• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aerostitch question (s) ?

J

johnnywishbone

i bought a slightly used 2 piece roadcrafter. the zipper that connects the jacket to the pants, no good. i removed the slides, and ordered parts from aerostitch.

my question is, do most ride with the top and bottom zipped together? seems like i would want them separate. but, in the rain, is zipping required if you want to stay dry?

also, to be honest, i feel self conscious in this stuff. blue and silver. a long time ago, i had a silver space suit looking thing i wore to keep from freezing. didn't feel funny then. why now? on the street, i've been hurt 4 times. never seriously. the aerostitch has armor. i really hope i get comfortable with this gear.

on harley, i never wear the biker uniform. all that darth vader stuff. i have enough leather to make a cow, but i prefer shorts and a beanie. take care, jp

I wear mine zipped together all the time. You can get a bib for the pants, then you would not have to have them together.
Once you get used to it you will love it, I know I do. Nice thing is it comes off in seconds.

Should you go for a slide and your top wasn't zipped to the pants, you'd be in for some road rash. It also keeps bees from flying up your jacket I suppose.

Think of full gear as cozy ;-)

Muriel

I wear the jacket and pants zipped together. I lost weight and the bottoms will slide down if I don't. Could be embarrassing in an accident...

I was self conscious about my looks in public too- Gray 2 piece Aerostich with black patches top and bottom plus a bright yellow Shoei helmet- but I realized that I got more smiles, recognition, and conversation with the gear on. When at the grocery store you will hear the 6 year old ask his mom if that is a REAL Power Ranger. Be sure to wave to him.

My summer gear is the BMW AirFlow 2 suit. It is mostly blue on top with Black pants. It looks more "normal" and doesn't raise as much attention.

Hey, let them know that you are a rider, it helps us all when we are seen in a positive light.

I am on my second roadcrafter pants and third jacket. In all cases I got the zip-on bib top for the pants and wear the pants as bibs, not zipped to the jacket. This is a great combination in my opinion.

I have an Aerostitch Darien jacket in high viz yellow. I get firefighter comments all the time. To tell you the truth, I prefer to wear my BMW airshell jacket. It's also high viz, but it has "better" styling. It's also not 3/4, not as bulky, but not as warm. I usually just wear it with jeans.

Lately I've been having a personal crisis about the high viz yellow stuff. I want to be safe, but I also didn't exactly get into motorcycling to look like a big dork all of the time. I've decided that 95% of the problem is that I am 50 lbs overweight, so the high viz stuff looks very large -- the michelin man effect. My goal is to loose the weight, then if high viz still looks dorky I'll get some leather.

SH

I have a two piece in bright yellow. Wear mine zipped, as its easier to get in and out of that way, and I only have to hang up 'one' thing.

Yeah, I look like a dork, but I don't care. And I've been offered half off meals more times than I can count. "Wow, a FEMALE firefighter!! Cool!!" I decline the discount, and tell them thanks, but I'm not allowed to do that. I just don't tell them I'm not a FF, but I do tell FF and cops where to go. :)

"Yeah, I look like a dork"

i will force myself to honestly believe that dork is cool.
"endeavor to persevere."
was that from "little big man"? take care,

I wore the set zipped together and found many features I liked about the suit except, it just did not have enough summer vents, the croch leaked every rain storm and the two front jacket pockets need a gusset to expand just a little. So after 3 seasons I sold it.

I bough a two piece Roadcrafter two years ago. Stiff as rusty suit of armour, hot as a Dutch oven, can't get my hands into most of the pockets when I'm wearing it. Other than that, almost as good as the $250 riding suit I bought at the National 15 years ago. In my opinion Aerostich stuff is not all that it's cracked up to be.

I bough a two piece Roadcrafter two years ago. Stiff as rusty suit of armour, hot as a Dutch oven, can't get my hands into most of the pockets when I'm wearing it. Other than that, almost as good as the $250 riding suit I bought at the National 15 years ago. In my opinion Aerostich stuff is not all that it's cracked up to be.

I thought it was just mine!

Ever since I got my two piece stich, I've been waiting for it to limber up. Thank goodness I paid only $300 bucks for it. If I'd of paid the full price, I'd really be disappointed.

Tom

"So after 3 seasons I sold it "
"95% of the problem is that I am 50 lbs overweight"
"lost weight and the bottoms will slide down "

if sold after 3 seasons, replaced with what?

bodyweight: i retired a year ago. i was pretty worried since in my trade, average time collecting a retirement check is 2 years. then you die. although 65, i didn't really feel near death.
i got checked by the doctor. seems there was nothing wrong with me. been drinking and smoking since before i was old enough to drive. so, this was a pleasant surprise. so, in this odd order, i
1. bought aerostitch suite and a bunch of bmw rt1200 stuff and clothing
2. stopped smoking and drinking and chewing tobacco
3. gained twenty pounds
4. bought a loaded 2011 r1200rt

just thought i'd share that with you. i'm really looking forward to the warmer weather. take care, jp

For a Stich to "soften up" it has to be exposed to lots of wind, sun and weather. It won't break in just due to age, but washing it can help (just remember to re- treat it).
The suit was designed to be practical and comfortable for everyday commuitng and long distance riding. Live in it 500 miles a day for a month or so and you'll understand why it's made the way it is.
As for style, well that's in the eye of the beholder. When I see somebody walk in wearing a dirty, grungy Stich all I can think about is how much fun they probably had getting it that dirty.
Also, if the crotch of your stich leaks in the rain try waterproofing (seam sealer works) the zipper tape in the crotch.

