• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Team Nun Bus rides the infamous ice roads of ...........

Very nice, Thanks for sharing. Still I am wanting spring or at least some sun. Raining and blowing 40 here today.

Ice track from 1-17-2011 weekend

winneice.jpg

2 miles even, and it took Lobster 8 minutes and 6 seconds to navigate round it

1-30-2011 track

icetrackjan302011.jpg

2-7-2011 track-
icetrackfeb62011.jpg

I blasted out a new track last Saturday (about 1.5miles) and granted my truck has a 9 foot blade, it took some serious time and fuel to build a track. The snow is getting heavy and we're supposed to get another 2-4 on Friday night.

the Jeep, I've been pushing snow with that thing for 8 years now, anything from an inch to 3+ foot drifts. When it gets deep, you need chains.

I know where your coming from with wear and tear and fuel. I've drained the tank more than one morning building tracks. Not to mention to 3-5hours needed building a new track each weekend, especially when it gets deep or crusty. All that boils down to why this year I decided it was time to just give the plow guy some money and I'll run laps instead.
2-13-2011:thumb

1180877604_YiA2d-XL-2.jpg

Bret's Jeep
Cory's F350​

1150781681_dcFvX-XL-1.jpg

Little welding in the shop and the Jeep plow is back up....

The track look's to be FAST and FUN.

But hard to tell for sure in a truck!

It started out dicey due to visibility, but ended up being a good day, though with a lot of traffic.

1173880138_xLUr8-XL-1.jpg

Cory, Bret, here is my plowing request:

After a straight stretch,
a 90 into a short s-curve with riders going southwest (the sun at the cameras back),
with a 90 degree exit.

Last weeks track was perfect for the camera :clap
Jim​

1173880188_Bu4xt-XL-2.jpg

1186781038_3p44X-X3-1.jpg

1187754971_BPMPM-X3-4.jpg

I might have up upgrade Brownsvillian to Ben 2.0 for his LookAtHowICanRide antics

Seein those guys with the MF44's.....maybe it's best not to get them.

Sure seems like they need to stretch out a lot more to get flexible enough to put bars on the ground

I'm pretty sure I looked like that too... you know, right before I crashed.

I hate that corner. I hope it melts... MELTS!

1181815568_zsoov-XL.jpg

Noise is always an issue when riding dirt bikes. Many Wisconsin Lakes are finding ways to stop ice riding because of noise. Sound travels far in cold weather and bare ice.

I hope the track was decent for everyone, because that's probably what we're going to be using for quite some time.

As far as noise, you saw the fancy banner we had made up. The idea was not to turn anyone away, but to show anyone on shore that we are addressing the issue on our own. It was supposed to be placed right by the access point on shore so the property owners could see it too. But we didn't have access at Clarence's for that.

As far as sound testing. I used 2 different meters and got some numbers. I also checked a few bikes at the owners request in the parking area. Not optimal, but you'd get an idea at least. On the edge of the track near the entrance road I was getting most bikes right in the mid-90's There were a couple standouts of course, and I hope you guys address it to the best of your ability. Riding style and where full throttle was applied in the corner affected the readings. Peak was 106.5 Dba for all bikes. I'll try to bring the meter and tach every time I go out. I'm also going to find a copy of the MIC book that has the correct test RPM.

Not sure how it's going to affect riding at Pete's but sturgeon spearing starts the 12th and we have one of the only plowed roads on the south shore.

A reminder....

Leave the LOUD bikes home! We put a lot of effort into this track and want to keep the local lake dwellers happy! We are shootin' for 96 db or less....

98... Repack? 102 go home....

Thanks

.......................................Team NunBus riding Bago

1174983208_ZM6AT-X3-2.jpg

1172687688_sMxVd-XL-2.jpg

Amazing what different light will do
Above: late afternoon winter sun, very cold crystallize snow
Below: bright cloudy day, near freezing making the snow clumpy

1180916375_AmN6M-XL-3.jpg

1180898693_EQoA3-X3-2.jpg

1180979810_h4jPH-XL-2.jpg

1150797181_g3mt4-XL-1.jpg