ride has everything to do with not crashing! Granted, some crashes are unavoidable. However, even Larry's fatal crash had some things we can all learn (relearn?) from- he was riding at early evening hours in wooded, hilly country, at the end of a long day, intent on making the last few hours to get home. Get the picture? What should he have done differently? How could his crash been avoided?
We all know that riding bikes is risky, and that crashes do happen, nothing new there. Maybe it's just me (doubt it), but I see NO benefit in just posting up reports of m/c crashes, without some ability to examine the causative factors for the purpose of helping others avoid such situations.

This is from the OP, and Don E. that started this thread. I suggest we continue in the spirit that he and Don stated at it's beginning:

"This sticky is designed to share the invaluable strategies members have learned from crashes or near misses. The overriding goal is to share a learned strategy with the group that can be assimilated and hopefully prevent other members from crashing and minimize the number of near misses."

"Please join in this thread in the spirit that it was suggested and created in - helping other riders to improve their possibilities of avoiding road incidents! "

If we are not doing that, we are not doing much to help anyone.

I'm not saying the Crash Chronical has no value, as I agree it makes one think about the risks involved in everyday riding. The intent is not to scare us into realization, but to hopefully get us to discuss the many aspects of riding and crashing. But the real value in any crash chronical is learning from it. And the biggest value in that is learning everything that lead to the crash. It is in the minutes and seconds BEFORE the crash that we can all most benefit and learn, that is the first place we have the best opportunity to adjust or change or riding to help avoid the crash altogether.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned how visible are we.

I was amazed at how invisible one was to me and I think I have a relative good eye for catching a bike in traffic.

How visible are we really on our bike in different conditions?

Moving along a 2 lane street, 2 way traffic, old residential area but a through street with some lights (Wrightsville Ave in Wilmington near the hospital for those who know) but street not that wide, sun behind me. I was watching traffic approach up ahead, nothing close to me in my lane., Trees around with shade but street running east west had the lane mostly sunny.

Out of now where I saw this bike heading toward me turn left across my lane. Once he initiated the turn I picked up the movement. Newish cruiser, well polished, no fairing, chrome all around the front and typical 3 lights across the front. No signal that I detected.

The amazing thing was his center light was on and set in low beam and it appeared to be an OEM light fixture and not HID.. Nothing much was visible of it. Truly once it caught my attention it was just a bit of light golden light inside the lens, not much reflected at me at all.

It provided a bit of fill in light that actually made him a bit more invisible being slightly cream colored. The chrome as well picked up the colors of the day and surrounding landscape. His helmet was black. Shirt (which really wasn't visible behind the headlight/cluster/bars) was dark but not black, perhaps a dark sandy brown. There was nothing that made him stand out against his background of other cars approaching and the grey of the asphalt. Once turning across my lane I could also see his tank was silver/gray.

I was stunned at how invisible he was.

Would I have pulled out in front of him? If I did a quick stop look and roll, there is a good chance I might have. As for motorist looking only for the bulk of a car or larger, he was amazingly unnoticeable.

Lesson to self to re evaluate conspicuousness of my lighting, front and rear. I have one bike that is not very good and that will be modified. While I think there is a trade off between running brights in the day as it is hard to judge distance and speed, in his case it would have been a good safety measure. If he had on a hi viz shirt/vest, I most likely would not have been able to see it, A bright helmet perhaps, but most half helmets don't provide that much frontal mass to aid in being seen. So in this instance additional lighting would be crucial for him to be seen.

As for the lighting, I have some friends who have GSs and the smaller lens size during the day doesn't really add much jump out and see me like other lights do. A single orange day running light on cars provides more "see me' than I notice in their standard light.

OK.. back to the chores at hand.

NCS

A friend did get hit today but was able to ride back home, was going to get things checked out this afternoon.

"Was sitting on capital at the light for Burlington Mill, probably 3rd or 4th in line in the right lane. I left space, guy behind me left space....

Some jack ass in the left lane decided he wanted to test that Pauli Exclusion principle.....
He punched it, went to hop in the "empty space"
I went sailing. My leg hurts pretty good.

his first reaction was to accuse me of "coming out of nowhere"

I was pissed enough that I still waited for police so he got a ticket.
guy offered me a hundred bucks. But I wanted him to get a ticket...

he got two tickets. Failure to yield right of way, and improper lane change causing an accident i think.

Basically the cop told him the judge would drop one, but both were point offences. (I wasn't getting the tickets, so I didn't pay that much attention.) "

Unusal but happens

Kalamazoo woman was hospitalized late Thursday after she was struck by a motorcycle as she tried to cross Park Street downtown near Bronson Park, police said. The crash was reported just before 9:30 p.m. at the
intersection of Park and Academy Street, Kalamazoo Public Safety Lt. Matthew Huber said. Friends of the woman, who identified her as Cerita Blackburn, said Blackburn was crossing from the west side of Park to the street?s east side when a motorcycle struck her. Sequiera said he and Blackburn, who he said was intoxicated, had walked from a bench on Michigan Avenue and were headed to Bronson Park when Blackburn struck.

