• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another engine guard (crash bar) question '10 R1200RT

Sandalwood

Looking for engine guards for 2010 R1200RT.

Have been looking at Wunderlich, Ztechnik and Touratech.

Would prefer avoiding removal for valve work, but more concerned about damage to engine from drop forces transmitted through guard to engine attachment points.

Is there one of the above that is superior for safe attachment points (frame)?

Any comments on fit & finish of the above 3 guards?

Stainless, chrome and powder coated...does one hold up better than the rest?

Touratech is what i got. engineered sheer points. horrid price. makes the other bars look
"funny". jmho, jp

ZTechnik

I have the ZTechnik guards on my RT and I'm quite happy with them so far. They were fairly easy to install and I have dropped my bike at low speed in a parking lot with them on and they performed just fine. There wasn't any engine damage and the guards did what they are supposed to do. They do not have to be removed to take the valve covers off and I think they look better than most as well. I'm planning to add a set of the Illium Works highway pegs to them at some point. I'm probably going to add the Wunderlich America luggage protector bars to this as well.
Good luck with your choice. Don

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z7105.html?search_model=bm-026

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm...ode=8160179&Screen=SCRNSHOT&scrnshot_offset=1

I have the cylinder guards from the GSA on my '07 RT. They work well and look like they were made for the bike.

Sandlewood,

I've added the year/model of your bike to the thread title. Since not all hexheads can use the same engine guards this might help attract someone with good info to the thread. It also will help in the future when people are searching for the same information.

Please consider doing this yourself for future postings.

Best,

I installed the Wunderlich engine guard today. It blends in very well in the powder coated silver. The next addition will be foot rests to streach out and driving lights.

Back