I replaced my Aerostitch with an Olympia Moto X
As for leaking in the rain I treated all the seams with Aerostitch seam sealer
I stood up on the pegs hiked the pants up and pulled the jacket down
I searched other soultions and stopped just short of buying a rain suit to wear over a 800 dollar waterproof riding suit that show a guy being soaked with a car wash wand in the catalog. Really I like the suit and was going to buy the police model but just could not get past the leak. I have other Aerostitch stuff and use it every day.

I like my Aerostitch Roadcrafter two piece suit . I wear it seperate ,with suspenders .I have the old HI-VIZ yellow .Drivers in cages are more inclined to notice me with my bright colored clothing .Customer service was good . It took a couple of times to get it right . I ended up getting the all weather pads .It does break in .It is a straight forward and simple design compared to some more expensive suits on the market .In my opinion the Aerostitch Roadcrafter is a good value for the money . It sounds like you are going to have some fun JohnnyWishbone ! I sleep a lot better at night knowing that we have a panel of authorities with a vast knowledge of everything monitoring the BMWMOA forums .

Last edited:
I'm an Aerostich fan. It has been my main gear for at least 20 years. I have bought a half dozen jackets trying to do better. Always go back to wearing my Stich. Sizing is critical. If the pockets are a problem as mentioned above the jacket is too snug. The stiffness goes away in short order if you wear it a lot. We "live on" the bikes about 5 months a year. From south to north, hot to cold, the Roadcrafter jacket is the only one I take on these trips.

I will wear a mesh jacket for short trips locally but not long days or when traveling because the increased air flow leads to dehydration. I also have a pair of mesh pants I sometimes wear with the Roadcrafter jacket. About 90 degrees is my limit for the Roadcrafter pants.

I currently ride a two-piece stitch. I have had no problems with leakage at all. I bought this one from a guy that simply didn't like it. When I got it - as expected - it was really stiff. It's now far more compliant. My only complaint/observation is the jacket pockets are really too high to use comfortably. Then again, this is my first two-piece. I'm used to the one piece, having had two of them.

The one piece suits me perfectly. The only problems I had with it was the wet crotch. I bought the two piece because I want to be able to wear the jacket by itself when not on the bike. I like the jacket by itself just fine. I think the two-piece is a good compromise for me.

As to what it looks like - this isn't a fashion show. I sincerely doubt I could care less how stylish I look sliding down the asphalt, knowing I'm well protected. No, I haven't and no I have no intention of checking that statement out.......:nono

I'm an Aerostich fan. It has been my main gear for at least 20 years. I have bought a half dozen jackets trying to do better. Always go back to wearing my Stich. Sizing is critical. If the pockets are a problem as mentioned above the jacket is too snug. The stiffness goes away in short order if you wear it a lot. We "live on" the bikes about 5 months a year. From south to north, hot to cold, the Roadcrafter jacket is the only one I take on these trips.

I will wear a mesh jacket for short trips locally but not long days or when traveling because the increased air flow leads to dehydration. I also have a pair of mesh pants I sometimes wear with the Roadcrafter jacket. About 90 degrees is my limit for the Roadcrafter pants.

This one is a tad too large:laugh:laugh:laugh

Attachments

• Jim Shaw & John Ryan Visit Feb 2011 (28).jpg
    Jim Shaw & John Ryan Visit Feb 2011 (28).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 468
The pockets did take a bit to used to. now i have my 'a place for everything and everything in its place' system set up, and its no longer an issue. I do, however, miss the big chest pocket that my Darien jacket had.

I've put about 35,000 miles on it, and its been washed twice. It took about two months of almost daily wearing to break it in and not feel all stiff and miserable. It fits pretty much perfectly now. Well, expect for the 'waist' on the pants, I've lost a couple of pounds and the excess elastic on the drawstring is a bit out of control. :laugh

I've never had mine leak, and yeah, it does get a bit warm when the temps are up in the high 90's - low 100's. Funny thing is, I wore a mesh suit once when the temps were the same and I though I was going to melt. 'stich kept me a couple degrees cooler than the mesh suit did. ~weird~

I wear my 2 piece zipped together. One of my older Roadcrafters I used to wear with a bib, but I find it easier to put on and off to wear it zipped together. It gives great versatility. I have worn other gear and always gone back to the Stich. I know that there are Stich haters out there, but I don't care... to each its own. I can tell you that I have never had a Stich leak on me... not the crotch either... what I have learned is to treat it well... it is just like my airheads... the airheads love to be ridden, the stich likes to be worn. It is like second skin... I don't even know that I have it on anymore... I also don't overwash them... maybe once a year, sometimes once every two years!!! I am always thinking the washing weakens the material and besides I ride too much and don't have much down time.

Back