• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Edelweiss Tucson, AZ Touring Center

jmrosie

I'm taking the three day version of touring according to Edelweiss. Has anyone been? Tell me about your experience.

Unhappy customer

Good luck to you. Have the phone number of the resort handy in case no one bothers to pick you up at the airport; that happened to me. Be prepared that the resort does not know the party who should have met you...bring money for long cab ride.
I did that tour last year. I found the accomodations to be second class at best, the "resort" while on nice grounds, is well past its prime. You can hear your neighbor change his mind. The service from the resort staff was, ummm, difficult; good luck getting a drink with your dinner.
Good luck getting the bike you want to ride, and if you decide you don't want to ride it, they are not going to let you swap it. Bring a map, my guide told me "we're not here to babysit you". That was his response to my concern that the guides do not wait for the group when leaving coffee & gas stops. Demand a tank bag for said map, not all bikes were provided tank bags. If you are the slow rider in the group, all more reason for the map, the hot-dog tour guides will be long gone.

On the plus side...Lil Abner's steak house was excellent.

I've never wasted so much money having so little fun, I hope your millage varies.

Tucson Touring Center

I've taken seven Edelwiess tours and the only one which was less than what it should have been was the Tucson tour. Guide and the routes he chose sucked. The hotel was great - but the guide explained that it was not their usual hotel, so maybe I lucked out on that part of the tour.

Edelweiss has hired new guides for the US and I have met one of them. Seems like a major improvement over the former one.

Good luck - hope it works out well for you. Just remember that Tucson has never been typical of an Edelweiss tour. All their other tours offer the best experience in the bike tour industry.

I'm scared!

My husband and I are booked to go on the AZ tour the first weekend in March, and after reading this, I am a little nervous. Our experience so far hasn't been that great, since they called about 3 weeks ago and said it would be canceled because we are the only ones booked and after about a week of back and forth about refunds, etc., they said it is going, even though we are the only ones. I imagine it will be a little different on a personal tour, rather than a group tour. Oh well! We are looking forward to the Welcome Reception so we can meet each other! :D

Tucson, AZ Touring Center

Just got back from the Edelweiss Touring Center in Tucson, AZ. I did their first tour of the season, 3 days, 2/17-2/20. The weather was pretty good, with some moisture on the roads but only got wet one time.

The routes and the roads were a totally different story, unless you're into fighting an hour of urban congestion both ways, droning on very straight but senic roads for long periods for brief period of curves and elevation changes.

I thought it was an extremely poor value for the money and will go back to Arizona next winter, but will find another hotel and another source for the bike rental and probably spend half the money.

The Westward Look Hotel was decent, but way past it's heyday. Food was great, but very expensive. Abner's was indeed good and I will go back there.

The tour guide and the tour members were all good people and were a good group of riders. One good thing-you don't have to group ride if you don't want to. The group moves at a less than brisk pace, but splitting up is encouraged.

tucson

I grew up in Tucson and now live in the midwest.

Try "Sabino canon" and "mount lemon" if you want some twisties and elavation changes. You could also try kit peak or out by the dessert museum and old tucson.

My wife and I were just back there in January and stoped at Iron Horse. These guys were pretty cool and I got to go kick tires with my dad who started me off on his 72 /5 toaster some 37 years ago.

Tucson has grown up to be a retirement community, which is depressing because I spent some of my best years riding the trails on an old hodaka.
Now it is all houses and gated communities.

The roads are of good quality and once you get out of the city into the canon or mountains you will not regret it.

Gmac

jmrosie said:
Just got back from the Edelweiss Touring Center in Tucson, AZ. I did their first tour of the season, 3 days, 2/17-2/20. The weather was pretty good, with some moisture on the roads but only got wet one time.

Got any pictures?

Pictures of Mt. Lemon and Kitts Peak

I went to both those places on the Tucson Edelweiss tour. Both were the curves we rode long distances to enjoy.

We rode in snow at the top of Mt. Lemon...it was quite an experience. Sections of the Mt. Lemon Road were brand new, some were dirt, and the rest were covered with moisture for most of the ride. Exciting, and challenging, but lower speeds were in order.

Kitts Peak was a hoot, except it was marred with excessive "tar strips", making a lot of driving necessary in the curves. It is a good fast road with no curves that will surprise you. All good, except those darn tar strips.

Pictures posted later.

My only complaint if I were a customer is the manner in which they advertize their tour durations in their brochures.

I mean a 16 day vacation as listed in the Royal Alpine Vacation is really a 13 day vacation, and if you take riding days into account, 6 days if rest days are non riding days.

