• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tail bag advice

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
My top case went with the 1150R when I moved to the R12R. So I'm looking at the the WOLFMAN DRY DUFFEL or the KRIEGA US 20 (or maybe the combo 30) to sit on the back for the weekend trips.

Looks like the Wolfman would be waterproof in a driving rain and it's a 40ltr. Would sit nicely on the back of my new (2007) 12R and I think it would look ok.

With the Kriega would need the combo (more $$) to get to 30 ltrs, they look great and they say they are waterproof but are they really waterproof?

Anyone use either of these --- any advice.....

How about a big bright yellow Ortlieb with a roll seal. Heavy duty, fully waterproof, tie it down with ROK Straps.

Or the waterproof Seattle Duffle in any of a couple sizes.

I use a large Seattle for al my camping gear, my large Ortlieb is on loan to a friend for road trips, and I use a smaller Ortlieb for cookng gear- all on the back seat of my RT.

See Rider Wearhouse, the Aerostich guys..

If you just want a place to carry stuff then rider7's suggestion is a good one. If you want a tail bag to serve as a soft sided top case - frequent and easy in, easy out, for miscellaneous stuff then you need a bag designed as a tail bag for this purpose.

I don't really know which of the two mentioned will work best or be the most water resistant but suspect that in the rain neither would substitute for a good hard top case. If it were my bike, for my needs, I'd bite the bullet and get a topcase. BMW makes one. GIVI can be made to fit. Even JC Whitney had a couple last time I looked.

Take a look at the tail bag BMW sells for the old F650GS single.

It will fit on just about any bike and is roomy and easy to mount and access. I use it on a 93 GSPD as well as a 07 R12R. It would fit on my RT but I have a top box. It is available at A&S BMW under the F650GS single. Probably available through any BMW dealer.

Attachments

• 72607671316_tn.JPG
    72607671316_tn.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,573
Here's a picture of it mounted on my wife's F650. We put a backpack cover over them to keep them clean and add an extra measure of water proofing. I also add a rock strap to hold the cover on. Never had any water get inside the pack.

IMG_0428.jpg

Ok - some good ideas. I am hoping to, at least for awhile, avoid the $500 for the BMW top case. But Paul, you may be right, it may be the best bet in the long run.

But first, I will look at the bag for the 650 to see what that looks like - thanks AKBeemer.

Ok - some good ideas. I am hoping to, at least for awhile, avoid the $500 for the BMW top case. But Paul, you may be right, it may be the best bet in the long run.

But first, I will look at the bag for the 650 to see what that looks like - thanks AKBeemer.

Oh, I understand the $$$ issue very well. But sometimes just biting the bullet and getting what really works the first time saves $$$ on down the road. There are too many variables for me to give good advice. What is in it? How often do you get in it? So what if it gets wet? Or God help me if it gets wet. How often will I be in the rain?

Maybe a good tail bag - but with a good rain cover - becomes the compromise.

I use the Wolfman on my R12R. It works fine but I cut off most of the straps and just use a Rok Strap to hold it down. Be sure and order the shoulder strap (which is extra) if you get one.

Tail bag advice, some options

All the suggestions and comments offered up are good, so I'll just add a couple...

To answer one query - the Kriega dry-bags/packs are absolutely waterproof and withstand a lot of abuse, my evaluation here, http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/kriega-luggage/kriega-drypack-luggage-review.htm, should provide some insight.

I never run out of uses for them, separate and together. The 40 litre combo, for travelling is especially useful, by strapping the 20 and two x 10 bags together. Any combination is possible. The 5 and 10 litre bags are great on top of the panniers or as small tool bags and daypacks for the off-road forays, etc. Waiting for a tankbag adapter to try it.

Another top case solution is SHAD. I had an adapter plate with two home-made aluminum brackets on my 2009 R1200R, until it got traded for the 10RT. The 'custom' adapter kit is on it now - both the SH49 and SH50 trunks are right-sized for the machine.

I have a specific RT mount kit coming from SHAD USA and hopefully one of the new SH48 top cases - will let y'all know how that goes. This kit might fit the R as well...haven't checked the compatibility list lately. I have found the SHAD products more than on part with Givi and more cost effective...

SHAD also makes a specific plate kit for the F650/800s as well...so I can use the top cases on anything in the home fleet.

My 0.02 CAD worth. Bruce

More good thoughts - thanx - - - -and Lee - - great looking 1300!

and Paul - I suspect you are right and I may later regret this but since I just traded up to the R12R (with no test ride but lots of research - thanks again guys) the BMW top case will need to wait another year - as they say, the baby needs new shoes, or maybe, the college students need more tuition - you choose!!!!!

Either way I am ahead of the game - I loved my 1150 and with 40lbs lost and 23hp on the upside, not to mention some new techno stuff, how can life be anything but grand!

There is a "U" bag that sits acoss the back tail bag mount but has 2 spacious bags attached that sit on your side bags. Cannot remember (CRS) name of manufacturer but I have seen several at Rallys. They hold more than a top bag by a wide margin and are waterproof.

From http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50781

I just picked up this little rig from T-Bags.com. They mostly cater to HD riders but their Falcon & Falcon Top Bag model ($140) is well sized for my /5 (especially since my wife doesn't ride anymore). The separate "Top Bag" can be used to strap down stuff, like a jacket. I like it a lot so far. It came with a water-resistant cover so I'm guessing it isn't ... but most of this soft-ware isn't as far as I can tell.

falcon_04.gif
falcon_05.gif

Addendum to the above: the rain covers proved to be up to the task.

Back