• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ethanol in fuel

Read UP;

Dent corn, its called is NOT a human consumption corn product and ethanol is made from "dent corn"...Of course, if the lands were used for "people" corn, it would indeed be a food source! Dent corn is just as the name suggests, the kernal actually has a dent in it, true:). This was a news item a few years ago. Shoots the food crisis theory all to poop, don't it as all this ethanol corn is not edible...I not sure, but do not think any ethanol plants profit on their own merit, without gov't subsidies, do they? The railcars/tanks its hauled in are gov't subsidized too I believe, so Uncle Sam is very guilty of something here and force feeding the American public! Fleeced pockets are most probable in high places. And, just how many times can corn be grown on land without some recycling the soils natural minerals? Crops are generally rotated for this purpose, but America's mid sections must be plentiful of lands for all this? I don't know all the answer, just rambling:) Randy

I mix the 106 with 91, about 1-2 of 106 and 2-3 of 91. My bike can certainly handle that every one of five or six tank fulls. And it likes it.

Being the second highest HP R engine BMW produced, the R1200S can use that mix, with no issue.

If the USA uses the RON method, my MOM says I supposeta use 95.
93 corn crap is all I can find

< Mod hat on>

While this is always an engaging topic, let's keep the focus on how our bikes can deal with this fuel. The why's and how's of how it got here are bordering on political views and y'all know the drill.
Thanks and ride on.

< Mod hat off >

snip....
K75 and K100 bikes suffer damage when the fuel pump mount cushion turns to mush in ethanol fuels. If left unattended and not replaced every year or so this little $300 part turns first to mush and then to syrup, resulting in the need to replace the fuel pump and maybe the pressure regulator and maybe the injectors. The $1,000 fix for the $2,000 bike in some cases. BMW still supplies the part after 15 to 25 years but has not changed the formulation of the "rubber" it is made from. ......snip

Here's a fuel and chemical resistant vibration damper for $60, but the original damper in my '92 K75 looks like new.
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BM...Damper_16_12_1_464_694_p/fp-231kdamper694.htm

When considering changing mine at the same time as the fuel filter, the dealer (Bob's BMW IIRC) told me that the rubber formulation had been changed for the later models and to inspect mine before ordering a replacement. (I could verify the dealer by checking the fuel filter receipt, but I'm too lazy to get out of the recliner.)

And several posters apparently don't understand that octane has nothing to do with the heat content of the fuel. Your bike doesn't know what octane you're wasting your money on. Maybe your butt dyno is out of calibration.

Regarding mpg and E10. E10 has 4-5% fewer BTU's/unit vol than straight gasoline, so I buy based on price. I go with E10 if it's priced 5% or more less than straight gas.

Here in Germany we have to use a 5% mix and they recently introduced a 10% mix. Both bikes seem to work fine on the 5%, I am not sure about the 10%, but will try it soon. The 10% is about 20 cents less per gallon.

Scott

Here in Germany we have to use a 5% mix and they recently introduced a 10% mix. Both bikes seem to work fine on the 5%, I am not sure about the 10%, but will try it soon. The 10% is about 20 cents less per gallon.

Scott

10% is 'ok,' but it's also the ceiling - NO MAS! (or Nein! if you prefer)

That's per BMW. A few ounces of additive to counteract the ethanol per tankful should protect your machine. :german

I reread this thread, albeit in a hurry... did anyone mention WHICH fuel additives to use BY NAME?

For what is worth, my 1988 K75 has run on California ethanol added fuel its entire life. I had to replace the fuel pump mount at the 20 year mark. It still worked fine, but was shedding bits of rubber. The filter screen was kaput too. Most of the hoses are still original and in fine shape.

Scott

I reread this thread, albeit in a hurry... did anyone mention WHICH fuel additives to use BY NAME?

There are many out there but this one seems to get good pulicity...
http://www.sentrytreatments.com/

Keep in mind, when you use this it keeps the ethonal blended so you are actively burning it the whole time. This will lower your gas mileage but will keep the ethonal from seperating and bathing your tank and rubber/plastic componants in pure grain alcohol.

If you go through a tank at least once a week you'll be ok because your burning it before it seperates to bad. You probably don't need the additive. The best thing is tp keep the ethonal out in the first place.

Star-Tron is another one getting really good press.. Seems to be the ones most motorcycle shops now carry, including my BMW shop.

Sta Bil;

I just found this on the shelf at my Auto Parts Store, Kragens. StaBil calls it a "marine" application, blue in color in an 8oz. measuring bottle for 6$+, will treat about 10-15 tanks of gas, depending how rich you use it. Right on the front of the bottle, fights ethanol! For all gas engines. Its "blue", not the standard red Stabil Stabilizer. I'm putting half an ounce per tankful on my 10g GSA tank. Just started doing it today. Randy PS; I do not think CA. sells non ethanol gas :( anywhere. We'll be able to "deal" with it in our bikes when its GONE and we revolt, say'in enough already! How far will we go, until we get sick of all this force feeding us? I don't remember having any say in ethanol being introduced? Randy

I use Blue Sta-Bil as well - called them and had a nice talk with one of their engineers. Suffice to say, I use it regularly :)

But with your tax dollars at work the refiners get a 45 cents per gallon subsidy for ethanol blended fuel. If I understand correctly this is 45 cents for each blended gallon so at 10% ethanol a gallon of corn will blend 10 gallons of fuel or a subsidy of $4.50 per gallon of ethanol. So now I see how this works. Real efficient allocation of tax dollars if you grow corn or distill ethanol.

Let's please keep the facts straight. The blenders get $.45 per gallon of ethanol. Blenders are OIL COMPANIES. No benefit from the subsidy goes to corn growers or distillers.

http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/regcredits.html

What surprises me is that mixing fuel with bio-ethanol is hardly an issue in Europe. I never hear anything bad about it. Is the problem really the ethanol or is it other stuff they put in the fuel that causes problems (if any)?
What triggers me is that fuel additives is a big market in the US, but in Europe we don't do that. The only thing that I add to my fuel is injector cleaner once a year before a service. That's it. Some people do things to their fuel (and oil) but not a significant group.

It's not a case of ignorance, because if the fuel was to cause problems, we'd know about it. Especially with the internet and the way people tell each other about problems, it is very likely to surface.

Do they throw anything special in the mix in the US fuels? Also: why are some not affected, with old machines that run on ethanol 'enriched' fuel for years and others claim all sorts of problems? That sounds weird to me, and adds to my suspicion that it's something else than the ethanol (alone).

Let's please keep the facts straight. The blenders get $.45 per gallon of ethanol. Blenders are OIL COMPANIES. No benefit from the subsidy goes to corn growers or distillers.

http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/regcredits.html

No DIRECT benefit goes to corn growers or distillers.... but if the subsidies are eliminiated then "trickle-down" would have great effect on a.) distillers --> then b.) corn growers.

I'm not being political... just economics 101. Personally I have no problem with it, whatsoever. I actually think the subsidy should go directly to distillers and/or corn growers.. NOT OIL companies. I don't want them getting anything...

My Final Drive has been "in the shop" since December.... great mechanic, just slow... but I digress....

I'm wondering, at this point, if I should jettison the fuel that's in the tank.. . ?

Back