I find it questionable that the day you depart for Europe, the day you arrive, and the day you depart to return, are counted as part of the 16 day vacation. Those days can hardly be counted as part of the "vacation". False advertizing by what I assume is a well run organization.

SheRidesABeemer said:
I've never wasted so much money having so little fun, I hope your mileage varies.

Sounds like an honest report!

I came across a group of Edelweiss riders on the Jaufenpass in Italy some years back. A month later, I came across the same lady that was on that tour while at the BMW MOA Rally in Trenton, Ontario. She wasn't a happy camper. Apparently, one of the riders brought his wife along in a rented car. The tour group had to wait for the rider's wife to catch up which slowed the tour down, understandably as cars can't pass on mountain roads very easily.

I've often wondered about getting into that business with my background over there. I'd certainly do it for a lot less with less frills, after all, we're there to ride.

Global Rider said:
I've often wondered about getting into that business with my background over there. I'd certainly do it for a lot less with less frills, after all, we're there to ride.
You are onto something. I would not mind doing a packaged tour but the cost is prohibitive & time is a very valuable resource these days. Besides I don't care about the "resort" I want to ride.

Grey Matter said:
You are onto something. I would not mind doing a packaged tour but the cost is prohibitive & time is a very valuable resource these days. Besides I don't care about the "resort", I want to ride.

Well if I ever got into it, a 10 day tour would be a 10 day tour; you'd arrive a day or two early and leave the day after the tour.

No fancy support van. If you have to pack so much gear that you need a tour van to cart your luggage around, it is time to consider travelling by car.

Motorcycles wouldn't necessarily have to be current model years. After all, it isn't about what you ride, its about where you ride. I don't know where motorcycle rental companies come up with their rental rates. If it is insurance, then have large insurance deductible deposits, which is what they are already anyways.

Rooms would be simple and comfortable. If someone absolutely needs a whirlpool tub after a day in the saddle, its time to quit motorcycling. :D Just to give you a heads up, one can very comfortably spend the night including breakfast and dinner for less than €50, or about US$66. In my case, the generous breakfasts holds me over to dinner without issues. Gas runs less than €20 or about US$26 per day (BTW, not included in any tour prices).

The question has always been, would I like to lead a tour where some of the riders can't handle real tight twistes? That might be pure torture.

Global Rider said:
No fancy support van. If you have to pack so much gear that you need a tour van to cart your luggage around, it is time to consider travelling by car.
Oh I like the sound of that. How a bout an organized ÔÇ£Adventure TourÔÇØ. I have always dreamed of riding in Africa, but the logistics involved are staggering. I want to be more or less self sufficient, not rely on a support van or other outside help. Just a much of riders working together.

To me the tour manager would work out the logistics. I would just show up & ride with my gear on my/a bike. That way I could maximize my vacation time.

Grey Matter said:
Oh I like the sound of that. How a bout an organized ÔÇ£Adventure TourÔÇØ. I have always dreamed of riding in Africa, but the logistics involved are staggering. I want to be more or less self sufficient, not rely on a support van or other outside help. Just a much of riders working together.

To me the tour manager would work out the logistics. I would just show up & ride with my gear on my/a bike. That way I could maximize my vacation time.

Check out Voni's latest adventure over at Ayer's Adventures IIRC she and Paul were in Africa for three weeks as hosts.

BradfordBenn said:
Check out Voni's latest adventure over at Ayer's Adventures IIRC she and Paul were in Africa for three weeks as hosts.
Brad, I can't believe I did not think of this. You know I think I am going to shoot for 2006. I have wanted to go to Africa since I was a kid.

Grey Matter said:

Logistics? It isn't any more complicated than riding anywhere else. Sure, you need to get the usual cross border documents and possibly a Carnet de Passage. You'd want to carry a few spares and a sat phone.

Well self sufficient touring and organized tours are at the opposite ends of the scale. It all depends what kind of tour you want to experience, the real thing where you rely on yourself, or a fabricated tour. I prefer the tour where I can say "I did this all by myself"; the real adventure.

Plus, $5950 for a 2 week tour? Yikes and you have to add airfare to that and other extras.

Why not organize one yourself with other friends. Don't let uncertainty and fear enter the equation. You might start off in Spain and then take the ferry over to Morocco and Tunisia for starters.

Grey Matter wrote:

That's the beauty of going with a GREAT tour company. Expensive is really a relative term. When you consider there is NO waste of your valuable time finding the VERY BEST roads, the VERY BEST places to lay your head, and the VERY BEST food -and camaraderie! - sharing all that at the end of the day, making lifetime friends. Letting someone else work out the worries. It's not expensive. It's priceless!

Voni
still sMiling and remembering

Back