• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gps

Zounds... what a question. Well at least it was not about oil. :D

There will be many opinions concerning one GPS brand or model's worth compared to others and you'll need to weigh those opinions for yourself.

There are a variety of attributes available on GPS models that you can research. For motorcycles the size of the screen is important as is the weather proofing of the device. Garmin makes some motorcycle specific models (Zumo) but they are pricey. I have a Zumo 450 and it works well. You can get a much less expensive device that will do what a Zumo does and then put it in a weather proof container. Bluetooth is a capability that some folks covet but you'll pay for it. Another capability to consider is trip planning. Some devices allow you to plan a route on your home computer and then upload it to the GPS. I have that capability, but have never used it. Frankly, in Alaska a GPS is just a real expensive fuel gauge.

Do a search of the forum for the key words of Zumo, Garmin and even GPS and you'll get a bunch of info. There is also a Zumo specific forum out there somewhere.

Good luck.

Are all GPS's about the same or are some better than others?
Hi scooterboy, Welcome to the forums. Over in the Gear section of the forum you can do a search. I've set up a good example of how to search in the welcome to gear section. The key words would be gps, routing and sat/nav. There are three real good threads that should be of help. I'll move this thread over to gear to get you started, Gary

They will all get you from point A to point B, but other than that they all offer different features and benefits.

No, they are not all the same. It depends how you want to use the device.

Which is why selection for my needs was super easy.

Any GPS that had a proprietary battery as well as had a mere less than 10 hours of battery life between charges, was useless to me.

Here's my thoughts:

I've owned Magellan, Garmin, and Tom Tom.

I love the Tom Tom. I got one for about $140 and it is great. Fast, speaks street names (some with an amusing pronunciation), lots of features, etc. For a car, I can't see spending more than that. GPS are becoming disposable, like cell phones now.

Magellan used to be the best in my opinion. They are HORRIBLE now. Very bad software.

For the motorcycle, I don't think you can beat the Garmin Zumos. But, they are too expensive for me. Over $600 for a GPS--not anymore. I got the same Tom Tom unit that I have in my car. It works just fine. I mounted it w/o issues and connected power and it works great with gloves on. The drawback? It has no sound jack so I can't pipe the sound into my mixer. But, I've found that no sound is not that big of a deal given how I use my GPS on the bike. I'd love to have the Garmin, but they are just too pricey for me. Oh, also, the Tom Tom is not water proof but on that rare, VERY RARE occasion that I want GPS in the rain, I just put a zip lock bag over it. So far, no problems.

For a motorcycle, you want a unit that will work with gloves on and has a decent size screen. Sound jack is good if you use a sound mixer and earphones or helmet speakers. Water proof is nice. Balance these features with cost.

Best GPS

+1 on GlobalRider's comment. What is important to you? I dont care about waterproof - can cover or put in my pocket in that VERY RARE occasion I need it in wet weather. I want a wide screen. speak street names, lane guides, junction signs, traffic compatible, MP3 player, find emergency help, Bluetooth. Using the Garmin Features List, it says a 765T or 775T. Since I am not going to Europe, no 775T. That leaves the 765T. Same one I bought about 2 years ago and I am still happy with it. Will mount it to Heidi on Thursday when the RamMount stuff arrives. So, regardless of brand, check the list of available features, pick the ones you want, and buy it AFTER validating you can get motorcycle mounts for it. Check out RamMounts website for that. They also have a great selection 'wizard'.

Check out RamMounts website for that.

Very versatile stuff...customizable to anyone's needs.

I took one of their items, modified it and ended up with something you'd find as standard on a BMW...
148883143_aJLpw-M-1.jpg

With some other RAM bits, a nice GPS mount...
148883087_juvRT-M-1.jpg

And along with some Manfrotto parts, a quick release for my camera...
393426174_VBz3U-M.jpg

Why I bought a Zumo 550

I purchased a Zumo a couple of years ago.
The reason I bit the bullet is:
Desk top routing
Water proof
Glove friendly
Very accurate maps

In the time I have been using my Zumo it has been rock solid and the desk top routing (only way I know of to avoid auto route) is simple once you get the hang of it. My GPS is hardwired to the battery (Garmin supplied cable) and mounted with a Ram system using the garmin supplied cradle.

