• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth Intercoms

J

Jack D

I am looking for a Bluetooth intercomm setup for my passenger and myself. It seems that the intercomms du jour are the Cardo Scala G5 and the Sena SMH10. I have read reviews but still have some questions. I am open to other units.

Will they accept an audio input via 3.5mm stereo plug?
Will the intercomm and/or an auxiliary device (GPS) interrupt the audio mentioned previously and then return?
Can you have the main intercomm unit paired with the passenger unit and also with the GPS?
Do they have VOX and/or manual control on the intercomm?
Do they have an output for earbuds?
Any support issues?
Battery life when listening to music?

Anybody there who has tried both and wants to give an opinion?

Sena

I have only tried the Sena. It has a input jack for items other than blue-tooth. I have used it for connecting my iPod Classic. Works great. No output for earbuds, only the attached large speakers. Takes a bit to get them located comfortably in the helmet. The battery life has been great, lasting a more than a day. It uses vox to cut out the road noise. It does a good job. No manual talk button. I only have one unit so I cannot speak for the rider to rider sound quality. I have used it a few times for phone calls. It has been very good. Most times users have said they had no idea I was cruising down the road. If there was any comment was that the volume was a bit low. Guess that's what happens at highway speeds. Sometimes the caller is a bit low on the volume, but could be the phone network connection. No support issues. The manual talks about pairing your phone to the GPS and the GPS to the Sena. My GPS does not have blue-tooth so I can't speak for that pairing design.

Ready to get back out on the road. Go away snow! :type

Last edited:
ADVrider

has long threads about each....

bottom line, is the Sena does pretty much all that you want, and works very well.

One thing to be aware if you have a Bluetooth capable GPS it needs to be able to support stereo meaning A2D2 capability

My wife and I got Scala Rider 4's which hooked up well and easy.

However we got Zumo 550's - epic fail - if I am listening to XM I can't hear her if she talks to me.

If see is listening to her music - epic fail - she cant hear me if I talk.

So now we are looking at either the Zumo 660 or 665

I just picked up a Sena SMH10. While I haven't road-tested it yet, am pleased w/ the system. Paired well with my audio farkles.

However we got Zumo 550's - epic fail - if I am listening to XM I can't hear her if she talks to me. ... So now we are looking at either the Zumo 660 or 665

~~~~

Semper Fi:

Before dropping serious $$$ to replace the 550, look into getting a Bluetooth dongle thats A2DP-capable. Plug the dongle into the earphone jack on the Zumo's mount. Then pair the Sena w/ the dongle. (Don't pair the Sena to the Zumo.) This should resovle your problems, plus give you stereo sound from the Zumo.

JohnM

I just picked up a Sena SMH10. While I haven't road-tested it yet, am pleased w/ the system. Paired well with my audio farkles.

~~~~

Semper Fi:

Before dropping serious $$$ to replace the 550, look into getting a Bluetooth dongle thats A2DP-capable. Plug the dongle into the earphone jack on the Zumo's mount. Then pair the Sena w/ the dongle. (Don't pair the Sena to the Zumo.) This should resovle your problems, plus give you stereo sound from the Zumo.

JohnM

That sounds like a great solution - but I have Scala Rider 4's - does it work for that?

Link?

:eat

make sure you get a system for rider to passenger not rider to rider....you don't want interference.

Back