• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LA to Vegas dirt ride

roborider

God? What god?
I just completed a 3 day dirt bike ride from LA to Las Vegas. It was a fantastic time. We went with ADMO for guides and rentals and I recommend them highly. They were 4 great guys (one drove the van to carry luggage, etc.) and 3 were guides. They were great buddies but always in control.

We did approx. 150 miles a day.

Here's some pics to check out.

IMG_6807.jpg

The group at the ride end. L-R John (guide); Robert (guide); Jeff; Me (no helmet); Chris; Frank (from Germany!); Tom (guide).
Not pictured: Matt (who withdrew due to previous knee injury) and Phil, the van driver and unsung hero.

IMG_6664.jpg

The aircraft grave yard in the desert.

IMG_6674.jpg

Chris ascending a hill.

IMG_6675.jpg

The Husqvarna monument in the desert. Sort of a bodiless graveyard. It started as a memorial to a dead rider and grew into a large memorial.

IMG_6690.jpg

Old gold rush mining tower falling to ruins.

IMG_6703.jpg

Snow in the morning in Randsburg, CA. We had to trailer to the other side of the mountains due to ice.

IMG_6719.jpg

The Barker Ranch where Charles Manson was arrested for the LA murders.

IMG_6731.jpg

Jeff descending a hill.

IMG_6733.jpg

Desert view.

IMG_6734.jpg

Chris didn't quite make the turn!

IMG_6760.jpg

Jeff siezed the Husky engine and was towed in. I don't think much of Huskies, we had several issues with them while the Yamaha and Suzukis were bulletproof.

IMG_6786.jpg

Guide Robert rode my bike up the marble falls. This was a bit rough and you had to be spot on or you'd crash. I left it to a pro!

IMG_6794.jpg

Jeff atop a massive dune taking pictures.

IMG_6797.jpg

Frank, who came solo from Germany, riding the sand dunes.

IMG_6803.jpg

Snow in the Spring Mountains forced us to turn around just a mile or so from the summit. We had to take the paved highway over the mountains to Vegas. I called this the pass of Caradhras--a Lord of the Rings allusion for you trilogy fans--That was the pass that the fellowship could not pass, forcing them to take the Mines of Moria and thus battling the Balrog.

I moved from Vegas to the east coast not too long ago. While I do enjoy the east coast greenery, MAN I MISS VEGAS!!!!! and the desert.

Sounds like an excellent trip, and thanks for posting.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the East coast is quite different from the S. Cal desert! I enjoyed the desert for dirt biking, but I'd get bored street riding there.

Back