• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R

Rivercircle

I'm a new member and looking forward to the community of the club. I'm an RN who tries to ride every month of the year, tricky when the snow hits. Waiting for spring- leather just gets too heavy! I'm enjoying reading the posts and know this site will be a valuable addition to my riding experiences. Nice to see other women riders on here as well.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm from PA. Actually, the town the rally will be held in this July (Bloomsburg). Very nice area for biking.
Thanks for the info re: Women of the MOA. I've been getting lots of smiles from it.

Welcome, Rivercircle!

I'm just a short trip south in DE. Perhaps we can catch up for a ride!

What are you riding?

Rivercircle -

So...we'll all drop in for a visit Wednesday night before the Rally, ok? Can your backyard fit, say, 5,000 campers? BTW -- we're all pretty friendly here, it's ok to use your name/nickname!

Welcome!

Rivercircle I hope you have a BIG back yard,thats a lot of tents.Looks like you picked the perfect time to join.Set up your members acct.so we can see what you ride and where abouts are you from,most of us are not stalkers;)

Thanks to all replys and welcomes!

Yep, back yard is accommodating, and hope to meet members during the rally. Sorry about the profile info. I have yet to receive my membership #; locked out of submitting info without it. I ride a Buell, :blush, but like what I see and read about the BMW's.

Laney

welcome!!
I'm a fellow Rn and my new beemer is being delivered thursday!!!!
If you are ever in western mass. please be in touch. great area to ride.
glad to see another new women member!!!
Kelly:clap

welcome!!
I'm a fellow Rn and my new beemer is being delivered thursday!!!!
If you are ever in western mass. please be in touch. great area to ride.
glad to see another new women member!!!
Kelly:clap

Hey there, Kelley! I'm also in WMass near Northampton. PM me and I'll give you my contact info. Lot's of great riding in our parts and better riding in VT and NH!

No shame in riding a Buell. We have a few in the MSF program here in DE and Rider's Edge uses all Buells. Personally, I find them difficult after riding my BMW and I'm often amazed at a true newbie who does just fine on them during a class.

You can still hang with us! :D

Here's a big thank you! I think my size (small) has a lot to do with my bike fitting me well. Anyway, it isn't my last bike by any means, and I'm being inspired by all the great photos on this site. Maybe when I grow up (lol), a K1000RS?

Last edited:
so is this where we make reservations to camp for the ralley???? :eat

Welcome!

greg

Well heck yea Greg. I figure I could hold about 60 bikes, owners are another story. :D

Laney

Yep, back yard is accommodating, and hope to meet members during the rally. Sorry about the profile info. I have yet to receive my membership #; locked out of submitting info without it. I ride a Buell, :blush, but like what I see and read about the BMW's.

Laney

Wow, Laney, what model Buell do you have? My XB9 has such a short wheel base, it's quite fun in the twisties!

You're right, the curves are fun. I have an '00 650. It gets the job done, but I'm ready for an upgrade. Just spent the last few hours checking out bikes on the Flea Market link. My wish list has expanded considerably......
Nice to talk to someone from PA. Let me know if you are ever riding near Bloom.

You are going to get a complete immersion in BMW culture at the National in your backyard! Lots of activities, all manner of BMW bikes, specialty vendors aplenty, seminars on everything from trips to mechanicals to women's riding issues and lots more. Hope you can plan to do the whole thing though you WILL be forced to pick and choose- too much going on.

Think about volunteering on one of the rally committees to work a shift (like registration or similar) if you want to see some of the workings and meet a whole lot of people. I was at the RA rally last year as a volunteer and met a bunch of folks- and that rally is only 1/4 the size of the MOA rally.

Re bikes- well my petite female riding companion really likes her R1100S and has done a bunch of track days with it in addition to running around with guys with hot K bikes. She thinks my stock height R1200RT and a K1200RS are too big for her. That R1100S or an R1200S might fit you as well- both out of production for a while but good used examples pop up. Its more about how you like the bikes ergos and handling than pure power - pretty much any BMW has more speed than you can fully use on the street. The fun is in the twisties.

There is a computerized motorcycle ergonomics simulator at http://cycle-ergo.com/
It's menu driven and easy to use. You could compare the ergos of your Buell to other models that interest you and see the impact on your riding position without ever having to actually sit on an example. Don't know if it has your Buell model but you can do a lot of comparisons if you use it fully.

Last edited:
I'm finding out just how comprehensive this site is. Thanks for the very valuable info. I did submit a request to volunteer at the rally on the same day that I became a member. Looking forward to that opportunity!
In my excitement in my search for an upgrade (uh o...) I am drawn to the K1200RS. I'll probably be laughing at myself when I get on one, but my next step is visiting my local (40 mi) BMW dealer. The simulator site you mentioned may tweak my favs list somewhat. Can't wait to check that site out.
Nice to wake up to helpful info and a cup of java with this site.

Laney-
You may need a long reach for the K1200RS unless you're pretty tall. I'm 6'0" with 35" sleeves. For me its a fairly long reach in the shortest bar position and a very uncomfortable reach at a full forward bar setting- requiring a true "down on the tank" position to take load of my back and shoulders. That works fine for short play but wouldn't work for me for long runs- too hard on the back, etc. But a bunch depends on how comfortable you are with various ergo positions. Hence that simulator to help sort stuff.
Other than that- the K has a nice motor and very predictable handling but also has the maintenance complications of all those models. Don't underrate the boxers or even the 800 motors as in the new to US, 800R (or 800ST). Boxers especially are much simpler to maintain- easy access to bits, no water cooling and straight forward procedures.

You're right, the curves are fun. I have an '00 650. It gets the job done, but I'm ready for an upgrade. Just spent the last few hours checking out bikes on the Flea Market link. My wish list has expanded considerably......
Nice to talk to someone from PA. Let me know if you are ever riding near Bloom.

Laney, what is a Buell 650?

I live near Harrisburg so I don't get up to Bloomsburg. I am however planning to volunteer at the Rally.

Back