Please join in this thread in the spirit that it was suggested and created in - helping other riders to improve their possibilities of avoiding road incidents!

Here is a tip...make sure the inbred idiot that hits you isn't busy yapping on his cell phone about sweet eff all. I realize that is kind of hard to do in advance.

Two near misses at once

I was driving a rental van, towing a car yesterday east of Des Moines. Two bandanaheads came out of a rest area behind a semi and another truck. Inside guy gooses it, THEN looks to see if there are any vehicles in the LH lane. Outside guy follows his buddy without looking.:dunno

Fortunately I had a pretty good sense that these guys would do just that and I backed off my overtaking the semi. I can only hope that one of these guys soiled himself and will look in the future. :hungover

Sidebar: they passed us twice more on I80 by the time we got to Grand Island where we left the slab.:banghead

Traveling too Fast

Sheriff Dale R. Gribler reports that Van Buren County Sheriff Deputies along with additional Emergency Services Personnel responded to a 911 call reporting a motorcycle personal injury crash that had occurred on the I-94 Eastbound off ramp at exit 52 (Lawrence). Emergency responders on scene found one person injured, and only 1 vehicle involved in this crash, that being a 1995 Harley Davidson motorcycle. The motorcycle operator, identified as 40-year-old Steven Kuchik from La Porte Indiana was soaking wet, as did he have visible injury to his head and was complaining of severe back pain. Investigation into the crash found that Kuchik had been operating his motorcycle Eastbound on I-94 and exited off at the Lawrence exit. Kuchik lost control on the ramp, traveled off the paved portion of this road, hit a traffic sign which resulted in him being ejected off the bike and into a water filled ravine. Kuchik was able to crawl to up out of the ditch where a passing motorist stopped to help and called 911. Kuchik was transported by ambulance to Watervliet ER for treatment of injuries that are non-life threatening. Kuchik was not wearing a helmet and was cited for traveling speed too fast.

Watch for animals!
I've been riding a motorcycle most of my life and did so as a motor-cop for a number of years. I've seen just about every situation there is, but yesterday I had my first close encounter with a deer.

I was taking a short ride up hwy 33 and into Matilija Canyon to check on some property I own there. It's only a few miles from my home, the weather was perfect, few cars around. While cruising along the canyon rd, through some rights turns at a modest 20-25 mph, two deer suddenly appeared at the side of the rode. At the same moment, both deer darted right out in front of me to cross the road. I hit the brakes hard on my 08 R1200 RT, but it wasn't enough. Suddenly a deer was on my front fender pushing my bike sideways. A big THUMP followed. I did what I was trained to do, kept my feet up, got off the brake and slid a bit sideways. The deer kept going and I stopped in the middle of the road. The deer was already running up the hill nearby as I checked for damage. My front Cee Baily headlamp cover was pushed sideways but there was no damage. I don't think the deer was hurt was hurt at all.

I'd say I was lucky not to go down and even luckier to not get injured. Thankfully I was going slow. We've all seen deer, Elk, bears, coyotes, and small animals near roads in the forests.

So, be careful out there brothers. This is the time of year when forest and woodland creatures make bad roadside decisions you cannot predict. If you get in this predicament, keep your cool, don't put your feet down and focus down the road. Save your own life first.
Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Near Miss

The scene: SR 86, a two-lane state highway, at the intersection with Whiteface Mountain Ski Area, which is a Tee intersection, Wilmington, NY. SR 86 is a curvy road that follows the Ausable River. This is an obviously dangerous intersection as it is marked from both directions with the tee-intersection symbol signs with flashing yellow warning lights. I was headed for the KOA campground just past this intersection.

I am riding my RT approaching the intersection, ski area driveway on my left. A knucklehead in an SUV is there, failing to come to a complete stop for his stop sign, the only control at that intersection. He is planning a left turn onto SR 86, is rolling slowly, and his vehicle is already arcing slightly left.

What happened? His windshield post on his right is blocking his view of me on the RT. Because he did not come to a complete stop and is turning ever so slowly to his left, even as I progress forward his vision of me stays blocked because of the relative movement of his vehicle/blocking windshield post.

He decides to go, putting his vehicle on a collision course with me; my speed 55 mph.

Plan A: lay on the horn full blast. If I can slow his forward progress, I'll be through the intersection before he can cause the wreck.

Plan B: if that doesn't work, I'll countersteer onto the right shoulder. Thank God, and some past governor for the fact that almost all state roads in New York have paved shoulders.

