• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Team Nun Bus rides the infamous ice roads of ...........

BeerTeam

Ambassador

Team Nun Bus rides the infamous ice roads of
. . . Lake Winnebago.

In Wisconsin, the winter months can drag on.

One way to speed things up is to get a hobby
that takes advantage of the extreme weather that our northern climate can hand out.

A hobby that makes you look forward to the first below zero day.
A hobby that will make you cuss at the first 50 degree day of spring.
Of course the hobby has to involve motorsickles and your motorsickle buddies. . .

That hobby is motorcycle Ice riding/racing.

1186767689_LwKGb-X2-2.jpg

Below ISO 100, F7, 1/1000 second

1172719080_ZpLL4-X3-2.jpg

1172719493_jdzSP-XL-2.jpg

Last edited:
.............................Riding on water

1187819539_mzk2V-X3-2.jpg

My last photos of the year,
ADVrider BoneBag riding on water

The ice deteriorated very fast in the afternoon

1187819539_mzk2V-XL-2.jpg

The Saturday after, Freeflow flew his plane over our Lake Winnebago 3.2 mile track.​

Surprisingly there looks to b a lot of standing water on your course.

There is hardly any snow left on the ice but a lot of open holes from fisherman

I'll post up some aerial photos

1192087171_NqouW-L.jpg

pitot tube :lol..hey sorry, I was banking a little bit :lol
1192085611_h8TpK-L.jpg

all of the dark spots appeared to be shimmering like water..liquid water...:lol
1192087485_5mGTe-L.jpg

1192086659_KrCqT-L.jpg

1192085627_kmaBS-L.jpg

and some pretty freaky ice to the north a bit

1192087749_hRRe6-L.jpg

a few low angle shots at ...were only temporary :lol

Team Nun Bus rider "BENRON" take on "that Saturday".

There is a reason I called Saturday Febuary 19, "that Saturday" mostly because the Lake had it's seasons first fatality. Unfortunately, the Lake takes a few each year​

Went up and bombed around a little this morning. I pulled on at the BP in Fondy, started to drive towards the normal track area until there was a truck sized hole in the old path... I decided parking next to the launch was probably a good idea:deal

CIMG9038.jpg

Off-loaded the bike and rode up to wendt's, Dodging spearing holes along the way. Id say at least 2/3's the holes either didn't have any marking, or the sticks had fallen over. VERY hard to spot them before you got to them. It's going to be a real minefield out there when they skin over tonight and snows on top of them.:eek1

The ice is uneven, But has a hard surface. The old roads that were plowed have sections of open water.

Found a nice smooth spot and was attempting to get the handlebar to touch down... Was working fairly well until I fell off and the bike decided to chase me... Then it decided it would be fun to drive ITSELF in 20' circles while idling, Laying on its side... I managed to grab hold and it drug me along for about a lap before I managed to get to the kill button :lol3 All of this at about 5 mph.

Rode back down the lake:
CIMG9041.jpg

Managed to tip the bike over into the trailer, Tearing the seat and busting the trailer tail light.... Lots of folks pulling the shanties off.

Sounds like my laundry idea was pretty good then , seeing as how Jodi did it

5 cars sunk. One dead. Holes aplenty, big enough to sink a truck.

Rode back down the lake:
CIMG9041.jpg

(BENRON) Nice pics. Last season I had as much fun cruising the lake as I did tearing up the tracks.

Just a little public service announcement with some local (20 yr) knowledge.

This (the lighthouse) is one area no local will be found traveling as it's always very thin or open where the "big hole" (background) empties into the lake.

DO NOT travel anywhere near this are. See the sign? Ben's a little lucky. :1drink

I stay at least 1/4 mile from this area on good ice.

The same can be said for the canal by Suples marsh. If you enter always do so from the far west right along the shore. If you come from the east make your path at least 1/2 mile off shore, go west then south to the shoreline and enter.

The FdL waste treatment plant pumps the "treated" water right near the eastern corner of that canal so it's always open and thin.

Winnebago is a fickle lake. It's freezes quick but also opens up quick esp if the wind helps with cracks etc.

That is TeamNunBusLookAtMeBENRON​

You've got some great images there Jim! Always impressed with your camera work.

Just to let everyone know, Winnebago swallowed 8 cars over the weekend.....and 2 people. The melt we had, coupled with sturgean holes brought forth a dangerous situation. When all that water drained back though any hole it could, it made the holes bigger. There are reports of 20x20 foot holes all over the lake. They skinned over, with maybe an inch of ice Friday night, and then it snowed. So there are random holes all over the lake that can swallow a truck, and you aren't going to find them until you break through. Right now it's up in the air if we'll get a track plowed out there or not.

I guess Ben may get to say he was the last one on the lake this year,
not worth dying out there!

LINKY

The ice at the skating rink in Elkhart Lake looks pretty nice, it's on the tennis court's in the park.
Wonder if they would mind if we rode on it this weekend?

Great stuff Jim...as usual... I just wish you would learn how to take a good picture :stick

Helen says :wave

:thumb:thumb:thumb First track of the year :thumb:thumb:thumb
Here are two riders coming into and leaving a turn

1145542627_Ug75a-X3.jpg

ISO 100,
F10,
shutter 1/500

1145060910_7BFUC-X3.jpg

1145552141_kwvcV-X3.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Team Nun Bus

So . . . you are wondering who or what is "Team Nun Bus".

Team Nun Bus are the guys that I always seem to ride dirt & ice bike with. The team started about a year ago when PapaLobster bought a white vintage 90's Dodge Ram 350, 10 Passenger van complete with tinted windows. Lobster affectionately named the van "the Nun Bus". :dunno

PapaLobster

1173863175_GsuRS-X3.jpg

C-Squared
1173844642_JW4ux-XL.jpg

Brownsvillian
1173831364_yue2y-XL.jpg

VWBoomer
1172683149_MJZLx-X3-2.jpg

1174048553_juq55-XL.jpg

BENRON

1173921575_9BEuk-XL-2.jpg

.........................................More Team Nun Bus

Big Augie​
1144992252_54TCZ-XL-3.jpg

Number8teen​
1187858700_7b9fE-XL.jpg

DR Zed​
1186856581_ZSgBZ-X3-2.jpg

Zora​

Kurt................... Chris Baker​
1186687498_KrpMw-XL-2.jpg

GasDoctor​
1186929491_7wNA4-X3.jpg

GREAT pics, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing you in the Bier Garten!

So you guys do this on sheet metal screws?

You can, but ice screws work more bettah, IMO.
They look like sheet metal screws, but they are concave on the top with a sharp edge.

What Roy said, also to include a slightly raised edge and they are hardened. The Pro-golds (which are really black) have been the screw of choice lately with the regular Kold Kutters falling out of favor. Canadian screws have seen a rise in popularity, but are not AMA legal for competition. They have an even taller head profile for better traction in the fluff.

Sheet metal screws are for sheet metal. Don't put them in a tire.

1164013103_vS4h9-XL-3.jpg

:thumbWiFarmer tearing it up :thumb

1150761724_8HtEM-XL-3.jpg

Last edited:
Back