• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K-Bike (Flying Brick) Fuel Filter

kgadley01

Question...Has anyone found a compatible after market fuel filter for the Brick Bikes? The best price I've found for the BMW filter is $21.00 @ Beemer Boneyard. I have a 93 1100LT. Any help would be appreciated.

I used a NAPA Gold 3032 fuel filter in my K1100RS...recommended on line some where...only cost $4.63

I'm pilot testing a Carquest filter (#86032) for about $4.50-5.00/ea. So far (200-300 miles), no issues at all. If I could find a parts counter person worth more than a mouse click, I would probably have found a spec equivalent of the Mahle or Mann filter already...

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll be visiting Napa and Carquest in the morning. Any others, please let me and other riders know...

Here's a list I swiped from somewhere. Not a really model-specific part, but check for all metal construction (NO PLASTIC) I've been using the one of these, forget which :scratch

Triumph Stock - T1240850
AC GF61
BMW - 16 14 2 325 859
Fleetguard FF149
Fram G2
KNECHT MAHLE KL145
Motocraft FG-2
Napa Gold 3032
Purolator - F20011
Wix 33032

I looked for and bought several of these last summer, so far only the Napa Gold 3032 (which is the same as the Wix 33032 because it is made by Wix in North Carolina) is really of sufficient quality anymore. The others on the list that I could find at places like Riley, Pep Boys, Autozone, Wal-Mart, etc. are now made in China and the difference in quality is VERY noticeable.

Note that the burst pressure of the Napa/Wix is rated by Wix at only 60psi - though 35psi to 37psi is the normal range, the pressure relief of the classic K fuel pump trips at 65 Psi so with a correctly functioning pump it should be OK, problem is not all pumps operate correctly. The BMW filter is made to withstand 120+ psi for that very reason.

That said, I couldn't resist the Napa 2-for-1 sale in picked up four for only $10 :)

Thanks Ted, there's a Napa store about 1/4 mile from where all us retired guys coffee up and tell lies each morning... :laugh

update

I went to Napa and Carquest this morning. They both stock the fuel filter. The filter is made by Wix and the cost is $2.22 at Carquest and $2.88 at Napa. Just to be fair I bought one at each place. Thanks to everyone that responded. It sure beats the $22.00 that BMW wants. :brow

There is a Carquest near my house, what is the number on the Carquest filter? Thanks!

I

Note that the burst pressure of the Napa/Wix is rated by Wix at only 60psi - though 35psi to 37psi is the normal range, the pressure relief of the classic K fuel pump trips at 65 Psi so with a correctly functioning pump it should be OK, problem is not all pumps operate correctly. The BMW filter is made to withstand 120+ psi for that very reason.

Worked on a '93 or '94 S (small pump) that had a bad fuel pressure regulator. It put out 80 PSI.

:dance:dance:dance

Back