Thank BMW for the super-loud dual Fiamms that came stock on my '03 RT. Plan A works, the perpetrator slows and a wreck is avoided. New York also widened that area of pavement at that intersection, which also provided more time and space to avoid collisions.

I was fully prepared to execute Plan B had Plan A not worked.

Harry

Fake Baby Causes Crash

OK, so it's not "motorcycle-related" or recent, but bears a view anyway...

Attachments

• fake baby.jpg
    fake baby.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 267
No Helmet, not their fault but what difference does that make to your head

PAW PAW, MI -- A man and woman from Paw Paw, both 54, were seriously injured Sunday when the motorcycle they were riding collided with a minivan on M-40. They were not wearing helmets. Both were in critical condition Monday morning, Deputy Jim Charon said.

The man was driving and the woman was a passenger on a 2011 Harley Davidson motorcycle southbound, south of M-43, at shortly before 5 p.m. Sept. 29 when the northbound 1993 Mercury minivan turned left to enter a gas station, according to a news release from the Van Buren County Sheriff's Office.

The motorcycle was unable to avoid striking the minivan; both people on the motorcycle were ejected.

They both received serious injuries and were taken to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo. The driver of the minivan, a 38-year-old Indiana man, was also taken to the hospital complaining of chest pain.

Alcohol is not a factor in this crash, authorities said.

This is out in the county, and does have a stop light, I bet the MC had the green light.

The investigation report will be sent to Van Buren County Prosecutors Office for review, authorities sai

One MC fault, One not

SHERMAN, TX -- It was a dangerous day for motorcyclists, as authorities respond to a pair of accidents today.

The latest happened around 5:30 p.m. on F.M. 1417, outside the Shadow Mountain Village community. First responders tell us a car was turning into the trailer park, when the motorcycle rear-ended it.

The biker was wearing a helmet, but still suffered head injuries. He was taken by helicopter to Plano in critical condition.

The road was shut down at the accident scene between Highway 75 and Highway 11 for a time on Friday evening while police investigated the crash.

Earlier in the day, another motorcyclist was injured during a separate crash on a different part of F.M. 1417. It happened around 8:30 a.m. on Friday at the intersection with Plainview Road.

Jesse Elliott, 46, of Pottsboro, was headed south and trying to turn left into a business, when a car suddenly rear-ended him, police said.

He was not wearing a helmet and was flown to Plano in critical condition. Elliott is part of a local motorcycle group called Texoma ABATE.

Hi I guess I should share my story

Hi Everyone

I've had time lately to read a lot and have gone through this thread in particular. I think its great to share experiences for a few reasons. Lessons to be learned we hope, and it can be carthodic as in my case. A little history, I bought an RT new in 08 and managed to put about 90k km on it thus far. The RT is a model of brilliant engineering, they just got it right. I've ridden it through some of the best biking roads in north america and rented RT's in Europe to ride in the moutain passes of Spain, Italy and Portugal. Even blasted some crazy laps of the Isle of Man on one....was a hoot. Its a very confidence inspiring bike and much sportier than most presume. It can be ridden to the cylinder heads in the corners narry a problem, I've done it countless times. Yet I can do 1000 km's a day on it no problem. I have ridden since I was 14 and am much older now....just hit the big 5 0 recently. I had a lil slide when I was younger and learned about road rash. Since then I always wore good gear I most recently ride with a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, I found a very nice V-star mesh jacket with C4 armour a few years ago that go with my BMW Santiago pants. I recently went from Santiago boots to the urban version of BMW high boot, apologies I forget their name.

Four weeks ago to the day I was out for a quick ride to get a latte (beautiful sunny day about 23 c). I should mention I am in Edmonton Canada. I was just back from a ride of around 4000 km the long weeekend before through interior BC. Amazing biking roads and weather. I normally ride Micheline Pilot Sport 2's and have always liked them. Good mileage and great traction for the riding I do but I changed them over to a new set of 3's and rode those the weekend previous. They still had good life on them as I had looked them over just before hopping on the bike. Well after my latte it was time to pop in for a visit and a sip with a friend. So I hopped on the bike...left a parking lot, left turn at a light....little bit of straight away (highway) to a ramp (a 270 degree climbing sweeeper with great paved surface). Cars were in front of a me a bit ahead and behind so I couldn't go as fast as I like to on that ramp. I gave a few weaves in my lane just to warm the tires ... bit of a habit, acclerated a bit and entered the ramp. I honestly do not know my speed, my guestimate appr 100kph, again taken this corner way faster.

I started to lean the corner and in a flash, both tires lost traction. I came down hard with a low side on my right. I was in shock and couldn't believe what was happening, bike parts started to spray my helmet. My hands freed of the bars and I started to seperate from the bike. The bike hit the side of the road, both tires dug in, and it violently high sided.

