Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie

Rivercircle
    You're right, the curves are fun. I have an '00 650. It gets the job done, but I'm ready for an upgrade. Just spent the last few hours checking out bikes on the Flea Market link. My wish list has expanded considerably......
    Nice to talk to someone from PA. Let me know if you are ever riding near Bloom.

You are going to get a complete immersion in BMW culture at the National in your backyard! Lots of activities, all manner of BMW bikes, specialty vendors aplenty, seminars on everything from trips to mechanicals to women's riding issues and lots more. Hope you can plan to do the whole thing though you WILL be forced to pick and choose- too much going on.

Think about volunteering on one of the rally committees to work a shift (like registration or similar) if you want to see some of the workings and meet a whole lot of people. I was at the RA rally last year as a volunteer and met a bunch of folks- and that rally is only 1/4 the size of the MOA rally.

Re bikes- well my petite female riding companion really likes her R1100S and has done a bunch of track days with it in addition to running around with guys with hot K bikes. She thinks my stock height R1200RT and a K1200RS are too big for her. That R1100S or an R1200S might fit you as well- both out of production for a while but good used examples pop up. Its more about how you like the bikes ergos and handling than pure power - pretty much any BMW has more speed than you can fully use on the street. The fun is in the twisties.

There is a computerized motorcycle ergonomics simulator at http://cycle-ergo.com/
    It's menu driven and easy to use. You could compare the ergos of your Buell to other models that interest you and see the impact on your riding position without ever having to actually sit on an example. Don't know if it has your Buell model but you can do a lot of comparisons if you use it fully.
    Last edited by racer7; 02-24-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Rivercircle
    I'm finding out just how comprehensive this site is. Thanks for the very valuable info. I did submit a request to volunteer at the rally on the same day that I became a member. Looking forward to that opportunity!
    In my excitement in my search for an upgrade (uh o...) I am drawn to the K1200RS. I'll probably be laughing at myself when I get on one, but my next step is visiting my local (40 mi) BMW dealer. The simulator site you mentioned may tweak my favs list somewhat. Can't wait to check that site out.
    Nice to wake up to helpful info and a cup of java with this site.

Laney-
    You may need a long reach for the K1200RS unless you're pretty tall. I'm 6'0" with 35" sleeves. For me its a fairly long reach in the shortest bar position and a very uncomfortable reach at a full forward bar setting- requiring a true "down on the tank" position to take load of my back and shoulders. That works fine for short play but wouldn't work for me for long runs- too hard on the back, etc. But a bunch depends on how comfortable you are with various ergo positions. Hence that simulator to help sort stuff.
    Other than that- the K has a nice motor and very predictable handling but also has the maintenance complications of all those models. Don't underrate the boxers or even the 800 motors as in the new to US, 800R (or 800ST). Boxers especially are much simpler to maintain- easy access to bits, no water cooling and straight forward procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivercircle View Post
    You're right, the curves are fun. I have an '00 650. It gets the job done, but I'm ready for an upgrade. Just spent the last few hours checking out bikes on the Flea Market link. My wish list has expanded considerably......
    Nice to talk to someone from PA. Let me know if you are ever riding near Bloom.
    Laney, what is a Buell 650?

I live near Harrisburg so I don't get up to Bloomsburg. I am however planning to volunteer at the Rally.
    09 HP2 Sport: '06 K12R; '09 Buell XB9SX

Rivercircle

Hey Racer7

Unless I can coax my legs to grow a bit, the 800's may be more in line for me. I do check out seat height specs, but get carried away with other bike features.
    At 5'5 on a good day, I run into this every time I get on a bike. I seriously won't do the tip toe and lean thing at a stop. Thats just asking for trouble. Hope you won't mind if I pick your brain when I have it narrowed down after test rides?

Hi, Laney,
    My late wife kept telling me, in 2001 and 2002, that she wanted to get back into riding. So I took her to the Blitz to Branson in 2002 and she asked every woman rider there if she could sit on her bike. From that, she determined she wanted a K75 with a low seat. I still have her last K75, a '94 with windshield, bags, ABS brakes, heated grips and crash bars, and ride it frequently. When you go to a rally, don't be afraid to ask questions, for help, whatever. Welcome to BMWMOA!
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Rivercircle
    Thanks Phil,

I got an idea of how much I don't know about BMW's today after visiting my first dealership. (whaddaya mean the 650's are really 800cc's??) lol
    But, they sure are pretty! Dealership didn't have any of the lower 800's in stock for me to try out, but they promised to call when one comes in. I may be planning a day trip to other dealers just to check out a larger inventory.
    Your wife sounds like she was one cool lady.

Laney,
    You're about the same height as my female riding companion and tall enough that you have quite a few choices in BMW's new and used. While new bikes are nice, there often some sweet deals to be found on used models and you can find bikes that have been out of production a while if you are patient. BMW is pretty good about parts so just because a machine is out of production is no reason to stay away from it, if you like it. And you'll need to evaluate other stuff like how much weather protection you want (if the model name ends with a T it has more than otherwise).
    If you're into new and it fits you, well respected Motorcycle Consumer News (an ad-free publication) has just had extremely good things to say about the F800R that's been available in Europe for a while but is now being imported here. Its just the latest edition in the size range so compare the whole set. The R is a "naked" and there are ST and GS models you've probably seen by now. A lot depends on what kind of riding you want to do with the bike and a new bike will open up new possibilities.
    The comments about what female riders like may well be more useful to you than what guys like me think but I'll add my $0.02 when you ask. At 6', I still find a lot of BMW's to be annoyingly tall and I'm not paranoid about having to put both feet flat. But there are women your height who ride the big bikes so don't think you're automatically stuck with an 800. My riding companion loves her R1100S (an 04 model) but I am currently fitting it with a larger screen and barbacks because she wants to do road trips with me and wants a slightly more upright position for 500 mile days. Such parts are available, many after market only, for most BMWs- its pretty easy to make some adjustments to most of the models even if its not always with factory parts.
    If you can wait until the National before springing for a new machine, you will be able to see examples of everything made and most things BMW has ever made, and sit on all kinds of stuff just by asking- plus you can get the opinions of the female riders there.
    No matter how many showrooms or computer simulators you see, nothing else will match that opportunity.
    Paul Winter
    aka racer7

Welcome

Glad to see another poster from Pa. I think it is great more and more women are piloting their own bikes. Have been trying for 30 yrs to get my wife interested in riding her own , but no luck. If you are planing a trip through this part of the state give us a ring.. See you in Bloomsburg this summer George
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT

Rivercircle
    Thanks George. Ditto to you and your wife.
    I'm thinking your wife must really like being next to you to pass up on her own bike. Hope to see you both at the rally.