• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does cold weaken BMW hard luggage?

BCKRider

Kbiker
The question just again occured to me on a foray down to our basement (where my luggage resides in the winter) and probably because it is ridiculously cold for our area at this time of year - down to about 0 degrees F. tonight.

For years I've removed the bags when I parked the bike for the last time in the fall in its unheated shed. This because many years ago most of my plastic duck decoys cracked with almost no provocation. I attributed that to spending the winter in an un-heated shed. (Hey, I have several sheds!)

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have had your bags shatter in a tipover? Could be it was years rather than cold that did in my duck decoys. Could also be I am talking about completely different materials in the decoys and the luggage. (And no, I don't remove the RS tupperware - hadn't even thought of THAT until right now. Please don't tell me it gets brittle when subjected to below zero temps!)

Maybe someone with experience in this area (below zero storage and a tipover) or knowledge about the stuff in our "plastic" luggage and fairings could set me and others straight.

Don't think so

Dropped my bike in the garage last winter and it was -30C. Scratched but never cracked at all. Next summer up to +44C and didn't melt either. :doh
Seriously though I think long term cold/hot cycles would be a torture test for an hard luggage but am confident my luggage will stand the test of time.

Probably very similar;

The beemer plastics is probably very similar to all those car bumpers and other exposed plastic hardware on autos these days, so look around at your car parts exposed to a much harsher life and see how they are doing in the very cold? Poor ducks:(. I have live ones around here, their eggs we "eat". Randy

Back