Unfotunately I wasn't clear of the bike yet. I was tossed like a rag doll. Its hard to describe the violence of it. I only saw rapid glympses of sky and earth and then the battering began as I struck the ground.and tumbled over and over and over. I felt my helmet hitting hard and I felt every bit of armour on my body being pummeled. I was completely at the mercy of the laws of gravity and dynamics. At one point I felt my whole back plate stiking my complete back. I have never been so helpless in my life. I wanted blackness as it seemed it would never end, after what seemed and eternity I stopped in a heap.

The pain was instanteously all over my body and I could not move. I am not sure if I did or did not black out at this point. But very quickly it seemed I heard the voices of people coming to my aid. Complete strangers. I could only see sky through my helmet portal...and could not move to look. I tried to unfold but nothing would work. Again the pain was overpowering. I heard "I'm a nurse!!" Other voices giving me words of reassurance. Some one screaming "Do not remove his helmet ! They gingerly moved me a bit.....and it hurt. Then the sound of sirens. The voices stayed with me calming voices. Then the voices of the paramedics. I was given something for the pain, then a painful move to a back board where they taped my head to it with my helmet still on. A bouncy painful trip and I was in an ambulance for a mad dash to the hospital. I learned later from my friend at the scene that it was being treated as a fatality crash site. I was in rough shape.

In the ambulance they needed to take off my right boot. Seems my foot was pinted 180 degrees the wrong way. They told me they needed to. I couldn't see anything but knew it was going to hurt. I said do what you need to to cut them off. The paramedic was adiment in his response. "No way man! Those boots saved your feet. I'm gunna save those boots!" He got it off and the other later. The other foot was pointing straight out. Hurt like hell but the boots apparently are good. At the hospital I was rushed from one room to another getting xrays, ct scans and all sorts of examinations. At no point was my helmet removed. Not until later a spinal expert showed up and assessed the situation only then once he cleared it did they remove the helmet.

What was the damage...well I was tossed approximately 100 feet fortunately into an open field. Both I and the bike bounced vilolently, I am not sure if it hit me while tumbling. I stopped about 20 yards past the bike. My right ankle was shattered with the foot pointing down. Left foot multiple boken bones in the heal and foot and it was grossly dislocated. Several broken ribs on my right side, two broken fingers in my left hand. My left knee, torn mcl, and acl and my right mcl tears, punctured lung and my liver took a hit. The bike, my pride and joy, is totalled.

Well on the nice side of things.....I am alive for one reason only. I was wearing good gear. There is no doubt it saved my life. I had no head injuries or spinal injuries. The helmet did its job as did the armour. I did get some road rash on my right arm and right knee and both sets of fingers. That day I did not wear my bike pants as I was not going far so wore blue jeans. I wore half gloves as it was a nice day and do in good weather.

I have had surgery on my ankle and the kings men put humpty back together again. I am amazed as it was nothing but bone shards. Lots of titanium bits n screws involved. I am currently in hospital I can not put weight on my feet and both are casted up with a knee brace on me left leg. I am healing and feel so fortunate, I will walk again with full mobility so they say time will tell. This could have been so much worse. In two weeks I find out if I can put weight on anything yet. I am working my physio agressively every day and feel good.

Lessons I've learned....gear....OMG. Can't emphasize it enough gear is worth the money. If you go down, try to get away from the bike. Things happen fast, it needs to be reflex. I was in such disbelief I don't think I reacted fast enough, had I cleared the bike....maybe my damages would not have been so bad. As for the cause, yes I was riding faster than the posted speed but not excessive for the type of curve it was at all. I do not recall seeing anything on the road and have a lot of time to think of it. The tires were probably cold but I was not putting excessive lean on them There are two perfect skid marks from the tires. At this point I am not sure why it happened and it is a bit unsettling.

I love riding too much to quit. When seeing a picture of how far I flew from the road I did have an epiphany. I may change my riding style to take in more of the view now. I have had my spirited fun. If anyone knows anything about the 2014 RT... I am all ears. I know I could get a deal on a 2013....but the new toys eww la laaaaaa.

I hope someone gleems something from my incident. I think this thread is an excellant forum. Enjoy riding, respect riding, live to ride another day.

Todd

Todd it is good to hear you are on a path to recovery. Your story was so well written that I developed some rather vivid images of the accident; thanks for sharing your story. I, and many others, will be anxious to hear if you determine a likely cause of the accident.

Wow, what a story! Glad you are well enough to share the story with us and that you will be able to ride again some day.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Hey Yammer - I will be In YEG this weekend and would to check into that location to see if I can get clues as to what may have led to this crash. If you see this PM the address. Thanks.

Back