By the time you buy cables, cradles and mounts (oh my), for other brands the Zumo price does not hurt so much.

You set that up nicely. For my Tom Tom, I put the supplied mount right on the RT speaker grill and I just wired in the 12v supply that came with it to my FUZEBLOK. So there was no additional costs to me and it is clean. It also has a feature where you can make routes on the Tom Tom website and download them. I should try that, but I've not gotten around to it largely since the roads I take are pretty memorized.

The Zumo is much nicer and waterproof, but dang, they are PRICEY!

I did spring for the Zumo as well. Sometimes out on a rally and riding, one suddenly encounters a downpour. Trust me with all the weather trackin devices you have it will happen. Its nice to know that these sensitive electronics will be safe and one just has to get himself into rain gear that you will be carrying. When it happens you will know what I am talking about. No time for zip-lock bags.
The 660 can be had for about 499 or so and I think its a good deal. + if you have BT in your helmet, you can be in bike paradise.

I have the Zumo and love it. The desktop software to create routes is very useful. I'm on a mac, and sometimes its annoying but still way better than the web based software from TomTom.

I usually do a 10 day vacation. Its really handy to drop all the routes and way points for your trip into the Zumo before leaving home.

If you are a trip planner, the Zumo is the only way to go.

A major advantage the Garmin's have is the ability to plan your route on a desktop computer and load it into your GPS. Or plan a trip on Google Maps and upload the route to your GPS. As far as I can tell, any Garmin will allow you to do this. My brother has a very expensive Zumo. After looking at features and prices, I bought a nuvi 550. Waterproof to the same standard as the Zumo models. Garmin rates it as "motorcycle friendly", just like the Zumo's. Price is only $299 list, street price $249. It does not have bluetooth, XM radio, or an MP3 player. Since I do not want those features built-in to my GPS, I went for the lower price. The nuvi 550 is also a "multimode" GPS. It has a mode for walking (on streets), hiking (off-road), driving, and boating along with an 8 hour battery life and a user replaceable Li-ion battery. It has the track-back feature that will allow you to reverse your course turn-by-turn, which is particularly handy if you ride a GS bike off-road. You can take the trails that are not even on the map, and when you are ready to get back to the main road, the track-back feature will take you back exactly the way you came. Zumo's have this feature too, I believe, but I have never seen it on other brands.

I bought a lifetime subscription to the map updates last year when they reduced the price to $89. A single update is $49, and when the lifetime dropped below the price of 2 updates, it seemed like a no-brainer. They come out with updates about 4 times a year. I don't think the roads change that fast, but the points of interest definitely do. I have a Magellan I use in the car, and I have navigated to more than one boarded up restaurant. The other thing you get with the updates is updated software for the GPS device, which means better performance every time you update.

Another nice feature of the Garmin models is the ability to enter longitude and latitude coordinates directly. I can't do that with my Magellan. I have used that feature more than once to navigate to a Rally out in the middle of nowhere that publishes the GPS coordinates (invariably in Garmin format). If you are meeting someone, and you both have a GPS, the first one to arrive at the meeting place can read their location from their GPS and send a text message with the coordinates.

You can also save your track for a long ride to files which can be downloaded from your GPS later and displayed on your Garmin desktop software, or even in Google Maps.

Last year I took the nuvi 265 out of my car and used it. It was great to have the screen with all the road names. It makes riding more fun than stopping all the time and looking at a paper map as you explore new roads.
However, I love to plan routes on my computer that will take me through interesting little towns, historic sites, scenic areas and any other place of interest.
It sounds like I need to move up to a zumo that will let me plan routes. The lowest price one is $500 and it looks like it is programable for the input of routes.
It looks like I can use the same mount as the nuvi 265.
Great info on this thread. Thanks.

I have been using my totm tom xl 350tm in a joe rocket tank bag. The tank bag has small pocket/window for small gps and another for pocket window for my cell phone.. Not the best solution but work good for day rides when you want to take a couple bottles of water and some snacks maybe a paper map for backup.. and few other iteams..

I would love to have a zumo for all the reason listed above.. desktop planning... blue tooth... but for now.. I need few other things for the bike but zumo is on the list...

I wish the tom tom was capable of atleast two or three way points.. would make round trips so much easier to plan..

Back