• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Whats normal;

Polarbear

Polarbear
The new F650twin gets fairly good mpg's on gas? I currently ride the GSA1200 and have had many of the big GSs over the years, BUT their worst issue is the really poor mpg's on the big GSs. I have seriously considered doing a F650twin next and I grow older too, where the biggest GS is probably not a probable choice in my near future, next bike. Is 60+ mpg the norm? And, has anybody else come from my perspective, bigger bike to the 650 class? I did own a F650 single in 1999, the carb years and found it quite enjoyable. The NEW F650twin sports a LOT more HP. Randy

I moved for an R1100RT to the F650GS as the new R1200RT was just too big. Not a money issue I just wanted to flat foot it and have a bike light enough to paddle foot it and easily back it out of a parking space, etc etc.

Very happy with the F650twin. It has more power than my old R100RT and weighs a bit less. Handles better.

I routinely get 62mpg here in Vermont ..on secondary roads. speed to 65 or so.

If you ride interstates at 75 or higher so you will drop into the high 50s.

I have 90 liter Jessie bags...if I ride with those 75 on interstates I get about 55, they do effect milage...

The worst tank I've seen was 53 holding at 80 to 85 on a long day on the Trans Canada....yes with the Jessie bags.

The F800GS does not get as good milage as the gearing (sprockets) is higher and the 85hp cam have more overlap and air injection to burn the waste fuel in the exhaust pipe. It also needs High test were the F650's milder cam take regular.

take one for a ride

Randy:

IMHO... 60+ MPG is not hard to do ... I've had the F650GS twin over 2 years now.

Conditions and riding style obviously have lots to do with it ... "assertive" riding in hilly terrain won't get you 60+ MPG, but in relaxed riding at highway speeds of 55 - 65mph I get 60+ mpg. .... but it's really easy to get LESS MPG and more fun :brad

Hi Randy, just for reference, my F800GS is running 52-53 mpg. That's doing the math- not from the computer. Computer vs math is an important factor in the comparisons nowadays :banghead Gary

The point about using the computer for milage is a good one. I've found the computer is a bit optimistic.

Being a nerd obssesive retired eng I do the math. so all the milages I gave in the previous post are fill up to fill up calculated...evan canada with liters.

If we're getting finedetail, my local ride here in Vt is almost 100% with E10gas which gets slightly poorer milage.

with a decent tail wind, and holding right around the legal of 75 in WYO, i've gotten up to 73 on my F8GS. routine is 52-54.

with a decent tail wind, and holding right around the legal of 75 in WYO, i've gotten up to 73 on my F8GS. routine is 52-54.

When I rode in Wyoming (vicinity of Rawlins) the "decent" wind was 45 to 60, quartering headwind. I got about 50 miles to each shorts change.

...And, has anybody else come from my perspective, bigger bike to the 650 class? I did own a F650 single in 1999, the carb years and found it quite enjoyable. The NEW F650twin sports a LOT more HP. Randy

I went from an R1200RT to the F650GS. Besides the lack of cruise control, the biggest difference is that the 650 really isn't very good riding 2-up. It can be done, but it's definitely not roomy! But the 650 is more than capable of interstate cruising and even better at the 55-65mph roads. (We now ride a Spyder for our 2-up riding and really enjoy it!)

Using my own math... i average 55.8 mpg... Have done as well as almost eighty and as low as about 45...

Pedro in okc, ok

Back