• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW offroad training in New England?

dreams

kiki
Greetings
In searching the internet for all things BMW, I found a number of off road or partially off road adventure companies out west. I was wondering if any one knows of any on the east coast? I am looking to improve my off road skills and it is not feasible to travel out to the west coast.
Thanks for any input
Kelly

Greetings
In searching the internet for all things BMW, I found a number of off road or partially off road adventure companies out west. I was wondering if any one knows of any on the east coast? I am looking to improve my off road skills and it is not feasible to travel out to the west coast.
Thanks for any input
Kelly

There's this: http://www.planetdirt.com/

Hi Kelly, for our area this group may be of interest. http://www.netra.org/ They run a bunch of events and while I don't think many are running more that the 450X, it might give you a feel for riding the rock-pile that is New England. Gary

There was talk from Jim Hyde at the Mines and Meadows Rally last September of him definately doing something on theeast coast this year again. He mentioned perhaps the MOA Rally, another Mines and Meadows, or possibly at a private location. If so, I recommend them. RawHyde

Hi Kelly, for our area this group may be of interest. http://www.netra.org/ They run a bunch of events and while I don't think many are running more that the 450X, it might give you a feel for riding the rock-pile that is New England. Gary

One of the Fedex drivers that delivers to me is a trail rider and netra member. He had about 30 bikes in the stable when we last talked.

Hello Kelly,

There is little formal instruction in New England however if you participate in any of the events put on by Max BMW Motorcycles there are plenty of opportunities for some informal coaching.

In the mean time I suggest you take a look at the Dirtwise by Shane Watts series of DVD's. I took Shane's course last year on my 450 and it made a huge difference in my speed and confidence.

While I do race the 450 I took the course because while I do ok in the woods I've never had any formal training. It was a real eye opener and three weeks later Max was commenting on how much smoother I was off road on my Adventure.

What are you riding?

Find a Mentor:)

Nothing quite equals a great mentor dirt guy/gal, if you can find one! Partner up with one of these folks if you ever do find the right guy/gal that rides dirt a lot like myself and your worries will be over. Start a search on the computer for your area and you'll likely find some results. My idea of a great mentor would be a rider with lots of patience and time to show you the ropes:), not leaving you behind and always smiling and getting dirty with you...The best. You'll learn best, one on one instruction and classes are great fun too, but I suggest you try my method and find a rider with the above. I've done this myself, training some close friends and it works well. Lifetime friendships will prevail... Randy

Hello Kelly,

There is little formal instruction in New England however if you participate in any of the events put on by Max BMW Motorcycles there are plenty of opportunities for some informal coaching.

In the mean time I suggest you take a look at the Dirtwise by Shane Watts series of DVD's. I took Shane's course last year on my 450 and it made a huge difference in my speed and confidence.

While I do race the 450 I took the course because while I do ok in the woods I've never had any formal training. It was a real eye opener and three weeks later Max was commenting on how much smoother I was off road on my Adventure.

What are you riding?

getting my 2009 g650gs thursday!!!:brad

subbing for info, esp. would love to hear any reports from the above course.

thank you,
-tp

What I know about Planet Dirt:

Planet Dirt is part of "Training Wheels" in Mssachusetts and they teach scores of MSF courses at several locations around here every year and always fill up their slots. I took the Basic Rider Course when I got back on a bike after 30 years in 2003 and the Experienced Rider Course in 2007. They do a very good job. I will prolly take the Planet Dirt course when I get some dual sport tires on the 250 Kawasaki Supermotard I just bought. :D

Also, there is an MSF dirt bike video that's prolly close to what is covered. I've watched it a few times and it seems like a good starter level program.

A Fine Ride, Kelly;

It will bring many smiles to ya, I'm sure. Always rememeber to smile, even when it gets tough for ya. One of my main fellow man/woman speeches in dirt, "Ride On" and let it run off your back, as a duck does water off its! You're bound to have a face in the dirt moment someday, if you go there and its all in your "spirit" how you learn to deal with it all. Adventures are so rewarding for those willing to go find'em "OFF The Beaten Path":):):). Remember the smile thing. Happy Trails to ya Kelly, Randy"Polarbear"

Back