Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Crash Chronicles (Crashes and Near Misses)

Just saw this Steve ! Glad you are ok, but sorry about your bike, however it can be repaired. Sometimes you just have to lay it down .....sorry.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

My Micatech side case will need some TLC as once opened ,it is hard to reclose and the bottom sure is ground off.

IMG_0993.jpg
    grrrr...Iphone
    Funny on the "lay'er down"
    I have fallen over a few times in riding, sometimes gravity and inattention when parking...but never a slide on purpose. I still am grasping the fact it was so fast and no perceived opportunity to do a single thing but hope it ended soon and without being smooshed by solid objects in path.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Well, it took me over a week to finally get back on a motorbike. Had been on a bicycle a few times since my slip-n-slide but found myself not craving a ride.

That near miss kinda got me harder than I thought. The first ride had me a little tentative even though the roads were dry.

After a few rides the last few days and I almost feel back to "normal" for me. Head games are not fun
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Well, it took me over a week to finally get back on a motorbike. Had been on a bicycle a few times since my slip-n-slide but found myself not craving a ride.

That near miss kinda got me harder than I thought. The first ride had me a little tentative even though the roads were dry.

After a few rides the last few days and I almost feel back to "normal" for me. Head games are not fun

Especially if you donít know what caused the mishap. I donít bounce like I used to.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

It's real. The first step in conquering it is admitting its there. In the Army we have what is called a post accident eval. We not only recognize it as a potential issue, we have policies in place to fix/correct the issue. From my experience with this in the helicopter world and in driving with my daughter after her accident, the best medicine is usually not to wait too long. There is some credence in that ole cowboy saying, "Get up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse that bucked ya."
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I am convinced that what happens is that the rider, when facing a tight turn at speed, panics. Instead of counter-steering harder to make it through the curve, he panics and gets on the brakes, the bike straightens up, and over the cliff he goes. There is only one way to negotiate the curve - counter-steering, and for whatever reason, he fails to do that. I believe he panics and does everything wrong from then on.

Harry

What is counter steering.... haha... I believe we ride amongst a large percentage of riders with no idea what counter steering is nor how to apply it. Add this to poor vision skills and we have many single motorcycle accidents.
    Not saying it will never happen to me because I still catch myself not looking where I should be.
    I believe it was in Total Control that we are hard wired to look forward at a distance to see dangers while at human running speed. Takes a conscious effort to look farther ahead.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

Glad your back in the saddle Steve. Also, really glad your "ok". Everyone can always give you "advice" on what you did or didn't do right or wrong. Who really knows what happened, except you went down. I can fully understand the hesitation about getting back on the bike, but it looks like you have overcome it. Glad all is ok .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS