• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flip up helmet failure

I read the same article as Terren did. My only concern is that my Shoei Synchrotech latching mechanism became unreliable after about a year. I tried using the adjustment screws to get it tuned in but it was no go. I still have it on a shelf, but I now wear an HJC full face. Snell approved and comfortable.

Whenever I manage to get out of the shop area and in the sales area, and I get a helmet customer, I tell them that the best, most expensive, highest rated helmet does absolutely no good unless you wear it. There are two of us in the shop who like to attribute being alive today because we were wearing our helmets in a collision.

Exactly....

PhilScrivano said:
I like the idea that most posts to this question do not have a good crash story. I try to keep my bike vertical as much as possible. :brow

And that's why there's close to 350 hits on this thread....there are lots of us that want to hear what's been said on this subject. Personally, being a new rider, safety is first and foremost in my mind every time I ride. I read lots of threads here in an attempt to learn from other peoples experiences. I don't post too often because as a newbie I feel there isn't alot of constructive advise or experience for me to share.

With that said, my first and only helmet to date is a Scorpion Exo 700....I'm very, very happy with it. But I have several friends who ride with modular helmets and I'll admit, sometimes I wish I had a Nolan.....

JQ

No more flip up

Well since someone else popped this thread back up top, I thought I'd post my conclusions. My new Shoei X-11 arrived last night and I did a short 100 mile test spin this afternoon. I feel better wearing it and it is siginificiently quieter than my HJC Symax. With the vents closed it's much warmer too. My Symax seems to funnel air right up my face.

I guess my take on all this is just that, a guess. I imagine that under some circumstances, with just the right impact, at just the right angle, with just the wrong helmet, some flip ups could fail where most full faces would not. We all realize that hitting a steel bridge at 70 per with our head makes any helmet discussion moot. So maybe I'm just another case of wanting something different and searching for justification for what I wanted to do anyway. I'm happy with my choice and thanks for playing! :dunno :bikes

Oh yea, I got safe white too while i was at it.

Back