• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'08 K12GT Clearwater Glenda Install

pfiedler

He Who Rests Rots!
Has anybody done a Clearwater Glenda light install on a 2008 K12GT? I just got my kit delivered and I'm trying to figure out the best location for the brightness volume control POT. Also, would love some advice on the best location to grab the high beam hot lead (I believe it's white) which is called for by the Clearwater system. I'm trying to reduce the amount of Tupperware that has to come off to put this stuff on the bike.

I'm replacing a set of PIAAs low on the front suspension. I've heard so many good things about the Clearwater lights providing really enhanced visibility both night and day and the fact that they take much less power (and heat) then the PIAAs do.

I'll post pictures once I've got the volume control POT dilemma figured out!

Thanks for any help! Please ride safely! :clap
Peter

Fender or Fork mount?

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if you had the option for your bike, but for the K1300GT there is a choice of mounts: fender or fork. But there are no photos! I will call them to discuss this, but do you have an opinion about which one is best?

How do you like the lights? Are you happy with the mounting of the pot?

I am thinking of getting one set for my KGT and another for my new Triumph Tiger 800 (which I hope to have by the end of the month). I would be the guinea pig for the Tiger model (first customer).

Hi Eldor,

The lights are fantastic! I ended up using the fender mount (G31 type) instead of the fork mount. I had my PIAAs on the forks and I found them to be a bit too low. The fender mount works great and actually gives a much sturdier mounting in my opinion.

I mounted the brightness controller just in front of the colored plastic section of the left side panel on the black plastic skirt that meets the instrument panel. Drilled a small pilot hole, held my breath and drilled a 5/16" hole and the dimmer fit like a glove!

One thing I've discovered (and I'm currently working on) is a pulse modulation issue which seems to be CANBUS/BMW electrical related. With the ClearWaters, there's a trigger wire that runs from the dimmer pot to the 12v feed for the headlight (I have a Xenon light in my K12GT). I used a Posi-Tap to grab the 12v line (white wire) at the plug, but when I put on the high beam, the ClearWaters pulse high and low repeatedly. The ClearWaters are suppose to immediately go to 100% brightness when you either have the high beam on or flash-to-pass switch is pushed. If I take the ClearWater trigger wire and run it to the + side of the battery (thereby giving the system 12v), the lights go to full bright as they're suppose to.

Semper Fi has mentioned to me that this may be a PWN (pulse width modulation) problem know to these bikes. I'm waiting to hear back from him about a possible solution. I sense maybe some sort of inline resistor might clear this up but I'll wait to hear from him and trust his judgement on such matters as he is near genius status when it comes to BMW electrical systems!

I'll post some pictures ASAP of the install. I've already buttoned up the Tupperware, so you'll see where I put the dimmer pot and the lights.

I highly recommended them!

Please ride safely.

Peter

Back